G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 09:50 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
Adams was just the first google result... I was looking at their custom 2-piece rotor service, not the premades that are just drilled/slotted. I know in the racing world there are a bunch of manufacturers that will custom-build 2-piece setups and stock the friction disk to make replacement relatively easy.

I've had disappointing results with Project Mu - they were not any better than Mazda pads on RX7 turbos. No experience with Endless. Ferodo was popular with some heavier car chassis when I was racing. But the dominant brands I saw at the track were Hawk and Porterfield. Toward the end of my time in NC (2008 or so) I started seeing various EBC compounds too. Have EBC Green on our CX5 as there aren't a lot of performance pad alternatives for a transportation appliance.

I've run hawks on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen RX7s street and track cars, an RX8, an RX2 race car, my Jeep Cherokee, our tow Suburban, and my Mazda3. My only problem was when running Blues on the street with a 1st gen RX7 - they wore almost completely through the rotors so you could see the shadow of the vanes inside. My fault for running a hot pad on the street.

The HP+ I had on the RX8 were breathtaking. As in, the brakes squealed because you were decelerating hard enough to squeeze the air out of your torso and couldn't make any noises yourself.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,661 Likes on 3,484 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
You'll feel the reduction in weight every time you turn.
That's the kind of comment I like to hear.

For pads, I've been planning on Hawk HPS for next year. Don't see any reason yet to plan otherwise, but keeping an open mind between now and then.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:35 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 509 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That's the kind of comment I like to hear.

For pads, I've been planning on Hawk HPS for next year. Don't see any reason yet to plan otherwise, but keeping an open mind between now and then.
I saved 4 pounds on wheels, and at first didn't notice a difference. But after driving roads I was familiar with and that I drove everyday, the weight savings was readily apparent on initial turn in. You'll notice it.

I ran HPS like 15 year ago. I just think there are better, albeit more expensive, pad options
Old 07-31-2019, 11:36 AM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I've heard great things about Specialty Z and Seb but I feel as though if you can dyno tune then that's the way to go. They can dial you in right then and there. Just wondering why you'd go with a remote tune when you probably have a good amount of tuners in your back yard.
I've reached out to local shops in my area and the prices were high or they never returned my calls. They seem busy with GTR work so a G37 tune isn't high on their list I guess. I decided to go with an EcuTek tune and a specific shop/tuner for my car and the closest places use other tuning software. So I went with a remote tune to learn about the process and understand what he is seeing in the data by working with the tuner over the phone/email. I'm so busy with work It seemed easier to me to just gather the data to/from work. I've already learned some things about the G37s I didn't know about so that's a bonus I guess. I'm enjoying it a lot. I'll never be a tuner/mechanic, but it's fun to learn about the process/data. I guess the only negative is I won't see what the HP/Torque is before/after. I'm not sure it matters to me that much as I just want the car running well and tuned up. I was pretty sure it was running rich before and turned out I was right when the data was reviewed.

Last edited by Atowsley; 07-31-2019 at 11:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RMB5190 (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 11:49 AM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
No test pipes... resonated high flow cats (RHFC) from Fast Intentions.

I'm at 43k miles on my original brakes (Akebono BBK), and I'm starting to feel it, so the brake upgrade is happening first. And since I'm planning on the 2-piece rotors from Z1, that isn't going to be cheap and gets in front of the tune on the annual budget.
The Z1 2-piece rotors are also on my mod list as well.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 AM
OldG2NewG
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Finally settled on a color I like for the coupe wheels and ironically it's the stock color lol. Well close enough. The last pic pretty much sealed the deal for me.

The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 09:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by OldG2NewG
Finally settled on a color I like for the coupe wheels and ironically it's the stock color lol. Well close enough. The last pic pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Your car and your photo? That looks exactly right, particularly with the gold Akebono calipers. Stock, not-stock. Love it.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:29 AM
OldG2NewG
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
No that's a photo I found browsing the web, I do have the same color sedan and akebonos so I'm hoping to mimic the look.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:32 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by OldG2NewG
No that's a photo I found browsing the web, I do have the same color sedan and akebonos so I'm hoping to mimic the look.
Oh. Well, never mind.

That's a good look to emulate. Have at it.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:31 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

You guys are starting to sway me towards gold calipers vs red for my black sedan with black coupe wheels.

I've talked to the G2 tech support folks, you can mix colors but they of course don't guarantee results. You just have to mix two complete cans of the stuff and the reducer to make sure it catalyzes properly. IIRC, you need two cans of the stuff to do our large calipers anyway.

So... red-gold? red-black?
Old 08-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
You guys are starting to sway me towards gold calipers vs red for my black sedan with black coupe wheels.

I've talked to the G2 tech support folks, you can mix colors but they of course don't guarantee results. You just have to mix two complete cans of the stuff and the reducer to make sure it catalyzes properly. IIRC, you need two cans of the stuff to do our large calipers anyway.

So... red-gold? red-black?
Yellow-Black?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...ml#post3924998
Old 08-01-2019, 01:31 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Yeah, yellow isn't really my thing.

I wonder if I mixed the gold with the black if I'd get speckles, or a darker gold color.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:07 PM
steveng37
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Technically last night, but I couldn't get pictures till today. Attempted the window trim DIY. It came out ok, it was my first time using vinyl. Some flaws but I dont think the average person would notice in my opinion
Old 08-04-2019, 02:18 AM
Atowsley
Premier Member

I put in the dual catch can g37 kit from ADD-W1 on. It seems solidly built and already has a 1/2 ounce of gunk in them after a couple hundred miles.

I know we don’t “need” catch cans on our NA engines due to the port injection. I just don’t like the idea of sucking the crankcase gases back into the engine to be burned off.

I also took the car to the Infiniti dealership and they fixed my leaking transfer case rear seal as a good will gesture. The car has low mileage but, technically is out of the 6 year power train warranty. Saved me a lot of hassle and sweat to do it myself so thank you Infiniti!

Last edited by Atowsley; 08-05-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:10 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Finally fixed my fuel level issue. New sensor for the sending unit.

The following 3 users liked this post by hexotic:
Baadnewsburr (08-12-2019), OldG2NewG (08-14-2019), slartibartfast (08-10-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?