G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:48 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Magnaflow Resonated X Pipe Installed

Just picked the G up and the Magnaflow resonated x pipe reduced a lot of the rasp. I think it's tolerable at this point but I will still save for something nicer.

Here's the vid:
https://youtu.be/dRniSNyjyWE

And an interior vid:
https://youtu.be/qk2654_pyGI
Old 08-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ37VHR13
Just got an update from the shop i bought the Motordyne through. The projected date of completion is SEPTEMBER 29TH. I think if i don't get it by then, i might suck it up and go with ARK.
im actually about to pull the trigger on a MD E370 for my 2008 G35X through race consulting agency. They said it would be around Sept 25th. I've spent literal HOURS of research on exhaust and have basically decided upon MD as the best possible route for the sound I want (this will likely also be the only "real" mod I do to the car as I bought it with gen3s already on).

FWIW, I currently have Tanabe axlebacks which will probably be posted FS in the next few days. Talk about one end of the spectrum to the other eh?
Old 08-17-2017, 02:11 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
When the exhaust was stock, I would get absolutely no rasp when starting it in the morning. I wouldn't get any rasp until it hit about 4-5k RPMs. I'm probably exaggerating with how much rasp there was - it wasn't awful, but definitely noticeable.

Shop just called and said it "sounded great", but I'll be the one to determine that. I'll post a video of how it sounds when I pick it up!
So you think the stock exhaust sounds raspy?

I'm in southern Missouri so we get quite a bit of rain (raining right now), but not much snow. The car also sits outside because it scrapes going into my garage, so not sure if something like that would hold up in the long term. They do sound nice from what I've heard though.
It's not a bad price, but I hear they sometimes rust a bit fast.

Just picked the G up and the Magnaflow resonated x pipe reduced a lot of the rasp. I think it's tolerable at this point but I will still save for something nicer.

Here's the vid:
https://youtu.be/dRniSNyjyWE

And an interior vid:
https://youtu.be/qk2654_pyGI
I would just get a axle back or mid back. You don't need a catback since you already have x pipe. Or just get a invidia q300 if you want a decent cheaper catback that sounds close to stock.

Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
im actually about to pull the trigger on a MD E370 for my 2008 G35X through race consulting agency. They said it would be around Sept 25th. I've spent literal HOURS of research on exhaust and have basically decided upon MD as the best possible route for the sound I want (this will likely also be the only "real" mod I do to the car as I bought it with gen3s already on).

FWIW, I currently have Tanabe axlebacks which will probably be posted FS in the next few days. Talk about one end of the spectrum to the other eh?
Have you priced it out with sponsored vendors? I personally would. Found that pricing would vary a bit depending on the vendor.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by kroy

Have you priced it out with sponsored vendors? I personally would. Found that pricing would vary a bit depending on the vendor.
So far I've been looking to see who even has the model for the X sedan and have been going from there. I was quoted $1800 all said and done by RCA, which seems about right for the MD.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:17 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
So you think the stock exhaust sounds raspy?

It's not a bad price, but I hear they sometimes rust a bit fast.

I would just get a axle back or mid back. You don't need a catback since you already have x pipe. Or just get a invidia q300 if you want a decent cheaper catback that sounds close to stock.

I think the stock exhaust sounds raspy at high revs, but there could've been something wrong with it. Do you think it does?

I thought about just doing the axel back too since I installed the x pipe. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm a weirdo and want to keep my car as close to stock appearance as possible. I'm having troubles finding a quieter axel back exhaust that is close to stock size.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Just got an update from the shop i bought the Motordyne through. The projected date of completion is SEPTEMBER 29TH. I think if i don't get it by then, i might suck it up and go with ARK.
Thats great news.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:14 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is your car tuned? I was thinking about getting the gen 3s too but i hear they're sluggish without a tune, which i plan on doing after i get my catback. And i know right?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:19 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jake85
Thats great news.
Yea, as long as they stay true to their word lol
Old 08-17-2017, 07:30 PM
kroy
Registered Member

I think the stock exhaust sounds raspy at high revs, but there could've been something wrong with it. Do you think it does?

I thought about just doing the axel back too since I installed the x pipe. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm a weirdo and want to keep my car as close to stock appearance as possible. I'm having troubles finding a quieter axel back exhaust that is close to stock size.
I think it sounds more like crackling. And I love it. Part of that beautiful infiniti exhaust note.

If you can find a good price, go tanabe. Getting one used for 400ish is probably your best bet for it. New price is ridiculous; I would rather get a full cbe q300 for like $900 than get a tanabe axleback for $700.

Topspeed axleback is less than $300 new. Midback is less than $400. Still a legit option for cheap. If you don't care about rust, get it.

Otherwise, if you end up getting a real CBE, get invidia q300($900) or hks($1100). Those have the closest to stock sound. I feel like q300 fits your needs the best but it's not that loud.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:34 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Is your car tuned? I was thinking about getting the gen 3s too but i hear they're sluggish without a tune, which i plan on doing after i get my catback. And i know right?
By gen3's do you mean stillen gen3? I wouldn't worry about it slowing your car down too much. You'll lose a tiny bit in one place and gain a tiny bit in another place in the RPM band. I wouldn't get a tune just for intake.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Wellnotexactly

Nope! I probably won't be doing anything else other than exhaust. I live in the city and share my car with my SO, and only get to drive the car so often. I was originally going to slam it and get some TE37s but the roads here during the winter suck ***** and I don't trust my SO with potholes when she drives the car during the week.

I honestly can't speak to the sluggishness as I've not driven a bone stock G in a long time. The guy who had it before me did a **** job at the install and I need to finish cleaning my TBs so who knows lol.

If you go the route of an axleback, I'll be throwing my Tanabe axle-backs up in the classifieds soon enough, there's already a set on there I think!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:52 PM
kroy
Registered Member

The guy who had it before me did a **** job at the install and I need to finish cleaning my TBs so who knows lol.
How do you F up a intake install? Legit curious. Share pics if it looks horrendously. I want to laugh at some facepalm.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Wellnotexactly

How do you F up a intake install? Legit curious. Share pics if it looks horrendously. I want to laugh at some facepalm.
Haha trust me I wish I knew what was going through his head. So the left side intake was missing a breather hose, the rain guard was put on completely crooked and the filters weren't lining up at all because he put the mounting bracket on upside down. I laughed pretty hard when I tore it all down and had to put it on the right way.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:14 PM
emerilnut
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Amazing. That guy actually screwed up putting a square peg in a square hole.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:47 AM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

By gen3's do you mean stillen gen3? I wouldn't worry about it slowing your car down too much. You'll lose a tiny bit in one place and gain a tiny bit in another place in the RPM band. I wouldn't get a tune just for intake.
Thanks man. Yes Stillen gen 3s, i planned on getting tuned after both the intake and the catback.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread