G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 07:02 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I've used one like this for years:

The pic comes from Harbor Freight, but mine are from a tool truck back when I was wrenching on airplanes (so maybe ~1999?) The silver safety bars help, and I have a chain I wrap around the whole deal so if one pops off under pressure it doesn't launch into orbit.
The following users liked this post:
BoomerSpeed01 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 08:36 AM
tsuintx
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a minor oopsie moment with spring compressors many many years ago and right then and there I decided that if I need to change them on a strut, I will take them to a shop to get done. One of the few things I don't want to do myself and I'll gladly pay the price. Not worth it to me
Old 02-10-2021, 08:50 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckcoupe
Swift springs from Touge Tuning, a local performance shop in Toronto
Whiteline sway bars from Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...g&fr=part-type
Meagan Racing strut tower brace off ebay.
What are the sway bar links and tie rod ends?
Old 02-10-2021, 09:45 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I've used one like this for years:

The pic comes from Harbor Freight, but mine are from a tool truck back when I was wrenching on airplanes (so maybe ~1999?) The silver safety bars help, and I have a chain I wrap around the whole deal so if one pops off under pressure it doesn't launch into orbit.
You would need to have both on opposite sides of the spring to keep it compressed evenly, correct?
Old 02-10-2021, 09:48 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
You would need to have both on opposite sides of the spring to keep it compressed evenly, correct?
That is correct! I just did my springs using a tool like this. Just alternate sides as you compress the spring.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:29 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
Yes. The chain around the whole thing keeps them from flying off if something slips - never happened to me, but I've seen it happen so. Chain.

For *some* cars, you can just unbolt the top hat attached to the car, jack the car up and let the car itself decompress the springs. Of course, you may run into the issue that there's not enough suspension travel to fully decompress the spring which leaves you stuck. Not that that has ever happened to me, no sir.
BoomerSpeed01 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 08:39 PM
canuckcoupe
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
What are the sway bar links and tie rod ends?
The 2 pairs of sway bar links come with the Whiteline sway bar kit.
There are no tie rod ends in that picture.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:02 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by canuckcoupe
The 2 pairs of sway bar links come with the Whiteline sway bar kit.
There are no tie rod ends in that picture.
Ahh ok, just saw the two pairs and assumed they were both for the front end. Spaced on the fact that you got both sway bars.
I know the beefed up sway bars "stiffen things up", but can someone explain in noob terms what it does to the driving dynamics? lol Like do they effect the ride, body roll, etc..
Old 02-11-2021, 03:20 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts
There's a good discussion of it here:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../162127/page1/

Sway bars only work to stiffen up the spring rate while turning. You'll also feel extra harshness when going over bumps because it stiffens up the connection from 1 side of the car to the other. They will reduce body roll when turning. You can also buy adjustable sways to fine tune your understeer / oversteer balance. This is my understanding which may not be 100% accurate.

In that thread I linked, they basically say that a racecar will use stiffer springs and small / no sways. For a DD, you'll want to only stiffen the springs up to the point that you can tolerate for comfort.. but you can do more of this with sways for a less overall harsh ride.
BoomerSpeed01 (02-11-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 01:15 PM
tsuintx
Registered Member

Been stupid cold in Texas for a few days now and it's only getting worse and the x has just been sitting for a few days. Decided to go see what it says and of course it didn't say anything. Battery has kind of been on the fritz ever since I bought it, but looks like this cold weather finally did it in. Put a charger on it for a quick charge and it barely came to life. Guess it's time for a new one... Pretty sure it's at least three years old anyway.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:25 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tsuintx
Been stupid cold in Texas for a few days now and it's only getting worse and the x has just been sitting for a few days. Decided to go see what it says and of course it didn't say anything. Battery has kind of been on the fritz ever since I bought it, but looks like this cold weather finally did it in. Put a charger on it for a quick charge and it barely came to life. Guess it's time for a new one... Pretty sure it's at least three years old anyway.
A car battery should last for more than just a few years... Did it sit for a long time or something? As in weeks or months?
Old 02-12-2021, 01:37 PM
tsuintx
Registered Member

A car battery should last for more than just a few years... Did it sit for a long time or something? As in weeks or months?
In Texas the average life cycle of a car battery is around 4 years. Heat kills them here more than cold, actually. I only bought the car earlier this year and I think I saw date code of early/mid-2017 on it.

Last edited by tsuintx; 02-12-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
You know what else kills a battery after a year or two? When normal ownership means having the car sit for weeks on end while parasitic things like a remote starter or a theft system slowly suck the life out of it.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:52 PM
tsuintx
Registered Member

Haha! Hell yeah they will. Modern vehicles never really sleep, anyway. Mine never sit weeks on end, though. The G sat for maybe 4-5 days and sure, maybe there's some parasitic loss somewhere, but the battery is also old-ish, so time for a new one.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:52 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
You know what else kills a battery after a year or two? When normal ownership means having the car sit for weeks on end while parasitic things like a remote starter or a theft system slowly suck the life out of it.
That's true. Did you use those examples because you have those on your G? I know you've mentioned especially now during winter your G is garaged a lot of the time.
Originally Posted by tsuintx
In Texas the average life cycle of a car battery is around 4 years. Heat kills them here more than cold, actually. I only bought the car earlier this year and I think I saw date code of early early mid-2017 on it.
I'm in Indiana so I didn't know about the heat killing batteries. Makes sense though. Makes me want to move to Tennessee or the Carolinas even more knowing that lol

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?