G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:24 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyG37
Guys, I had a quick question. Does Tein still make the street basis Z for the G37 Sedan? And if so, are they still around the price point of 450-550$? Everytime I google for it, I see a bunch companies selling them for $650+. Also, they don't seem to be listed on the Tein Website anymore when you search for coilovers for a G37 Sedan . Weird.

Thanks guys.
I got my Street Basis Zs from Race Consulting Agency. They have nice parts, prices and service. Mine were $444.00 shipped
Old 06-25-2018, 06:10 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Guys, I have a few questions following my posts regarding the Tein Street Basis Z coilovers.
(1) The first question regards the phone call I had with Tein today. Pretty much, I wanted to confirm that the Tein Street Basis Z coilovers which are listed for the coupe (https://thmotorsports.com/10455475-t...4aAt5oEALw_wcB) can fit the G37 Sedan as many of you have said. He put me on hold and then follows up stating that they do not make any coilover that they can CONFIRM fits for the US SPEC G37, meaning they cannot confirm if the tein street basis Z fits my G37S RWD Sedan. They can only confirm coilovers for the British Spec models. I'm assuming it does since most of you run it though. So pretty much, will these coilovers fit my 2011 G37S RWD Sedan without any modification required, correct?

I thought I saw in the past that Tein listed their coilovers fitting the sedan, but they do not remember they stated.

(2) This leads into my second question is that I called a shop to install (if they are able to fit) the coilovers along with the rear camber arms and they stated around $350. They also stated to install the rear SPC arms, they would have to shave something on my car? I couldn't fully understand what he meant as he seemed very busy rushing the conversation (but they have 5 stars on yelp). Does anyone know what he is talking about? He states that he has done plenty of G's.

Thank you guys
Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Sounds like a fair price^^^And yes the Teins listed for the coupe are the same model for the sedans. I'm not sure why but there are several brands that don't list coilovers for the sedan although the will almost always work on both. The only model that really slams on a sedan but doesn't on a coupe is the KW coiilover line and that has to do with their adjustment range, that isn't a problem on the Tein lineup.

As far as something being shaved during the rear camber install, that's a toe bolt slot that needs to be elongated, this allows the new toe bolt (which has a larger offset mount on the washer) to span it's full range, giving you much more adjustment there.

The fact that your shop knew that this is req'd is a good thing, there's been quite a few cases where the shop had no experience w/ this setup, and some mounted the new bolt without any slot work, rendering the bolt no better than stock
The following users liked this post:
SkyG37 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 07:22 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Sounds like a fair price^^^And yes the Teins listed for the coupe are the same model for the sedans. I'm not sure why but there are several brands that don't list coilovers for the sedan although the will almost always work on both. The only model that really slams on a sedan but doesn't on a coupe is the KW coiilover line and that has to do with their adjustment range, that isn't a problem on the Tein lineup.

As far as something being shaved during the rear camber install, that's a toe bolt slot that needs to be elongated, this allows the new toe bolt (which has a larger offset mount on the washer) to span it's full range, giving you much more adjustment there.

The fact that your shop knew that this is req'd is a good thing, there's been quite a few cases where the shop had no experience w/ this setup, and some mounted the new bolt without any slot work, rendering the bolt no better than stock
Alright thank you very much for the information. I'll likely be purchasing the coilovers by the end of the month from TH and then the SPC arms you linked. I remember you linked me to the SPC arms which I think are these (https://www.z1motorsports.com/suspen...37-p-3980.html). I need to purchase 2 of these and that's it correct? Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase them besides Z1, or should I just go with these.

Also, what size spacer would I need for the front / rear if I am going to be running the stock wheels (18" sport duckfeet) rims. My goal with purchasing the Street Basis Z coilovers was just to eliminate the wheel gap to make my car overall flow better with my exhaust (since MD is the loudest). I do NOT want to slam it as I don't want to bottom out as well as scrap my exhaust over every speedbump. I am planning on installing the OEM front lip as well so I wish not to be so low that my lip will rip off going over a speedbump / steep driveway.

If I remember correctly, I would need 15-20mm spacers to avoid the wheels looking caved in? Also, how low should I drop the car or will the shop do that for me? I remember seeing pictures of cars being dropped on stock duckfeet, but I can't get them right now.

Sorry and thank you. I never really worked on suspension or wheels so I am mainly new to this and reading as much as possible.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Yes you'll need to get two of those camber arms sets for the rear, you can contact TH motorsports, give them that part # and see if they stock them (they should, I got mine there).

As far as height, I was at 25.75" from ground to fender arch and it was a chore as a daily driver, I went up to 26.25" and that 1/2" higher made a huge difference in getting around daily obstacles, so much easier and almost without worry.

Spacers and duckfeet, shoot a PM to Rochester or thumb through his epic build thread and see what spacers he runs on his duckfeet winter set.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,712 Likes on 3,520 Posts
Spacers and duckfeet, shoot a PM to Rochester or thumb through his epic build thread and see what spacers he runs on his duckfeet winter set.
15mm wheel spacer adapters from B2AutoDesigns.com.

It's genuinely a good look, mild drop on 18" duckfeet, with 15mm spacers. If I hadn't bought my Vossens so many years ago now, I probably would have been content with the OEM wheels dropped and spaced.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 11:59 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Planned to finally put on the diffuser that's been in my living room for 2 months, but then it rained
Old 06-26-2018, 10:32 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
What diffuser? I want one after I get exhaust
Old 06-26-2018, 12:51 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Yes you'll need to get two of those camber arms sets for the rear, you can contact TH motorsports, give them that part # and see if they stock them (they should, I got mine there).

As far as height, I was at 25.75" from ground to fender arch and it was a chore as a daily driver, I went up to 26.25" and that 1/2" higher made a huge difference in getting around daily obstacles, so much easier and almost without worry.

Ok thank you very much. Very helpful and I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Rochester
15mm wheel spacer adapters from B2AutoDesigns.com.

It's genuinely a good look, mild drop on 18" duckfeet, with 15mm spacers. If I hadn't bought my Vossens so many years ago now, I probably would have been content with the OEM wheels dropped and spaced.
Well that's good to hear you like the duckfeet with spacers look, cause well, that's what I'm going to be running . Now, do I want spacers for all 4 (front and rear)? Or only fronts, etc. And you mentioned you purchased from b2, but I'm assuming all spacers are around the same quality (hopefully). Therefore I can purchase the spacers from anywhere ?
Old 06-26-2018, 01:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,712 Likes on 3,520 Posts
Well that's good to hear you like the duckfeet with spacers look, cause well, that's what I'm going to be running . Now, do I want spacers for all 4 (front and rear)? Or only fronts, etc.
All four.

And you mentioned you purchased from b2, but I'm assuming all spacers are around the same quality (hopefully). Therefore I can purchase the spacers from anywhere ?
I have no idea. They were $200 back in 2014 from B2, and I had the impression at the time that B2AutoDesigns had a good rep on the forum.

After you buy them, immediately take your brand new bag of half-height lug nuts and throw them in the trash. They're garbage. Go purchase some spline-drive lugnuts that cover more threads and won't strip the heads.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:45 PM
Stiglitz41

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wrapped the door trim

Wrapped the door trim to cover existing peeling and scratches. Wanted to stay close to the original which is hard to do but I'm pleased. Debating if I should wrap It all or just the doors. Poor pics but it's all I took for now.
Before
I think it's a decent color for the stone interior.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:49 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
That looks really good IMO. Provides a very subtle blend. I'd actually argue it's an improvement over the stock silver.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Stiglitz41

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
That looks really good IMO. Provides a very subtle blend. I'd actually argue it's an improvement over the stock silver.
Thanks! I am happy with it and I would agree that it is an improvement over stock on the doors. Not sure how I would like it on the center console. I like the lighter contrast there. Might give it a shot though since I can always take it off. Unless of course I scratch the oem finish in the process, which is likely. Ha
Old 06-26-2018, 04:31 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Had my Z1 HFC's installed and stillen rear sway bar. The rear bar makes a really big difference.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:14 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by r2dmax
What diffuser? I want one after I get exhaust
Autokits-x

Had it painted matte black, guy plastidipped it

Think it'll work on a black car though...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?