G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Those flat black cans look kind of interesting, but you're right... sounds horrible, like an empty paint can filled with little rocks. Not exactly what you want in a 6MT Sport Sedan. And whatever you've got there in place of the OEM resonators looks like you've compromised some clearance, which if I'm seeing that right... yikes!

While I respect and relate to your approach in asking a shop to fab a custom setup on the cheap, seems you've learned why a full aftermarket cat-back has a better chance for success here.

Good luck, buddy.
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 11:05 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
They ordered the 11385 x pipe so I'm pretty sure they kept everything stock diameter. If I'm still not happy I will talk to my local z shop about replacing the turbo mufflers with a 2 chamber system, but at that point I really wouldn't mind just installing a nice axel back, like Tanabe.

I prefer to keep my vehicles stock looking so I really don't mind how it looks. Part of the reason I went this route was because the nice sounding axel back mufflers stick out too much. If I could find an axel back that sounds like a Tanabe but looks closer to stock, I'd be in heaven.

BTW, you guys are much more helpful than Reddit. Should've registered here waaay earlier. Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Lol...I frequent the Infiniti sub often and offer as much help as I can while posting the link to this forum. Catch as many as I can but I'm one man.

They bumped you up to 2.25 piping dude. Still a good choice! I think the mufflers need changing along with the MF X pipe and you'll be good
Old 08-16-2017, 11:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
...but at that point I really wouldn't mind just installing a nice axel back, like Tanabe.
You keep saying that. Kind of odd.

The Tanabe Medallion looks OK, certainly better than stock. But the general consensus is that the Tababe sounds virtually identical to the OEM mufflers. What Tanabe has going for it are DIY installation, good fitment, reasonable price, and passably good looks.

But sounding good? That's kind of a stretch. Better to simply say it doesn't sound bad.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:23 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Rochester! I've been a lurker here for sometime and have come across many informative posts of yours. Thanks for chiming in!

I've definitely learned my lesson, and if the shop can't get the custom setup sounding right, I will end up dishing out money for a proper setup. Which sucks because that was money I had set aside for sway bars....oh well, such is life.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Haha, well, not everyone feels that way. But hey, thanks.
  1. Get closure with this custom shop, whatever that means.
  2. Buy your swaybars, because the way your car drives is vastly more fun than the way it sounds... although having both is nice.
  3. Save up and get a cat-back.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:54 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

I really hope they can get it to a point where I can tolerate it, if that's the case, then I'll be buying the sway bars and look into a nice, quieter catback.

As for your other post, I originally set out to eliminate rasp that the OEM exhaust had at high-revs. From what I've read, the Tanabe does that. I don't want it loud and really don't mind the stock exhaust note either, I just hate that damn rasp.

But really, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Lots of learning to be had with exhaust systems and if I can find a quieter catback exhaust, I may eventually pull the trigger on it instead of just an axel-back.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Sounds clip somewhere on here with 2.25 dia piping paired with the Tanabe that doesn't sound bad. Hate to see you throw away what you're currently working with, make the best of it, but you can see why guys buy a cat-back exhaust lol.

Edit: here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu0S...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Sounds clip somewhere on here with 2.25 dia piping paired with the Tanabe that doesn't sound bad. Hate to see you throw away what you're currently working with, make the best of it, but you can see why guys buy a cat-back exhaust lol.

Edit: here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu0S531C5eQ&
feature=youtu.be
In this clip he is running tanabes with NO resonators.There will be some rasp with that set up.
OP said you had rasp with the oem setup ? Thats very odd.
In my opinion save your $$ Put your stock mufflers on and find some nice tips to put on there and a set of oem resonators or 18" vibrant resonators.
I'm running these tips
Vibrant Performance .
Old 08-16-2017, 12:52 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
In this clip he is running tanabes with NO resonators.There will be some rasp with that set up.
OP said you had rasp with the oem setup ? Thats very odd.
In my opinion save your $$ Put your stock mufflers on and find some nice tips to put on there and a set of oem resonators or 18" vibrant resonators.
I'm running these tips
Vibrant Performance .
I don't know if I had something loose, but I'd get rasp when I'd wind her up with the OEM exhaust...hence my venture forth into the world of exhaust systems.

I'll consider that option with the vibrant resonators. A lot of videos I've seen with them sound nice. I hate to scrap all this work but really won't know what to do until I get a call back from the shop.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:10 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I wasn't for sure for that video but I remember reading that he ended up putting resonators back on the car.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
They ordered the 11385 x pipe so I'm pretty sure they kept everything stock diameter. If I'm still not happy I will talk to my local z shop about replacing the turbo mufflers with a 2 chamber system, but at that point I really wouldn't mind just installing a nice axel back, like Tanabe.

I prefer to keep my vehicles stock looking so I really don't mind how it looks. Part of the reason I went this route was because the nice sounding axel back mufflers stick out too much. If I could find an axel back that sounds like a Tanabe but looks closer to stock, I'd be in heaven.

BTW, you guys are much more helpful than Reddit. Should've registered here waaay earlier. Thanks for all the help!

I think the magnaflow xpipe may help. Maybe not totally though.

You should also consider topspeed. They have an axleback too. If you live in a dry place (not so much rain/snow for rust) I would go with topspeed if you want to go cheap route. It sounds great for the money.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:21 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I don't know if I had something loose, but I'd get rasp when I'd wind her up with the OEM exhaust...hence my venture forth into the world of exhaust systems.

I'll consider that option with the vibrant resonators. A lot of videos I've seen with them sound nice. I hate to scrap all this work but really won't know what to do until I get a call back from the shop.
If you were getting rasp,It could be from your cats.The exhaust on our cars are very unique sounding. Does the rasp sound the same as when you start it up in the morning and the cats have That slight raspy until they warm up?
Old 08-16-2017, 04:38 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
If you were getting rasp,It could be from your cats.The exhaust on our cars are very unique sounding. Does the rasp sound the same as when you start it up in the morning and the cats have That slight raspy until they warm up?
When the exhaust was stock, I would get absolutely no rasp when starting it in the morning. I wouldn't get any rasp until it hit about 4-5k RPMs. I'm probably exaggerating with how much rasp there was - it wasn't awful, but definitely noticeable.

Shop just called and said it "sounded great", but I'll be the one to determine that. I'll post a video of how it sounds when I pick it up!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:01 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

I'm in southern Missouri so we get quite a bit of rain (raining right now), but not much snow. The car also sits outside because it scrapes going into my garage, so not sure if something like that would hold up in the long term. They do sound nice from what I've heard though.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread