G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:26 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Every video I've heard of it sounds really good.

If it sounded remotely bad Rochester wouldn't be running it. The amount of thought and consideration into each mod makes me take the FI exhaust into consideration if he gives it a thumbs up.

MD sounds fantastic but I've never heard a bad thing said about FI. If MD is a 9/10 in the sound dept, FI has to be a 8-8.5. I'll take that along with the gorgeous design and perfect fitment any day.
If you ask me, the MotorDyne has a much more distinct tone than FI and it's quite a bit louder. My roomate has a FI Catback with FI HFC. When he is next to me, my car completely drowns out his exhaust note. It's night and day. But, his system has had no fitment issues and has no clearance issues.

@skyg37, so long as you don't get carried away with your ride height like me, you should be fine.The MD is definitely louder then ARK at full throttle. I paid ~2,000 for the Motordyne E370 Catback, and I got the ART pipes used for $300.

My roomate and I.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:38 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Oh no doubt it's louder. I think MD and GThaus are the best sounding systems but Ark and FI are right there behind it. Louder doesn't necessarily mean better, most prefer the opposite, but I get what you're saying.

The MD system lives up to its reputation but given the price, time to actually receive the exhaust and fitment issues, I can't blame someone for going FI to have a slightly quieter, good sounding system that looks great and fits like a glove. I'm still in the decision making process but this in't the first time I've heard of issues with MD; whether it be fitment or time to receive the merchandise.

FYI, you both have excellent looking QAA Sedans BTW
Old 10-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyG37
You persuaded me to look into the MD over GTHAUS due to the 1500$ price difference. Is fitment an issue with most of the sedan exhausts ? I just talked to MD this morning. They said the next batch of exhausts should be done mid November. I'm debating if I should place an order.
Ive seen nothing but good things about FI, and from the general consensus it would appear they make a quality product tailored to your car. After hearing sound clips of the MD in action I knew I needed one. Albeit this is before I knew about the build time, quality control, and relatively high price tag. To me, I think it will all be worth it once I’ve got it bolted on and am able to enjoy the sound in person.

I will say that I think if you like the MD, you kind of have to deal with the baggage that comes with ordering one. Personally, there is no exhaust for the G sedan that checks all the boxes I had other than the MD, and being that I have an X, my already limited choices were narrowed down even further. So while it was a no-brainer, sometimes I wish there was an easy to order, off the shelf exhaust made by a reputable JDM company that sounded good and didn’t cost a fortune. Coupes have it made!

Also, I by no means aim to slander Tony and his products/company or discourage anyone from buying this system but I will just say take the “November” availability with a grain of salt.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by MaQG37
If you ask me, the MotorDyne has a much more distinct tone than FI and it's quite a bit louder. My roomate has a FI Catback with FI HFC. When he is next to me, my car completely drowns out his exhaust note. It's night and day. The MD is definitely louder then ARK at full throttle. I paid ~2,000 for the Motordyne E370 Catback, and I got the ART pipes usefor $300.
Funny story, your videos on YouTube with the ART pipes were one of the few that convinced me I eventually needed to get test pipes when I had the E370.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Damn I feel bad for you guys waiting on MD exhaust, I Literally had a two week turnaround and Tony had to modify the long tube headers to fit my sedan. Hopefully MD gets their stuff together and pushes out your guys parts soon!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by Calg37USMC
Damn I feel bad for you guys waiting on MD exhaust, I Literally had a two week turnaround and Tony had to modify the long tube headers to fit my sedan. Hopefully MD gets their stuff together and pushes out your guys parts soon!
To be honest, the wait itself wasn’t really my point of contention, as the systems for the X had only recently been designed as prototypes and were limited per batch. So where in a batch of say, 10 catbacks for coupes or sedans, 2 or 3 extra X specific systems would be included. My only gripe was the transparency regarding the production lead time. So far I’m locked in to Oct 23 as a shipping date, fingers crossed that it sticks.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:47 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
To be honest, the wait itself wasn’t really my point of contention, as the systems for the X had only recently been designed as prototypes and were limited per batch. So where in a batch of say, 10 catbacks for coupes or sedans, 2 or 3 extra X specific systems would be included. My only gripe was the transparency regarding the production lead time. So far I’m locked in to Oct 23 as a shipping date, fingers crossed that it sticks.
Are you AWD or RWD? I'm assuming AWD since you mentioned X. I was surprised about the prototype as well for being a $2,000 exhaust. Also, did you order directly from MD or through an authorized dealer.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Wellnotexactly

Are you AWD or RWD? I'm assuming AWD since you mentioned X. I was surprised about the prototype as well for being a $2,000 exhaust. Also, did you order directly from MD or through an authorized dealer.
AWD, which makes things trickier for wait times and ordering. From what I remembered when I spoke to Mariela, the standard catbacks are produced in larger quantities, so people who buy them usually don’t have long wait times due to overhead. The AWD version is relatively new, and are produced in response to demand. So along with being built to order, only a few are made per batch. The prototype thing kind of surprised me too actually, it would seem that they are inundated with orders and as a result, QC has slipped somewhat. I got mine from a vendor who worked directly with them.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
Yup, October 23rd. If I get a 4th estimated completion date I’m going to lose it. Fingers crossed buddy.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:54 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
If anyone is interested in an Ark exhaust, currently offering free shipping!!

-Josh
Old 10-14-2017, 02:26 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Do you guys think compared to the ARK Grip + Z1 HFC, will the MD + Z1 HFC be significantly louder throughout all RPMs? I know under full throttle, it will be 100% louder but how about cruising and shifting around 3-3.5k.

I can't seem to tell through youtube videos the actual loudness of the MD as well as how deep it is. I was literally driving for 1-2 hours yesterday deciding if I wanted to keep the ARK Grip sound or not and I am not sure. I do get quite a bit of tiny pops each time I let go of acceleration at around 3k rpm, but I'm sure MD will do the same. I just feel the MD is more a straight-piped muffle delete sound while the ARK is more a deep bass sound. Then again, some threads I read (from both G37 and 370z) that the MD is a little bit deeper but the ARK is alot more tamed and refined.

The decisions man.....
Old 10-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Wellnotexactly

Do you guys think compared to the ARK Grip + Z1 HFC, will the MD + Z1 HFC be significantly louder throughout all RPMs? I know under full throttle, it will be 100% louder but how about cruising and shifting around 3-3.5k.

I can't seem to tell through youtube videos the actual loudness of the MD as well as how deep it is. I was literally driving for 1-2 hours yesterday deciding if I wanted to keep the ARK Grip sound or not and I am not sure. I do get quite a bit of tiny pops each time I let go of acceleration at around 3k rpm, but I'm sure MD will do the same. I just feel the MD is more a straight-piped muffle delete sound while the ARK is more a deep bass sound. Then again, some threads I read (from both G37 and 370z) that the MD is a little bit deeper but the ARK is alot more tamed and refined.

The decisions man.....
From what I’ve seen and heard, Ark is deeper but the MD has more of an exotic growl to it. With HFC I think it’ll still be pretty in your face, which is a love it or hate it thing about this exhaust.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:52 PM
10infiniti37s
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
I know the sound of an exhaust is probably the most important thing, but what exhausts are the most rust resistant? Living in NJ with the harsh road salt it's worth asking.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:59 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Anything made from 304 SS...Which is basically all the above systems but also weighs into the price. Most exhaust shops will run 409SS which is good for about 9-10 years before rust begins doing its thing.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread