G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 08:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Got a beautiful weather weekend coming up and... have to drive out of town to the inlaws. In her car, in case she decides to stop at IKEA on the way back. I mean, I love my inlaws, they're great people and the house is like a mountain vacation rental, but always, always, when I want to work on the car. Do we go up when it's a crappy weather weekend here? Nope.
I feel your pain, Mike. First world problems are the absolute worst. Good luck suffering through all that.
The following users liked this post:
Tdotg37 (03-27-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 09:07 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
Ah, ennui, my old friend. LOL

I think it's getting warm enough down here that I'm looking at the end of South Carolina's winter (usually 2 weeks in February) and itching to get stuff done before the end of South Carolina's spring (April 1st) whereupon it's 80+ humidity and temperature outside. My wife and I are talking about a complete garage reorg so I can put at least one car in it, although that will take structural work to the house. The double garage doors were bought on clearance by the builder and don't clear my car - too narrow. No one in my development parks their car inside unless they've had the center beam knocked out and replaced with 1 large garage door.

Of a car related note, I replaced the driver's sun visor that had a broken hinge, and the map lights from SuperBrightLEDs that had failed with ones from Diode Dynamics. But I think the next car work shall be on the famwagon CX5.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:34 AM
tsuintx
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Been to Dragon with my old bike (BMW R1100RT) a few years ago and while it was cool, I enjoyed all the surrounding roads (Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway etc.) much better. Much more fun, especially with a bike. I couldn't even imagine doing the Dragon in a car with all the traffic.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:17 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Yeah, I've had friends with the NC Miata club that have had a LOT of near misses with semis on the dragon. I guess they're all trying to avoid the tolls/weigh stations on I40.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:12 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Yeah, I've had friends with the NC Miata club that have had a LOT of near misses with semis on the dragon. I guess they're all trying to avoid the tolls/weigh stations on I40.
Originally Posted by tsuintx
Been to Dragon with my old bike (BMW R1100RT) a few years ago and while it was cool, I enjoyed all the surrounding roads (Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway etc.) much better. Much more fun, especially with a bike. I couldn't even imagine doing the Dragon in a car with all the traffic.
we must have gone at a good time cause traffic wasn’t bad at all. Nearly had the place to ourselves honestly. It was in late March to mid April..? Somewhere around that time and it was absolutely beautiful. Also to my knowledge, semis are not allowed to use that road anymore. But who knows. Mostly saw bikes 🏍 a few Vettes, some miatas and an assortment of other sporty cars down there.
i just love driving in Tennessee and the smokies in general. All the elevation changes and banked turns... ahhh it’s some good driving. Oh and the tunnels are fun too with a loud exhaust lol 😂
Old 02-25-2021, 03:09 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts
So I had bought this "low-profile" Pittsburgh floor jack a month or two ago because I needed a new floor jack.

Yesterday I was going to jack up the front of the car to change my Eibach front sway from soft to firm setting, and the jack doesn't even fit under the front bumper! The front "cup" portion does, but the rear where the handle is, is too tall, and our front jack point is way far back.

My car isn't even lowered that much!! It has Nismo 370z springs which only drop it 0.75" and smaller diameter tires which brings it down a few tenths of an inch too. I don't have any 2x4's or ramps to drive up on, either. I tried to just turn the tire far left/right and it gave me some room to reach and get to the bolt, but that thing is freaking tight and I don't have any power tools that I can get on there either. I really hate when I can't work on my car because of stupid crap like this. Something as simple as loosening 1 bolt and moving it to the next slot.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:05 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by backman_66
So I had bought this "low-profile" Pittsburgh floor jack a month or two ago because I needed a new floor jack.

Yesterday I was going to jack up the front of the car to change my Eibach front sway from soft to firm setting, and the jack doesn't even fit under the front bumper! The front "cup" portion does, but the rear where the handle is, is too tall, and our front jack point is way far back.

My car isn't even lowered that much!! It has Nismo 370z springs which only drop it 0.75" and smaller diameter tires which brings it down a few tenths of an inch too. I don't have any 2x4's or ramps to drive up on, either. I tried to just turn the tire far left/right and it gave me some room to reach and get to the bolt, but that thing is freaking tight and I don't have any power tools that I can get on there either. I really hate when I can't work on my car because of stupid crap like this. Something as simple as loosening 1 bolt and moving it to the next slot.
do you have any landscape tiles or bricks you could drive up on? Not the big blocks obviously
Old 02-25-2021, 04:23 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

I may have some landscaping blocks I could use..
Old 02-26-2021, 01:13 AM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I just drove mine today.
The following users liked this post:
BoomerSpeed01 (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 02:17 AM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Pretty common since the front jacking point is soo far back on the cross member. My low pro floor jack doesn’t reach it either. Luckily I have multiple jacks.

Here is the easiest solution. Get a second jack, hopefully you have your spare tire jack in the trunk, and lift up the car from either side. Get it up enough to fit your floor jack under the front cross member. Done deal.

Edit: And obviously get some jack stands under the sides for safety.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:20 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

I may have some landscaping blocks I could use..
I may have skipped over it if you mentioned it, but did you try getting at the lift point from the side of the car?
If it's that far back, shouldn't you be able to go behind the front tire(s) and get to the jack point that way as well?
I've never tried to use the front center jack point on mine so I could be completely wrong, just throwing the idea out there.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:55 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts

My low profile struggles to go under on stock sport springs. Your best affordable step is some wood work. Some planks of wood 2x4 etc so you can drive on to give you the inch to slide it under. These can serve as wheel "chucks" as well.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:58 AM
VibrantSedan13
Registered Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Got the G detailed and topped off with ceramic coating.

The following 2 users liked this post by VibrantSedan13:
BULL (03-01-2021), SwiftKit (03-02-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 10:02 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by BULL
My low profile struggles to go under on stock sport springs. Your best affordable step is some wood work. Some planks of wood 2x4 etc so you can drive on to give you the inch to slide it under. These can serve as wheel "chucks" as well.
I'd recommend 2x8 or 2x10 just so you are supporting *most* of the tread.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:24 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look for some pieces of wood to use!

VibrantSedan13, your car looks incredible!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?