G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by buttersG37
thanks for the info. appreciated!
To sum it up, our choices as AWD owners are slim.
If you want a catback you can buy:
1. Ark Grip (6/10 in terms of loudness)
2. Fast Intentions (6.5-7/10 in terms of loudness)
3. Motordyne E370 (8-8.5/10 in terms of loudness)
4. GT Haus - (9-9.5/10 in terms of loudness)
5. Top Speed (technically a y-pipe back) (5-6/10 in terms of loudness)
6. Stillen (reports vary but usually a 6-6.5/10 in terms of loudness)

Other than that, you’re left to creating your own system if you want to mix+match axlebacks, y-pipes, and mid pipes from different brands. Also note that adding HFC or TPs will alter the sound of any exhaust and usually adds a +1 or +2 to the numbers above. For example, if you added test pipes to the GT HAUS exhaust you would basically be deaf solely from starting your car.
The following users liked this post:
mdigiorgio35 (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Motordyne e370 for G37x sedan (that means its all wheel drive ********)

Originally Posted by SkyG37
We need your opinion on it too ! What do you think of the exhaust sir Jake? Especially after all the wait time, was it worth it...? OF COUR.. I mean, that's for you to answer.
Ok you got it. So the sound of the exhaust initially blew me away. Watching any video doesn't at all prepare you for the experience of actually being behind the wheel. The depth of the sound with its guttural, throaty, burps and snarling nature it quickly snaps into when provoked is very exciting from the drivers seat. I like that everyone on the street knows something special is in the vicinity as well. Its raucous and beautiful. The amount of added power I feel is also surprising. I knew what adding a catback does to free things up and it has been noticeable and significant in the past with my last vehicle adding a Magnaflow, (05' Legacy GT Wagon). In my g37 its kind of like holy ****. More power everywhere and just pulls harder all the way through redline. Throttle response is quicker/sharper as well. Now that ive driven it a few days, I am looking forward to adding my Berk HFCs as I think it could sound even better, less muffled, more free flowing, more insane at WOT. I am looking forward to Monday for the install. I should note there is a boomy drone I noticed while cruising at low speed between about 1500-2000 rpm. Its whatever. I really have nothing negative to say about this exhaust. In love.

Last edited by Jake85; 11-08-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
This is probably exactly how he feels. ahaahhahaha
LOL pretty close. Well done Rochester.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:29 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Now I know you guys are enjoying discussion of your Motordyne exhaust, but I thought I'd throw in some clips of my exhaust. It's just a Tanabe axleback with Vibrant resonators. Great setup for a daily driver, not too loud but noticeable enough to know it's there.

Cold start: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ywhUhcvh87Bo8g652

Warm start + revs: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nZ7EIKw5I1NQxxI72
Old 11-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by the93owner
Now I know you guys are enjoying discussion of your Motordyne exhaust, but I thought I'd throw in some clips of my exhaust. It's just a Tanabe axleback with Vibrant resonators. Great setup for a daily driver, not too loud but noticeable enough to know it's there.

Cold start: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ywhUhcvh87Bo8g652

Warm start + revs: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nZ7EIKw5I1NQxxI72
Absolutely love it. If I were to keep my Tanabes I would have done this exact setup. I was torn because Tanabe with either a different resonator or HFC/TP is literally a completely different animal.
the93owner (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:47 PM
Wellnotexactly

Jake and Sky. I did it. I finally caved in and ordered Berk HFC. Getting everything installed this coming Monday. Still kind of worried by how loud it’s going to be but after hearing the exhaust both with and without stock cats it’s honestly a huge difference. In fact, looking back almost every YouTube video that I saw that swayed me to buy MD in the first place had art pipes, HFC, or TP.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wellnotexactly:
Jake85 (11-09-2017), SkyG37 (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:59 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
You guys aren't fans of RHFC?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:16 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
Jake and Sky. I did it. I finally caved in and ordered Berk HFC. Getting everything installed this coming Monday. Still kind of worried by how loud it’s going to be but after hearing the exhaust both with and without stock cats it’s honestly a huge difference. In fact, looking back almost every YouTube video that I saw that swayed me to buy MD in the first place had art pipes, HFC, or TP.
Ayee congradulations !! I don't doubt any bit that you will regret the purchase. It will for sure be a mind **** when you leave the OEM exhaust for MD + Berk.. You might cry in happiness. I can't seem to get a fly-by done but once I do, i'll for sure post it. But like I said, congradulations.

