G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:40 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake85
Wow, yeah that seems outrageously irresponsible. I would be pissed. I didn't pay almost 2 grand for an effin prototype. Not exactly confidence inspiring as Motordyne has already shown to be unreliable.
Yea i know right? ,hopefully they figure it out by the time you guys get yours.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:19 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

As promised. I did take notice that the exhaust is slightly making contact my rear swaybar. 🤔
Attached Thumbnails The Sedan Exhaust Thread-20171008_113228.jpg   The Sedan Exhaust Thread-20171008_113459.jpg  
Old 10-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ37VHR13
As promised. I did take notice that the exhaust is slightly making contact my rear swaybar. 🤔
Oh boy. I remember reading horror stories about fitment with the earlier batches including a post where a guy had to make a dent in the subframe? I hope yours is resolved without having to go to drastic measures.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:32 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
Oh boy. I remember reading horror stories about fitment with the earlier batches including a post where a guy had to make a dent in the subframe? I hope yours is resolved without having to go to drastic measures.
I just went and checked, the space is there, just very minimal, there's way more space on the right side(between the exhaust and the swaybar) Thankfully i don't think i'll have to do that lol. Where did you see the horror stories?

Last edited by VQ37VHR13; 10-08-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ37VHR13
I just went and checked, the space is there, just very minimal, there's way more space on the right side(between the exhaust and the swaybar) Thankfully i don't think i'll have to do that lol. Where did you see the horror stories?
Okay phew, you had me worried for a second. There was a motordyne sedan exhaust megathread where some people reported a few of the exhaust systems they received having design flaws or components that either didn’t fit properly or required modification.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:38 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
Okay phew, you had me worried for a second. There was a motordyne sedan exhaust megathread where some people reported a few of the exhaust systems they received having design flaws or components that either didn’t fit properly or required modification.
My ART/Y-Pipe merge has fitment issues which causes me to blow gaskets within a few weeks.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:58 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
My ART/Y-Pipe merge has fitment issues which causes me to blow gaskets within a few weeks.
You persuaded me to look into the MD over GTHAUS due to the 1500$ price difference. Is fitment an issue with most of the sedan exhausts ? I just talked to MD this morning. They said the next batch of exhausts should be done mid November. I'm debating if I should place an order.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyG37
]Is fitment an issue with most of the sedan exhausts?
Not an issue for Fast Intentions, and they don't even incorporate a flex section.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:16 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
You persuaded me to look into the MD over GTHAUS due to the 1500$ price difference. Is fitment an issue with most of the sedan exhausts ? I just talked to MD this morning. They said the next batch of exhausts should be done mid November. I'm debating if I should place an order.
Most people don't have the issue. The issues you are seeing here are the few of the many exhausts he has sold. Tony from Motordyne has been great with me as far as communication goes. I just don't have the time to go through the troubleshooting steps he has suggested. The exhaust sounds great, and noone can hear the leak when you are not in the car.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that this exhaust sits low. I have no idea how your car sits but if it's low, you are going to bang that muffler up quite a bit.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:31 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Not an issue for Fast Intentions, and they don't even incorporate a flex section.
True that. I never heard of a fitment issue with FI. If I remember correctly, I've read one of your post where you mentioned you spent ~2200-2400$ on the FI + RHFC, which seems pretty reasonable to me. The FI Exhaust was the first exhaust I've ever heard and it was raspy like crazy (probably due to the fact the owner was running FI TP's). Might have to look into them again.

Originally Posted by MaQG37
Most people don't have the issue. The issues you are seeing here are the few of the many exhausts he has sold. Tony from Motordyne has been great with me as far as communication goes. I just don't have the time to go through the troubleshooting steps he has suggested. The exhaust sounds great, and noone can hear the leak when you are not in the car.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that this exhaust sits low. I have no idea how your car sits but if it's low, you are going to bang that muffler up quite a bit.
Lower than the ARK Grip? Ark grips were known to be really low. Im on stock sport suspension for my G but I do plan to buy some coilovers to lower it soon. The fitment for the ARK was good, I'm just a little concerned about the MD. I also found that super MD thread and someone was sent the wrong mid pipe.

