G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 11:41 AM
SurreyG

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Pablo Diaz
A mostly custom catback I had done a couple months back on my sedan, megan y pipe to magnaflow resonated x pipe and 2.5" piping all the way back. I will hopefully be picking up some ART pipes in the next month or two.

If I remember correctly this pull was in 3rd gear to around 7000rpm
Sounds nice. So no mufflers though correct?
Old 07-31-2016, 01:25 PM
Pablo Diaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurreyG
Sounds nice. So no mufflers though correct?
none at all, just a resonated x pipe to get rid of any rasp and straight pipe all the way back from there
Old 07-31-2016, 02:24 PM
jtn
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Pablo Diaz
A mostly custom catback I had done a couple months back on my sedan, megan y pipe to magnaflow resonated x pipe and 2.5" piping all the way back. I will hopefully be picking up some ART pipes in the next month or two.

G37 sedan catback - YouTube

If I remember correctly this pull was in 3rd gear to around 7000rpm
How much did it cost in total? I called around my area and they all wanted around $250 - $350 just for a muffler delete.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:08 PM
Pablo Diaz

For all the materials it was a little under $500, for labor i had some good friends help me get everything done, so some beers&pizza was about it
Old 08-03-2016, 11:47 AM
Mattyem
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Would this increase the sound of my 10' AWD sport sedan by much? Will it make it raspy??
https://www.z1motorsports.com/exhaus...rs-p-5405.html
Old 08-03-2016, 06:04 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Have a question for you guys. I am a noob when it comes to exhausts so bare with me. I am looking to just slightly upgrade the exhaust note but nothing too extreme (wife, small kids) and also nothing too pricey. I am leaning towards the Tanabe Medallion.

Would the addition of just this axleback produce any type of better sound upgrade?

Also, what would be another good option to pair with this to have a good sounding tone, but once again, nothing too crazy?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by James Harden
Have a question for you guys. I am a noob when it comes to exhausts so bare with me. I am looking to just slightly upgrade the exhaust note but nothing too extreme (wife, small kids) and also nothing too pricey. I am leaning towards the Tanabe Medallion.

Would the addition of just this axleback produce any type of better sound upgrade?

Also, what would be another good option to pair with this to have a good sounding tone, but once again, nothing too crazy?
The Tanabe Medallion is an axle-back only. As such, it's also a pretty easy DIY. Just run the back end up on some ramps and have at it.

It is unarguably more attractive than the OEM components. Some people claim the exhaust note is bumped a little bit, however, many people also claim the exhaust note is unchanged. One of the more interesting mods I've recently become aware of is the Tabebe Medallion and a resonator delete. Of course, to remove the OEM resonators you'll have to find a shop with welding skills, but it's still a relatively inexpensive option.

If you go this route (axle-back and resonators), understand it's all about looks and sound. You won't experience any performance gains... except for the butt-dyno perception that comes with high expectations.

My advice is to get the Tanabe and see what you think. If you want more racecar out of that family sedan, consider a resonator delete, or swap out the OEM resonators for something smaller. Because full, high-quality, aftermarket exhausts can be a significant expense. You're not wrong about that, James.

Is it worth it, spending two to three grand on parts and installation for a full exhaust, with high-flow cats and a full, custom catback? I think so, but only because I'm on the other end of that decision.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-04-2016 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
James Harden (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
This is why I bought the J2. Full cat back mandrel bent stainless steel for $490 shipped.

Sounds pretty good too.

Do the $1000-$1500 systems sound better? That's subjective.

I'll see if this one has the durability. So far when I crawl under it looks just like other stainless steel exhaust systems I've had in the past.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by James Harden

I have the Tanabe, and started with just that. It is 90% "show." If you only care about sounds, have a muffler shop weld in a set of custom mufflers and/or delete the resonators. You can also get 12" Vibrant resonators which are louder than stock.

You should also consider a wider diameter from the cats all the way back. The factory 2" is very quiet, so anything you do in back will be muffled by that.

My advice is to listen to EVERY setup in this forum and decide what you want first. Then find a good shop that listens that can get what you want. Or just order one of the full custom catback systems, but those are usually more expensive.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:02 PM
gavingw

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Another 2-3 week delay on my exhaust getting to Winnipeg from Korea...
Old 08-07-2016, 01:39 AM
SrtUltr
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1K2go
Had fun installing my Stillen Cat-back exhaust today. Very easy and straight forward. Fit and finish are as good as you could ever ask for in an aftermarket exhaust. I was a little concerned when I chose Stillen over the ARK and other options as I had heard it has a rather conservative exhaust tone. Well, I am pleasantly surprised with how nice it sounds, even without an intake upgrade. It's got a nice burble at idle and really sweet growl when you get on it. Looking forward to installing my R2C intake whenever it decides to show up on my doorstep.
Any rasp? Does it get rid of oem rasp/tinny noise under wot gear changes?
Old 08-07-2016, 02:12 AM
1K2go
Premier Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SrtUltr
Any rasp? Does it get rid of oem rasp/tinny noise under wot gear changes?
No rasp that I can detect, even with R2C CAI installed. If you're looking for a nice quality setup that won't **** off your next door neighbors but will still give you a nice aggressive growl, the Stillen fits the bill.
SrtUltr (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 12:16 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
This isn't my car. Exhaust consists of 1320 test pipes, no name X pipe ($30) , no name 14" resonators, and no name mufflers. Custom 2.5'' piping throughout.

PNW_IPL (02-17-2020)
Old 08-07-2016, 04:27 PM
VQCrew
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
⬆️He's even got 2 step on that thing. Sounds great imo!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:59 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
When I had just an Ark Exhaust

My custom 3" MagnaFlow X pipe muffler Exhaust

Last edited by ttv36; 08-08-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread