G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:35 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
Well, I drove mine for the first time in 2 weeks lol. Just had Z1 intake after-maf silicone and a gloss black grill show up while I was gone. Also got a tentative date of early June for the FI RHFC and CBE to ship.

This car is turning into area projects.
Nose - black grill, paint chrome fog surrounds, projector fogs with 70W yellow H11s, look at maybe fabbing up ducts to halfass a long-tube intake. Paint inside headlights, install STI-R lenses and LEDs where applicable.
Engine - have VQ35 intake manifold and fuel rail, still need VQ35 lower manifold. Silicone after-maf hoses. Some replacement belts on the engine.
Under - FI RHFCs, FI CBE, redline fluid for diff, whiteline diff mounts, build tow hitch receiver.
Outside - skyline and 370gt badges
Inside - bedliner the non-coated metal flooring, put it all back in so it doesn't look as much like a race car. Vinyl wrap the washi accents.
Wheels - finish the coupe 19s and mount the tires. Get new TMPS sensors and lug nuts. Sell the duckfeet and the heavy 20s.

edited to add: forgot entirely about the HD clutch pedal and short shifter. Darn!

I think all I'm missing, and if I can ebay some more rotary stuff I might come up with the scratch sooner than later, is the hotchkiss sways and vinyl wrap the chrome on the outside.

This was supposed to be my good-as-I-bought-it daily driver...
Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 PM
Atl3128
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorg37xs
In what way did cleaning the throttle bodies and changing the tranny fluid make a huge difference?
The car idles smoother no more stumbles or erratic idle seems a bit more responsive too..the trans shifts much smoother and quicker than before as well. Overall the car runs noticably better.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:34 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Wheels and tires on lol. Wish I could drive it but have to cut those fenders first lol.

Do you have any pics with the rear taillights in the off position?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
So much activity here from a bunch of people. Springtime mods are fun. Happens every year.

"ebay some more rotary stuff" LOL
Old 05-06-2019, 02:08 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
more like tax refund spending lol, i sold a bunch of stuff i was trying to sell for a long time once the tax season began
Old 05-06-2019, 03:19 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I sold my old turbo convertible RX7 and a lot of spares - buyer paid with his tax refund I'm pretty sure. The rest of my mods have been accumulating since I bought the car last May.

As I doubt I'll ever own a 2nd gen rx7 again, I need to sell off all the spare parts I still have - every time I turn around there's more. Like tribbles.
Some of it, like convertible top motors, targa top, top boot, convertible specific glass etc should bring some decent $. I hope. Everything for this darn car comes in $500 increments lol.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
I remember when people were calling the 2nd gen the poor man's Porsche (944).

Then again, I remember when the 944 was considered the poor man's Porsche by 911 purists, so take that for what it's worth.

A 2nd Gen Turbo Vert, huh? That's pretty cool, Mike.

Here's a memory trip head-2-head. Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi vs Porsche

Last edited by Rochester; 05-06-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Installed invidia catback exhaust, replaced driver side wheel hub, still need to do passenger side, noisy as hell.
Got rear and front bumpers repainted.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:53 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by Rochester
Heh. The Starion / Conquest intercooler was the one to have when you upgraded the turbo in the FC3S.

EDITED: I think I still have one, modded to have 2.25" inlet/exit tubing.

89 Turbo motor in 91 convertible chassis. Super lightweight flywheel, upgraded CHRA turbo, mild tune via boost controller. Made the convertible feel like the very early (and super lightweight) cars. It was fun, and nicely quiet/dry with the top up. Very much a GT car. Much more plush than the Miata, at least the miatae of the time period.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:06 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Atowsley
Thanks man

Well, looking back probably didn't need the impact driver, but being 45 and Dad body....I need all the easy I can get. lol
Haha. I know what you mean. I'm pushing 50 and have the middle age Dad bod myself even though I don't actually have any kids. LOL

Originally Posted by llebcire
I need to replace my passenger transverse link this summer and need to get an impact.

-Eric
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Yeah I had a tech do those on my X, said there was no way I would have got it off at home without an impact.
I've had my front lower control arms off multiple times and there shouldn't be any need for an impact wrench on those. But you will probably need a spreader to pop the lower ball joint free... a pickle fork may work, but you will most likely damage the lower ball joint boot if you use one of those.

I've been working on cars for 35+ years and can count the number of times I've needed an impact wrench on both hands. I do own 4 different impact wrenches (2 pneumatic and 2 electric), because when you need one you need one, but I VERY seldom use them. I do have 12", 18", 30" and 40" breaker bars, though, and couldn't live without those.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:11 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I remember when people were calling the 2nd gen the poor man's Porsche (944).

Then again, I remember when the 944 was considered the poor man's Porsche by 911 purists, so take that for what it's worth.

A 2nd Gen Turbo Vert, huh? That's pretty cool, Mike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1BEBKkul1g
Nice! I remember that one. Brings back lots of memories from when I was in high school and car crazy! I've actually owned two of those cars... 2 different 2nd Gen RX7's and the Porsche.I even still have my Porsche too!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:18 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by staskz
more like tax refund spending lol, i sold a bunch of stuff i was trying to sell for a long time once the tax season began
I wish I actually got money back. But with what I owed this year I could have bought a pretty nice car! The new tax laws really killed us this year, especially the SALT deduction cap
The following users liked this post:
ninja_please80 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 01:04 PM
sidestepca
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MNfiniti
Installed the STI lip today. After cutting the wheel well overhang off, I trimmed off the end caps from the cutoff pieces and plastic epoxied them back to the wing then painted everything with truck bed liner. Can't tell unless you really look for it! Super happy with how it turned out.

Also took a play from the Rochester playbook and paint matched the chrome that was around the grill to the body color. LOVE it!

closer pics?

Last edited by Rochester; 05-07-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: merged
Old 05-07-2019, 05:31 PM
deepblue3
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Got my sedan back from the shop and here is what they did:
galley gasket
allen head gasket cover bolts
water pump
thermostat
front engine seals
silicone radiator hoses
fumoto oil drain valve
radiator cap
new aem dry flow filters for the stillen gen 2 cai

I think that's it for a very reasonable price while I brought the oil, filters, hoses and bolts only.

I don't know what it is, but the car sounds a LOT quieter now.
It could be the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 or the new dryflow filters but the car sounds a lot smoother and noticeably lower on intake and exhaust noise volume. I might be able to rock the Stillen intake and exhaust now with the new mysterious noise reduction.

Last edited by deepblue3; 05-08-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by deepblue3
Got my sedan back from the shop and here is what they did:
galley gasket
allen head gasket cover bolts
water pump
thermostat
front engine seals
silicone radiator hoses
fumoto oil drain valve
radiator cap
new aem dry flow filters for the stillen gen 2 cai

I think that's it. Very reasonably priced ********* while I brought the oil, filters, hoses and bolts only.

I don't know what it is, but the car sounds a LOT quieter now.
It could be the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 or the new dryflow filters but the car sounds a lot smoother and noticeably lower on intake and exhaust noise volume. I might be able to rock the Stillen intake and exhaust now with the new mysterious noise reduction.
wow thats a really good deal for that work!

Last edited by Baadnewsburr; 05-09-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: OP requested removal of price in quote

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?