Originally Posted by kroy
You guys aren't fans of RHFC?
I think the only reputable RHFC is FI, and at the time, I didn't have the extra $200 + wait time for the RHFC>
Old 11-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
I think the only reputable RHFC is FI, and at the time, I didn't have the extra $200 + wait time for the RHFC
Why not ARK? Helmholtz resonators off the cats... pretty cool, IMO.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:53 AM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jake85
Ok you got it. So the sound of the exhaust initially blew me away. Watching any video doesn't at all prepare you for the experience of actually being behind the wheel. The depth of the sound with its guttural, throaty, burps and snarling nature it quickly snaps into when provoked is very exciting from the drivers seat. I like that everyone on the street knows something special is in the vicinity as well. Its raucous and beautiful. The amount of added power I feel is also surprising. I knew what adding a catback does to free things up and it has been noticeable and significant in the past with my last vehicle adding a Magnaflow, (05' Legacy GT Wagon). In my g37 its kind of like holy ****. More power everywhere and just pulls harder all the way through redline. Throttle response is quicker/sharper as well. Now that ive driven it a few days, I am looking forward to adding my Berk HFCs as I think it could sound even better, less muffled, more free flowing, more insane at WOT. I am looking forward to Monday for the install. I should note there is a boomy drone I noticed while cruising at low speed between about 1500-2000 rpm. Its whatever. I really have nothing negative to say about this exhaust. In love.
Glad you love it just as much as I do haha. I get that boomy drone as well but it's nothing I can't live with. It almost sounds like the 2nd gtr in the beginning as it slowly pulls away before it steps on it.

The upshifts sound much crisper. If you drive in the right way, you can def keep it on the quiet side. Just wait till you add the Berks.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jXQAA...kWH/s-l500.jpg Have to ask this and get opinions OK...So I have the HKS axle back, I really cant justify getting a full cat back at this point $$.....a true catback would be $1200 plus minimum... So if I were to grab this Top Speed Y pipe back, how difficult would it be to have the HKS tips welded on ?..Is it a waste of time ? Should I get the Top Speed install it and see if I like it first ? Should I just sell the HKS axle back ? which would help with the cost of the Top Speed Y pipe back ? The only full catback I see is the Stillen that I can get for under $1200
Old 11-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by Rich11G37xS
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jXQAA...kWH/s-l500.jpg Have to ask this and get opinions OK...So I have the HKS axle back, I really cant justify getting a full cat back at this point $$.....a true catback would be $1200 plus minimum... So if I were to grab this Top Speed Y pipe back, how difficult would it be to have the HKS tips welded on ?..Is it a waste of time ? Should I get the Top Speed install it and see if I like it first ? Should I just sell the HKS axle back ? which would help with the cost of the Top Speed Y pipe back ? The only full catback I see is the Stillen that I can get for under $1200
From what I remember the HKS tips were a much larger diameter than the Topspeed system so it might look kind of strange. As for the actual system, the Topspeed exhaust sounds pretty good and is a cost effective alternative to a true catback. Be warned though that because of the low price tag you may see quality issues.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Why not ARK? Helmholtz resonators off the cats... pretty cool, IMO.
For some reason, I guess my reply via phone didn't post Pretty much, I totally forgot about the ARK RHFC. I think it is due to not being talked about alot on the forums. You actually reminded me that they even existed when I read this post. But for 600$ + potentially no wait time, could be a good contender against FI. They do look pretty nice as well. My ARK Exhaust had A+ fitment, so I can assume these will too.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Four years ago, I got a little seat time in another 2011 6MT Sedan which had resonated ARK cats, resonated ARK catback, Stillen Gen3, and an UpRev tune.

It was damn near orgasmic.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:44 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich11G37xS
If you already have HKS axleback, just get Y pipe and call it a day. I feel like topspeed would be a downgrade.

Or sell HKS and get a full CBE. It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Invidia cost like 900ish but almost no gains and little sound. And then you have the 1200-1400 systems ranging from HKS, ARK and FI.

The least hassle route is to just get a Y pipe.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Four years ago, I got a little seat time in another 2011 6MT Sedan which had resonated ARK cats, resonated ARK catback, Stillen Gen3, and an UpRev tune.

It was damn near orgasmic.
I think ARK cats are for 6MT only.
Rich11G37xS (11-10-2017)

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread