G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 04:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by ngolbuff
I have the silver TBW undertray. I also have the Fumoto drain valve which I directed to pour out so it flows out perfectly through the open tray. Best money I have spent on oil related products. Hardly get my hands oily unless I juggle the oil filter.
https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...MaAud5EALw_wcB
@ngolbuff , which of the three did you get? If I do this, I'm thinking I'd like to get the long-nipple version and a length of hose, but IDK if the long nipple version clears the TBW undertray. Or maybe play it safe and get the short nipple, then get one of these for the wife's Subaru. I just changed her oil yesterday, and there's ample room for the long nipple. The plastic would be nice too, because for some reason the Subby drains oil like a freaking fire hose.

Amazon Amazon

There's the F133 (no nipple), F133S (short nipple) and the F133N (long nipple).

And now I'm just going to say "nipple" again, LOL.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:07 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
@ngolbuff , which of the three did you get? If I do this, I'm thinking I'd like to get the long-nipple version and a length of hose, but IDK if the long nipple version clears the TBW undertray. Or maybe play it safe and get the short nipple, then get one of these for the wife's Subaru. I just changed her oil yesterday, and there's ample room for the long nipple. The plastic would be nice too, because for some reason the Subby drains oil like a freaking fire hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F133S-...0546854&sr=8-4

There's the F133 (no nipple), F133S (short nipple) and the F133N (long nipple).

And now I'm just going to say "nipple" again, LOL.

I got the short nipple style. That way, I could also add on a piece of hose later on, but it will also clear the tray. I have it angled right now so it perfectly drains out in the corner of the opening without hitting the tray at all even when it slows down. Talking slow down, this will be slower than draining oil with the plug, but I crawl back out and check tires, grab drink, other misc. while it is draining for the extra minute or so.

NIPPLE. #FreeTheNips
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 07:09 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
I've got the long nipple one and the oem undertray - no clearance issues at all.

Edited to add: I don't have the plastic lock. I drilled a 1mm hole in the end of the lever and use safety wire to keep it shut... probably overkill but w/e.
FreightTrain (09-20-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 09:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Bought the F133S. Thanks guys!
Old 09-20-2020, 01:37 AM
FreightTrain
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Looking for suggestions (7AT). Had a rough idle at stops. I cleaned my throttle bodies today. Just pulled my intakes out, put the car in “On” and in drive with a brick holding the accelerator pedal down to open the butterfly valves so I wouldn’t need to touch them. Cleaned a ton of build up out. Everything reassembled car took way to long to turn over, but eventually did on the first attempted.

Drove fine, but I had a weird intermittent deeper buzz when I was stopped at a stoplight. Pulled off to check and everything seemed fine. I know it had to do with the throttle bodies because the hum was similar to my car in D with the valves open when I cleaned them. Did the pedal dances and the car was performing well above expectations afterwards in my local group.

An hour later, I’m driving home and my car experiences it’s first limp mode, on the ****in highway with construction so no pull-off lane... scared the hell out of me. Cruised through it at 28mph and ~2500 rpm and eventually was able to pull off. Shut off for 5mins, started and drove home.

Driving home there were times where the trans felt like it was about to reengage limp mode, but never did once I put a little pedal into it. If I stayed around the same mph and rpm, it would start to studder after a few mins, similar to how limp mode feels just less extreme and only until I reengauged with the pedal. If I engaged to accelerator, it would stop. 98% of the 25min drive home was normal though. Floored it through some areas (to replicate when it first occurred) that had places to pull off. No issues. No CEL ever.

kinda pisses me off lol. When I first bought the car I man-handled those throttle bodies to get them clean with no regard to the butterflys. No issues. 40k later, I try to do it safely and **** hits the fan.

My plan is to disconnect the battery, reconnect after an hour or so, then pedal dances. Basic but everything points to an ecu issue. Hoses and such all looked good and were properly secured. Butterfly’s didn’t have any loose play. Anything else I should check as I’m doing those?

no error codes and every shop was closed when it happened so no diag. I’ll do it properly tomorrow or Monday, but just looking for additional info to check.

I’ve never experienced limp mode and with an infant and one on the way, I’m not trying to put my family in danger like that. Highway limp mode was scarier than when my previous car had the accelerator pedal stuck 90% in pulling out of my driveway. I turned the key to stop that after everything else failed... That won’t work on a push to start...

Last edited by FreightTrain; 09-20-2020 at 01:46 AM.
Kpmikey808 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 10:28 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.2Lude
Probably hard to tell with the CMAK but how does the redline fluid feel?
I’m coming up on my fluid service and was considering amsoil, redline, and OEM Nissan fluids.
It would be very hard for me to single out the redline fluid. The car most likely had 45k miles on the original fluid so any change would be significant. Not to mention the CMAK & clutch fluid.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:16 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by FreightTrain
Looking for suggestions (7AT). Had a rough idle at stops. I cleaned my throttle bodies today. Just pulled my intakes out, put the car in “On” and in drive with a brick holding the accelerator pedal down to open the butterfly valves so I wouldn’t need to touch them. Cleaned a ton of build up out. Everything reassembled car took way to long to turn over, but eventually did on the first attempted.

Drove fine, but I had a weird intermittent deeper buzz when I was stopped at a stoplight. Pulled off to check and everything seemed fine. I know it had to do with the throttle bodies because the hum was similar to my car in D with the valves open when I cleaned them. Did the pedal dances and the car was performing well above expectations afterwards in my local group.

An hour later, I’m driving home and my car experiences it’s first limp mode, on the ****in highway with construction so no pull-off lane... scared the hell out of me. Cruised through it at 28mph and ~2500 rpm and eventually was able to pull off. Shut off for 5mins, started and drove home.

Driving home there were times where the trans felt like it was about to reengage limp mode, but never did once I put a little pedal into it. If I stayed around the same mph and rpm, it would start to studder after a few mins, similar to how limp mode feels just less extreme and only until I reengauged with the pedal. If I engaged to accelerator, it would stop. 98% of the 25min drive home was normal though. Floored it through some areas (to replicate when it first occurred) that had places to pull off. No issues. No CEL ever.

kinda pisses me off lol. When I first bought the car I man-handled those throttle bodies to get them clean with no regard to the butterflys. No issues. 40k later, I try to do it safely and **** hits the fan.

My plan is to disconnect the battery, reconnect after an hour or so, then pedal dances. Basic but everything points to an ecu issue. Hoses and such all looked good and were properly secured. Butterfly’s didn’t have any loose play. Anything else I should check as I’m doing those?

no error codes and every shop was closed when it happened so no diag. I’ll do it properly tomorrow or Monday, but just looking for additional info to check.

I’ve never experienced limp mode and with an infant and one on the way, I’m not trying to put my family in danger like that. Highway limp mode was scarier than when my previous car had the accelerator pedal stuck 90% in pulling out of my driveway. I turned the key to stop that after everything else failed... That won’t work on a push to start...
Did you just do the idle relearn? did you also do the accelerator pedal released position relearn and the throttle valve closed position learning? sometimes the ecu glitches a bit and gets mixed up. Hopefully its something as simple as this.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:19 PM
FreightTrain
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
Did you just do the idle relearn? did you also do the accelerator pedal released position relearn and the throttle valve closed position learning? sometimes the ecu glitches a bit and gets mixed up. Hopefully its something as simple as this.
So I got it all figured today. My garage light went out yesterday so I didn’t bother looking over things last night. Popped the hood this morning to disconnect my battery and saw one of my intakes was completely disconnected from the coupler... whoops. Not sure how I didn’t see it last night. Oh well, easy fix.
hexotic (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:28 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Such a roller coaster of emotions when something like that happens. Dread and gut wrenching when the problem happens, relief when you notice it's an easy fix, then 'Doh!'. Glad it was a simple fix.
FreightTrain (09-25-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 03:56 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Such a roller coaster of emotions when something like that happens. Dread and gut wrenching when the problem happens, relief when you notice it's an easy fix, then 'Doh!'. Glad it was a simple fix.
The feels of this!!! I realized it started happening less once I left my tablet and BT OBD reader in the car.
You could quickly open TORQUE or OBD fusion and find out the issue.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:25 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

My OBD scanner never left my Volvo. It was nice having it in there when it threw a code but when it's throwing codes every day it's a sign.

So...not sure if I just suck at painting calipers but I've tried three separate times to paint my calipers and they turn out looking like trash every time. I sand them down, clean them, primer then paint and yet, it seems like the primer won't adhere to the metal. It comes off very easily and the paint and primer just peel off. Any ideas, tips....someone close by who would like to help ?

I've had this BBK for quite a while and my wife has notified me that she's tired of seeing the rotors and pads still sitting in the office....
Old 09-22-2020, 10:10 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
Hate to ask the obvious question, but bad/incorrect primer?

When I sprayed mine (and they still look good from 5' away) I used a self-etching primer - it's kinda a gray-green. That and red caliper paint went on pretty well, has held up since January or so.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:22 AM
VibrantSedan13
Registered Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
3 inch admin intakes and tune
Old 09-22-2020, 11:36 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Hate to ask the obvious question, but bad/incorrect primer?

When I sprayed mine (and they still look good from 5' away) I used a self-etching primer - it's kinda a gray-green. That and red caliper paint went on pretty well, has held up since January or so.
After the first failed attempt, I went with VHT high heat primer and paint. It's almost like the primer and paint wont harden; despite letting it sit in the summer sun for over 5-6 Hrs to cure. It's been months since I painted them (and many more hot days sitting in the garage, 90+) and I can go out there right now and scratch it right off with my nail. There's even spots where the paint is visibly still wet.

Not sure what the issue is.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RMB5190
After the first failed attempt, I went with VHT high heat primer and paint. It's almost like the primer and paint wont harden; despite letting it sit in the summer sun for over 5-6 Hrs to cure. It's been months since I painted them (and many more hot days sitting in the garage, 90+) and I can go out there right now and scratch it right off with my nail. There's even spots where the paint is visibly still wet.

Not sure what the issue is.
Aw man, you're scaring me away from this DIY. I've been inching towards this, and now I'm spooked.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?