Also, I'm not sure how much louder the MD is compared to my ARK. Did you buy directly from MD? Meaning, you paid MSRP + Tax or did you find another authorized dealer.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:42 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
My tuner says MD is inconsistent with QC.

For what it's worth, I think their exhaust sounds great.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

True that. I never heard of a fitment issue with FI. If I remember correctly, I've read one of your post where you mentioned you spent ~2200-2400$ on the FI + RHFC, which seems pretty reasonable to me. The FI Exhaust was the first exhaust I've ever heard and it was raspy like crazy (probably due to the fact the owner was running FI TP's). Might have to look into them again.
In my case, parts were bought and installed a year apart. Resonated cats were $695. Catback was $1580. Plus installation for each at a local shop on both, so easily $2500+, because installing the cats is a b1tch.

The rasp you remember hearing was very probably because of test-pipes. No rasp here, just a deep growl that I appreciate 99% of the time.... because 1% of the time, I'm a little embarrassed how loud it can be.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:48 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kroy
My tuner says MD is inconsistent with QC.

For what it's worth, I think their exhaust sounds great.
I don't doubt it. They don't make it to order like Fast Intentions. From my understanding after talking on the phone, they pretty much order a fixed number of exhausts every time they run out. For example, say that number is 20 exhausts. They place that order of the original 20 exhausts and once they run out, they order another set of 20. This process repeats it self. This can affect the consistency of QC as they are just making it as fast as they can to keep up with the demand. They also said since they are making new products for new cars (new GTR, etc), so there main focus is on innovating new parts versus focusing on older ones.

I would just get a new straight-piped X-PIPE and fit it on my ARK Grip but I'm not sure how I feel about it. But I am researching on X-Pipes and such.

Originally Posted by Rochester
In my case, parts were bought and installed a year apart. Resonated cats were $695. Catback was $1580. Plus installation for each at a local shop on both, so easily $2500+, because installing the cats is a b1tch.

The rasp you remember hearing was very probably because of test-pipes. No rasp here, just a deep growl that I appreciate 99% of the time.... because 1% of the time, I'm a little embarrassed how loud it can be.
I don't doubt it was 100% the test pipes. What size resonators are you running on the CBE? 18"? I'm assuming a straight-piped CBE with no resonator would sound essentially like it was straight-piped all the way through (essentially is?). This is because they don't run a helmholtz type of resonator versus ARK / MD?

If I did go with FI, I would 100% have to hear the exhaust again in person. The reason is, my ARK is already pretty deep and does consist of a few crackles. I just want something a little more ..... louder but not in any type of way ricey (if that makes sense). That's why I'm thinking of GTHAUS / MD as they are on the louder side of exhausts but still keeps an exotic / nice tone versus a straight-piped muffle delete.

Installing my Z1 HFC's took me 3 days .... Literally, the exhaust shop told me to come back due to not having the right tool extensions to get to the demon bolt -_-

Regardless, Fast Intentions is 100% known for their excellent quality products for our car regarding exhaust's.

Last edited by SkyG37; 10-09-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:59 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts

Every video I've heard of it sounds really good.

If it sounded remotely bad Rochester wouldn't be running it. The amount of thought and consideration into each mod makes me take the FI exhaust into consideration if he gives it a thumbs up.

MD sounds fantastic but I've never heard a bad thing said about FI. If MD is a 9/10 in the sound dept, FI has to be a 8-8.5. I'll take that along with the gorgeous design and perfect fitment any day.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

What size resonators are you running on the CBE? 18"?
Resonators on the cats, 18" resonators in the mid-pipes (which are upsized to 2.5"), and resonated tips, FWIW. Basically, I've resonated the heck out of it, while widening the pipes and freeing up the catalyst. It really is a wonderful sound, far more exotic than the actual car, IMO.

Looking forward to Spring 2018, when I get the car tuned. Over the years, I've come to this opinion that the exhaust can be effected by the tune, so I'm eager to find out for myself.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-09-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread