G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 06:06 PM
simonfsho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
Sounds like you're essentially after the same thing that I was. The "chambers" you speak of are Hemholtz resonators. AFAIK the only way to get these are to either buy a catback that already has them like the MD or Ark, or try and find a REALLY competent exhaust shop. I was doing some lurking around some Miata, Mustang, and other forums and some folks had tried but were inevitably limited by the shops they went to.

IF you decide to go this route, I highly suggest looking into an actual race shop that specializes in fabrication. Most shops that deal with track cars, time-attack cars, etc. are more than equipped to build something like this. Whether it will sound good, look good, and stand the test of time is a crapshoot. It probably wouldn't be cheap, nor would it provide the insane R&D time to back the product like you would from a product made by an actual exhaust company.

You get what you pay for.
Or maybe that's just my conscience trying to justify the fact that I just blew $2k on an exhaust system myself.

Are those Helmholtz resonators combined with the muffler MD provides in their catback system? The shop I'm thinking of taking my car to fabricates their own systems. @dmcexhaustwerks on instagram. Check them out and see what you think. I believe they created their own resonators as well.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by simonfsho
Are those Helmholtz resonators combined with the muffler MD provides in their catback system? The shop I'm thinking of taking my car to fabricates their own systems. @dmcexhaustwerks on instagram. Check them out and see what you think. I believe they created their own resonators as well.
Yes, the MD system comes with their own Hemholtz built in. What I liked about their exhaust was that they used ONLY the Hemholtz in lieu of a muffler for the rear portion of the exhaust, which gives it a very low and sleek profile. The main reason I hate the Ark so much is that they used a Hemholtz AND THEN a muffler, which is why the cans on that exhaust are basically Folgers coffee cans in my eyes. See pic below for reference (Ark on left, MD on right):

I scoped out the shop you posted and it looks like they do a lot of custom work. The thing about Hemholtz resonators that I've found through my limited Google searching is that the internal design is a smidge more complex than your standard resonator. If you trust them to do the job, I say go for it.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 PM
simonfsho

Yes, the MD system comes with their own Hemholtz built in. What I liked about their exhaust was that they used ONLY the Hemholtz in lieu of a muffler for the rear portion of the exhaust, which gives it a very low and sleek profile. The main reason I hate the Ark so much is that they used a Hemholtz AND THEN a muffler, which is why the cans on that exhaust are basically Folgers coffee cans in my eyes. See pic below for reference (Ark on left, MD on right):

I scoped out the shop you posted and it looks like they do a lot of custom work. The thing about Hemholtz resonators that I've found through my limited Google searching is that the internal design is a smidge more complex than your standard resonator. If you trust them to do the job, I say go for it.
man both those cars look cleaaaaan though. I see what you mean by the Folgers coffee can look. Between those two, which one has a deeper growl sound?

Yeah I asked the shop if they can make a custom exhaust system similar to the MD and they said yet. Gonna go check them out tomorrow!
Old 08-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
man both those cars look cleaaaaan though. I see what you mean by the Folgers coffee can look. Between those two, which one has a deeper growl sound?

Yeah I asked the shop if they can make a custom exhaust system similar to the MD and they said yet. Gonna go check them out tomorrow!
Both cars are awesome in my book! From my experience reading reviews and watching videos, the Ark produces a deeper growl thanks to the mufflers it has and is much quieter than the MD. Combined with a set of RTPs or RHFCs I think the Ark sounds amazing, I just don't personally like the look of them.

Congrats! Keep us all updated on your progress, I for one am interested to see how the finished product would look!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:04 PM
simonfsho

Both cars are awesome in my book! From my experience reading reviews and watching videos, the Ark produces a deeper growl thanks to the mufflers it has and is much quieter than the MD. Combined with a set of RTPs or RHFCs I think the Ark sounds amazing, I just don't personally like the look of them.

Congrats! Keep us all updated on your progress, I for one am interested to see how the finished product would look!
So I went to another shop today for a quote and some suggestions. The guy recommended I get 2.25 inch piping all around with an magnaflow x pipe, magnaflow resonators and magnaflow mufflers.

Anyone see a problem with this set up? Only thing I'm iffy about is the x pipe. I would rather get a resonated one to reduce some drone. And maybe different mufflers

Last edited by simonfsho; 08-19-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:47 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
So I went to another shop today for a quote and some suggestions. The guy recommended I get 2.25 inch piping all around with an magnaflow x pipe, magnaflow resonators and magnaflow mufflers.

Anyone see a problem with this set up? Only thing I'm iffy about is the x pipe. I would rather get a resonated one to reduce some drone. And maybe different mufflers
Do you have any other mufflers in mind? I was looking at Magnaflow mufflers but I've been reading mixed things.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:21 AM
simonfsho

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Do you have any other mufflers in mind? I was looking at Magnaflow mufflers but I've been reading mixed things.
No, I don't have any others in mind. He recommended me the magnaflow mufflers because I told him I was going for a deeper tone. But yeah I've heard mixed things about it. I know the general consensus is that it's not really for our cars

If I could get some chambered mufflers like that one post I wouldn't mind that. Love the sound on that car.

Tomorrow I'll be going to the custom exhaust shop to see if they can replicate something close to the Ark or Motordyne exhaust system
Old 08-19-2017, 11:47 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

No, I don't have any others in mind. He recommended me the magnaflow mufflers because I told him I was going for a deeper tone. But yeah I've heard mixed things about it. I know the general consensus is that it's not really for our cars

If I could get some chambered mufflers like that one post I wouldn't mind that. Love the sound on that car.

Tomorrow I'll be going to the custom exhaust shop to see if they can replicate something close to the Ark or Motordyne exhaust system

I'll look into the chambered mufflers then. Keep us posted and upload any videos if you can. I'm interested to see how yours sounds.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:05 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
If I was able to upload a clip of my exhaust you'd definitely be satisfied. I used 2 xlerator 18" 2.25" resonators to 2 vibrant ultra quiet resonators. It's extremely smooth with no rasp and hardly any drone

Put the xlerator resonators where the OEM ones were and the ultra quiets where the mufflers were. It's a straight through setup too so that's a plus
Old 08-19-2017, 02:19 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Earlier this week I took the G to a custom exhaust shop and gave them those same exact requirements, except I wanted them to also keep it fairly quiet. They had some difficulties achieving this and I ended up wasting some money with taking my car back after I wasn't satisfied. I almost just recommend getting a nice catback or axleback/resonator setup that's proven to sound good. I'm still not happy with my custom setup and will have to dish out even more to get it sounding more throaty.

If you don't want to go that route and go the custom way, from my experience, I highly recommend the Magnaflow resonated x pipe to reduce any rasp. It reduced A LOT of rasp that I was having. The turbo mufflers they installed don't seem to do well on the sedan though, but that may just be my setup.

I was wondering too if just mufflers would do the trick. If you've seen the video I posted a page back, underneath behind the x-pipe, there looks to be like two turbo mufflers that replace the resonators, but I honestly have no clue. Do you know what they installed right behind the x-pipe?

And how loud is the ProXS? I'd like something quiet without drone.
It's loud but not XR1 loud. Seen some guys running them on M5 (90s-2005) forum but that's a inline 6...Borla made an exhaust for the G35 so if you want an idea, check out some videos and I'm sure it would sound close.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:46 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
It's loud but not XR1 loud. Seen some guys running them on M5 (90s-2005) forum but that's a inline 6...Borla made an exhaust for the G35 so if you want an idea, check out some videos and I'm sure it would sound close.
Damn, from what I've heard I think they're a bit too loud. It's a shame because they look nice and aren't too expensive. I wonder if there's anything similar that's not quite as loud.

I'm kind of warming up to how my car sounds at high revs. Took a takeoff video today:
Old 08-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Has anyone ever taken off the heat shields ? On the cats ..mine tend to rattle at idle, otherwise their fine...Being in NY where they salt the roads , their basically corroding and rusty...replace? ..if possible..or remove ??
Old 08-21-2017, 08:42 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I liked the chambered Magnaflows personally. They remind me a lot of the MD system with the rumble down low but open up at high RPMS. It's tough, the only sound clips for our car feature the turbo mufflers, not the chambered. Chambered sound a lot better IMO.

Borla doesn't make a chambered system. It's straight through for both those mufflers.

For either one I'd go with the MF resonated X. Seems to be the very popular choice unless you want drone lol. I'd also go with the Vibrant resonators since they seem to be the most used and guys have given them the seal of approval.

If I were you, I'd abandon a MD, ARK, FI system. You're already down the custom path and might as well see it through. I really think you're a set of mufflers away; pendin the tone you're going for.
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 02:33 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^ Tanabe or top speed axle/mid back and call it a day.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:37 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kroy
^ Tanabe or top speed axle/mid back and call it a day.
Tanabe + 2.25-2.5'' custom piping sounds ferocious IMO. The Tanabes wake up with that larger piping. Always hear guys saying they're too quite but the one guy who did custom piping had to put on resonators since it turned it into a banshee lol...

plus, the Tanabe look really good.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread