G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 02:30 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
For those interested...I finally got my mufflers installed on thursday. I'm running 2.5" piping from the resonators back to magnaflow xl 3 chamber mufflers (13216) on my g37x sedan. This helped a lot with the drone in certain gears. For the most part, the mufflers completely eliminated the drone when gradually accelerating out of a stationary position. However, I still hear it at cruising speeds, albeit not intolerable for me, so that is fine.

In terms of the tone/sound, it does not sound that much louder than factory, but to be fair I have not actually heard it from the exterior. I can only comment on from the inside of the car with windows up/down. It has the faintest aggressive growl when accelerating from a stop, but I wouldn't exactly classify the tone as deep. Sadly, that is the best I have heard so far, from sitting inside the car. Not to mention it only sounds good until about 4k, then it just kind of sounds like a blender. When I just had the muffler delete with stock piping, the exhaust sounded much more aggressive at 4-5k. Now, it just sounds loud and strained.. no more growl.There's no exotic undertones whatsoever. Maybe it sounds better from the exterior?

For now, I am going to drive it as is. The unbearable drone is gone and it doesn't sound like a tractor upon cold start anymore. Hopefully the tone will mature? into something more pleasant, but that's probably just wishful thinking. Anyhow, somewhere down the line I plan to swap the resonators out for something shorter, which should give that deeper tone I am looking for. Maybe Vibrant's bottle style or the ultraquiet. As for anyone that's interested in a muffler delete, don't mess with the pipe diameter unless you know what you're doing and plan to swap out the factory resonators. I personally would never recommend anyone to go the route I did. Live and learn.

*EDIT here is a peak of the undercarriage- https://imgur.com/a/SKty6

Last edited by afrayedknot; 03-17-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:19 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
It will take about 200 miles or so before the exhaust breaks in.Tone will change a bit. Mine deepened noticeably after about a week.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:56 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
It will take about 200 miles or so before the exhaust breaks in.Tone will change a bit. Mine deepened noticeably after about a week.
What is your current setup?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:56 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I got a Top Speed Y-back system. It's actually gotten louder the more I drive it but the tone got a bit throat-ier with the increased noise. Went from second guessing my choice (too quiet) to being quite pleased with it. It's a tad louder than OEM when cruising but will let everyone know you're there if you stomp on it.

You'll even notice with your set-up that the tone will deepen after it builds up exhaust deposits on the walls. This is the case with each system I've put on my cars.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:46 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
I got a Top Speed Y-back system. It's actually gotten louder the more I drive it but the tone got a bit throat-ier with the increased noise. Went from second guessing my choice (too quiet) to being quite pleased with it. It's a tad louder than OEM when cruising but will let everyone know you're there if you stomp on it.

You'll even notice with your set-up that the tone will deepen after it builds up exhaust deposits on the walls. This is the case with each system I've put on my cars.
So Im not imagining things? It definitely did get deeper and louder? I thought I was hearing things, and one of my friends who hasn't seen my car for 6 months asked if I did more exhaust work because the car was louder.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:39 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Nope! Tone deepens once that layer of exhaust residue builds up (carbon?) Causes the tone to mellow out and deepen. It was noticeable after about a week for me. Took the wife for a drive after install. Her second ride was that weekend; the first time she had been in it since Monday. I was able to put about 300-325 miles on it during the work week and she had asked if I changed something that Saturday.

Hard to judge exhausts by videos. Some are fresh installs - some aren't. Totally changes the sound sometimes. First video I saw of the TS system left me thinking it was a little too raspy for me but that video also included a aftermarket Y. Subsequent videos had the stock Y pipe and were broken in and it sounded pretty close to what I was looking for so I took a chance on it.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:41 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Nope! Tone deepens once that layer of exhaust residue builds up (carbon?) Causes the tone to mellow out and deepen. It was noticeable after about a week for me. Took the wife for a drive after install. Her second ride was that weekend; the first time she had been in it since Monday. I was able to put about 300-325 miles on it during the work week and she had asked if I changed something that Saturday.

Hard to judge exhausts by videos. Some are fresh installs - some aren't. Totally changes the sound sometimes. First video I saw of the TS system left me thinking it was a little too raspy for me but that video also included a aftermarket Y. Subsequent videos had the stock Y pipe and were broken in and it sounded pretty close to what I was looking for so I took a chance on it.
Yeah, the video on youtube with my car was a week after install. Its so much deeper now. Rasp is all but gone. (dont judge lol, car is completely different now. I had no idea what I was doing with wheel fitment back then)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:11 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

For the money, this is a great system IMO. Uses the OEM y pipe but replaces all the restrictive parts of the exhaust. Would I have liked a Motordyne or FI cat-back? Sure. But the TS is a nice set-up for the $ without taking the risk that comes with a custom set-up. When done right, the custom set-ups sound unique and great at a superb price.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:05 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I feel your pain with going the custom route, but I think you're on the right track now. I would not recommend the Vibrant ultra-quiet resonators if you're already concerned with it being too quiet. The bottle style resonators will only remove rasp and clean the tone up a bit - won't affect volume much at all.

I think if you really want that exotic undertone, 2.5" piping from cats on back, an x pipe, Vibrant bottle style resonators, and the Magnaflow xl 3 chamber mufflers will achieve this.

I've had that setup with 2.25" piping for around 1,500 miles now and it sounds orgasmic. It seems like the more I drive it the deeper and more exotic sounding it becomes (I never listen to music anymore). The drone has also reduced greatly but the exhaust actually seems louder. Point is, give it some time before making any changes, and if you're not satisfied then, I recommend the setup mentioned above.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:54 AM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Thanks for the recommendations obsidian. I've driven about 350 miles in the week I've had the new setup and the tone has gradually become deeper. They are mostly highway miles so hopefully the sound will continue to improve. Right now, it sounds great with a deep purr, but just in the lower RPMs. I will most likely keep this setup for the time being. It's not quite loud enough, but at least it's not obnoxious.

I've spent about $570 so far and If I decide to install x-pipe and resonators, I would expect an additional $5-600, which would put me over 1k. It's hard for me to justify that price tag, when I had no intentions of even spending $500. I would have preferred a set of wheels than an exhaust if I knew I would end up spending a grand. Nonetheless, it has been a useful learning experience.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:23 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

You could be an absolute psycho and get a 3in/out muffler like this:
https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=14298

where the Y-pipe joins the mid pipes.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:40 PM
markyo0o

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this the Y-back system you have? Infiniti G35 G37 Sedan 07-14 Top Speed Pro-1 Y-pipe Back Exhaust System Bevel Edge Tips
Old 03-23-2018, 04:41 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by markyo0o
Thats the one ... Went up in price so much... Just like everything else. Bought it for $540...

I love it because it's. Quiet enough that the cops don't bother you, but still louder than stock. And when you step on it, it screams gloriously. For a daily driver this is a fantastic option.

Last edited by hexotic; 03-23-2018 at 04:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
markyo0o (03-27-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 08:15 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hexotic
Thats the one ... Went up in price so much... Just like everything else. Bought it for $540...

I love it because it's. Quiet enough that the cops don't bother you, but still louder than stock. And when you step on it, it screams gloriously. For a daily driver this is a fantastic option.
I managed to grab mine for $500 somehow. Couldn't agree more though with your assessment. Really comes to life above 3k RPMS but you can go completely stealth if you're driving normally.
The following users liked this post:
markyo0o (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 01:26 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
I managed to grab mine for $500 somehow. Couldn't agree more though with your assessment. Really comes to life above 3k RPMS but you can go completely stealth if you're driving normally.
Agreed. I'm running it with ART Pipes and XYZ Pipe with resonator and it quieted down even more after I added the XYZ with resonator. When I had it paired to my oem y pipe it was a bit louder miss it sometimes might change out the resonator on my MD pipe to straight but for now like that mine is not raspy at all

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread