G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:52 AM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
Nope! I probably won't be doing anything else other than exhaust. I live in the city and share my car with my SO, and only get to drive the car so often. I was originally going to slam it and get some TE37s but the roads here during the winter suck ***** and I don't trust my SO with potholes when she drives the car during the week.

I honestly can't speak to the sluggishness as I've not driven a bone stock G in a long time. The guy who had it before me did a **** job at the install and I need to finish cleaning my TBs so who knows lol.

If you go the route of an axleback, I'll be throwing my Tanabe axle-backs up in the classifieds soon enough, there's already a set on there I think!
Oh ok i see, people say you get better results after tuning with those two mods though. I also have a Tanabe axleback that'll be going up for sale too, it's keeping entertained for now.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:16 AM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ37VHR13
Oh ok i see, people say you get better results after tuning with those two mods though. I also have a Tanabe axleback that'll be going up for sale too, it's keeping entertained for now.
Youll get good results but probably better results if you get either HFCs or TPs. Unless you plan on skipping a full exhaust build I would hold off on a tune. The bulk of any gains you'll see will come from those/intakes/intake manifolds/headers. You'd probably make the most gains from modded stock air boxes, TPs, intake manifold and headers (although from what I've seen headers yield top end gains while taking away some "grunt" on the lower end of the rpm band).

BTW I've been youtubing and instagramming everything motordyne related. I am incredibly anxious to get this exhaust on
Old 08-18-2017, 11:22 AM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
Youll get good results but probably better results if you get either HFCs or TPs. Unless you plan on skipping a full exhaust build I would hold off on a tune. The bulk of any gains you'll see will come from those/intakes/intake manifolds/headers. You'd probably make the most gains from modded stock air boxes, TPs, intake manifold and headers (although from what I've seen headers yield top end gains while taking away some "grunt" on the lower end of the rpm band).

BTW I've been youtubing and instagramming everything motordyne related. I am incredibly anxious to get this exhaust on
Yea, i've heard that too, i eventually want to remove the stock cats, Just need to find one that doesn't result in the exhaust getting raspy. Thanks for your input though.

Same here, i think i've now watch all the Motordyne exhaust vids on YouTube for the G37lol.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:39 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ37VHR13
Yea, i've heard that too, i eventually want to remove the stock cats, Just need to find one that doesn't result in the exhaust getting raspy. Thanks for your input though.

Same here, i think i've now watch all the Motordyne exhaust vids on YouTube for the G37lol.

The MotorDyne does a great job at reducing rasp with just about any aftermarket HFC/Res Test Pipe/Test Pipe. I'm honestly thinking about taking off my ART pipes and going to straight test pipes. On the 370z platform, straight test pipes paired to a Motordyne catback does not even rasp. Our piping length, resonator specifications are different than the 370z but I have a good feeling it will not rasp.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:49 PM
simonfsho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys I'm fairly new to the site and was wondering if anyone can help me out. I went through all the pages on this thread doing my fair research.

I'm taking my sedan to some exhaust/muffler shops this weekend to see if they can hook me up with a sweet custom exhaust setup. I know the sound I want is a very deep growling sound without much rasp at all. I've thought about maybe some flowmaster mufflers to go with a resonated x pipe and about 2.5 inch piping all round.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2017, 03:08 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by simonfsho
Hey guys I'm fairly new to the site and was wondering if anyone can help me out. I went through all the pages on this thread doing my fair research.

I'm taking my sedan to some exhaust/muffler shops this weekend to see if they can hook me up with a sweet custom exhaust setup. I know the sound I want is a very deep growling sound without much rasp at all. I've thought about maybe some flowmaster mufflers to go with a resonated x pipe and about 2.5 inch piping all round.

Thanks in advance!
Before I address the above, Obsidian, your exhaust sounds night and day better than it did. I think you're mufflers away but that's just me.

For the above, Simon, What material is being used? Is it Mandrel bent? What kind of Resonated X pipe? Magnaflow? Flowmasters may drone. Listen to the 44 series on you tube to get an idea. I just got finished doing this research and was going to go with 2.5'' piping with the Magnaflow X pipe and 2 chamber mufflers by Magnaflow as well. Figured if I didn't like the sound, you can always get 18'' Vibrant resonators and see what they do. Absolute worst case scenario, spring for Tanabe axle backs and have the 2.5 piping mate to it after installing 2.5 to 2.25 resonators. Bullet proof...or so I thought.

The thing that killed it: 409SS

If you live is a salt free state or have mild winters then go for it. If not, this stuff will rust. That's also why the 304 (Fast Intentions) cost so much; but it stays looking good 10+ years later.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:23 PM
simonfsho

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Before I address the above, Obsidian, your exhaust sounds night and day better than it did. I think you're mufflers away but that's just me.

For the above, Simon, What material is being used? Is it Mandrel bent? What kind of Resonated X pipe? Magnaflow? Flowmasters may drone. Listen to the 44 series on you tube to get an idea. I just got finished doing this research and was going to go with 2.5'' piping with the Magnaflow X pipe and 2 chamber mufflers by Magnaflow as well. Figured if I didn't like the sound, you can always get 18'' Vibrant resonators and see what they do. Absolute worst case scenario, spring for Tanabe axle backs and have the 2.5 piping mate to it after installing 2.5 to 2.25 resonators. Bullet proof...or so I thought.

The thing that killed it: 409SS

If you live is a salt free state or have mild winters then go for it. If not, this stuff will rust. That's also why the 304 (Fast Intentions) cost so much; but it stays looking good 10+ years later.

I'm going to ask for stainless steel and mandrel bent. I was thinking the magnaflow x pipe and 2.5 piping like you are. Just kind of undecided on the muffler. I live in california so no issue with rain/salt. I have a stillen gen3 intake installed so i'm pretty excited to get an exhaust system.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:28 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Don't ask for mandrel-bent. Ask for non-crush bends.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:38 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Don't ask for mandrel-bent. Ask for non-crush bends.
....explain? I'm genuinely curious as to why you ask this way.

@simon, you're lucky. The Magnaflow resonated X is almost a staple of any custom build. Turbo mufflers don't sound too great with our cars IMO. Listen to the magnaflow system that was made for the G35. Those are turbo mufflers. There's a chambered racing muffler a page or two back. If you go with chambered, get the 5 x 9 or 4 x 8 oval so that the drone isn't as bad. Straight through ovals sound very good as well.

Also check out Borla XR1 and ProXS mufflers. Personally, I'd go with ProXS if I went that route. From what I gathered, the XR1 is extremely loud.

Edit: if you go with the flowmaster, 40 Series are the ones you will probably want to go with. Summit offers a decent knockoff but from what I hear, there's more drone.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:43 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Even crush bend machines can and do use a mandrel. I got burned by this once.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:14 PM
simonfsho

@simon, you're lucky. The Magnaflow resonated X is almost a staple of any custom build. Turbo mufflers don't sound too great with our cars IMO. Listen to the magnaflow system that was made for the G35. Those are turbo mufflers. There's a chambered racing muffler a page or two back. If you go with chambered, get the 5 x 9 or 4 x 8 oval so that the drone isn't as bad. Straight through ovals sound very good as well.

Also check out Borla XR1 and ProXS mufflers. Personally, I'd go with ProXS if I went that route. From what I gathered, the XR1 is extremely loud.

Edit: if you go with the flowmaster, 40 Series are the ones you will probably want to go with. Summit offers a decent knockoff but from what I hear, there's more drone.
Yeah i heard using the magnaflow resonated x pipe keeps the rasp down which is good considering I want a lower deeper sound.

The chambered racing mufflers look like the ones motordyne catback system uses right?

I want my system to look as close as possible to a motordyne or ark system.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-18-2017, 04:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
If Borla made a catback for the Sedan, I would have seriously given that consideration over FI. Never heard a Borla exhaust that I didn't like. But hey, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Wellnotexactly

Yeah i heard using the magnaflow resonated x pipe keeps the rasp down which is good considering I want a lower deeper sound.

The chambered racing mufflers look like the ones motordyne catback system uses right?

I want my system to look as close as possible to a motordyne or ark system.

Thanks guys!
Sounds like you're essentially after the same thing that I was. The "chambers" you speak of are Hemholtz resonators. AFAIK the only way to get these are to either buy a catback that already has them like the MD or Ark, or try and find a REALLY competent exhaust shop. I was doing some lurking around some Miata, Mustang, and other forums and some folks had tried but were inevitably limited by the shops they went to.

IF you decide to go this route, I highly suggest looking into an actual race shop that specializes in fabrication. Most shops that deal with track cars, time-attack cars, etc. are more than equipped to build something like this. Whether it will sound good, look good, and stand the test of time is a crapshoot. It probably wouldn't be cheap, nor would it provide the insane R&D time to back the product like you would from a product made by an actual exhaust company.

You get what you pay for.
Or maybe that's just my conscience trying to justify the fact that I just blew $2k on an exhaust system myself.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:43 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Earlier this week I took the G to a custom exhaust shop and gave them those same exact requirements, except I wanted them to also keep it fairly quiet. They had some difficulties achieving this and I ended up wasting some money with taking my car back after I wasn't satisfied. I almost just recommend getting a nice catback or axleback/resonator setup that's proven to sound good. I'm still not happy with my custom setup and will have to dish out even more to get it sounding more throaty.

If you don't want to go that route and go the custom way, from my experience, I highly recommend the Magnaflow resonated x pipe to reduce any rasp. It reduced A LOT of rasp that I was having. The turbo mufflers they installed don't seem to do well on the sedan though, but that may just be my setup.

I was wondering too if just mufflers would do the trick. If you've seen the video I posted a page back, underneath behind the x-pipe, there looks to be like two turbo mufflers that replace the resonators, but I honestly have no clue. Do you know what they installed right behind the x-pipe?

And how loud is the ProXS? I'd like something quiet without drone.

Last edited by obsidiansamurai; 08-18-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by Rochester
If Borla made a catback for the Sedan, I would have seriously given that consideration over FI. Never heard a Borla exhaust that I didn't like. But hey, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
Interesting. The catback section of my turbo-back exhaust on my GLI was Borla and I ditched it for an APR exhaust because I hated it so much. It gave me all the "DSG-farts", burbles on downshifts, and sounded SO good on cold-starts. Inevitably, the drone was just too insane for city-driving and god forbid I needed to use the highway.

I honestly have never heard a Borla sound good on anything non-Domestic.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread