G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Yeah, fist-shaking is a solid sign of disapproval. Haha, wow.

RMB5190, I don't think there's a single member here who isn't satisfied with their FI exhaust. Top-shelf quality, and a wonderfully rewarding exhaust note.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:12 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
FI was probably the first system in this thread I heard that made me say "that one" out loud. Then I heard the Motordyne shortly after and was all about that one. It's going to go back and forth like that until I pull the trigger on one. This week has been Motordyne. Last month was all FI.

Going to come down to eenie meenie miney mo decision.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RMB5190
FI was probably the first system in this thread I heard that made me say "that one" out loud. Then I heard the Motordyne shortly after and was all about that one. It's going to go back and forth like that until I pull the trigger on one. This week has been Motordyne. Last month was all FI.

Going to come down to eenie meenie miney mo decision.
Same for me for a couple of years, but in reverse, and ARK instead of Motordyne... although I think they sound the same, because they both use Helmholtz resonators. Back and forth I went between ARK and FI. In the end, the FI fitment and the simply gorgeous FI tips (and cans) were what made up my mind, more so than the sound.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:34 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Not making it easier Rochester...lol

It is gorgeous though. I really like the deep tone FI provides but the F1 pitch of Motordyne is appealing. The FI rolled tips is very clean where the MD system has attitude with the way the mufflers are positioned.

Stumbled across you're Youtube channel (I think) while listening to clips, is it really that much of a difference inside with the noise? You can hear the MD system scream with the inside videos I've heard. Wondering if the FI system is that much quieter even with HFCs.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Not making it easier Rochester...lol

It is gorgeous though. I really like the deep tone FI provides but the F1 pitch of Motordyne is appealing. The FI rolled tips is very clean where the MD system has attitude with the way the mufflers are positioned.

Stumbled across you're Youtube channel (I think) while listening to clips, is it really that much of a difference inside with the noise? You can hear the MD system scream with the inside videos I've heard. Wondering if the FI system is that much quieter even with HFCs.
I don't have any interior videos with the full FI exhaust. Truth be told, I've only a few dozen videos on my channel, some cars, some the kids. Mostly cars...

The look of the MD and ARK are in-your-face, like jewelry on a thug. The look of the FI exhaust is upscale, but still means business.

So many metaphores, LOL.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:26 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The mean mug + fist shaking is usually bad...but seriously, I get the furrowed brow stare down just for a slightly aggressive take-off and I'm stock.

Motordyne is purely out of spite lol. I like the tone of it a lot and it's slowly grown on me over the FI system. That said, the FI system is my go to if this doesn't come to fruition.

Quickly, I thought MD already made a Sedan system: https://www.z1motorsports.com/exhaus...st-p-7305.html

This won't fit the AWD?
I don't know about that specific one, but i know there's one for the G37X sedan..although it's still not on their website.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You guys are assuming these stares are critical, and you're projecting an aggressively defensive reaction. Instead, assume the stares come from a sense of awe in observing an impressive car, and enjoy the moment.

You can't control, or know, what other people are thinking... unless they're frowning at you, and grabbing their kids in fear (LOL). But your perception is your own, so own it.

I'm not assuming anything. The basis for me saying that was coming from a standpoint of the neighbors already being offended by it. I appreciate the perceptiveness though good sir.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
The FI exhaust sounds weak in comparison. It doesn't have that scream and good raspy sound of the Motordyne, at least from the vids ive seen. The ARK doesn't scream like that either. I'm sure I would be smiling from ear to ear with either one installed on my car but there seem to be significant differences in sound between the three. As for the jewelry on a thug metaphor, cmon, thats a bit of a stretch lol. The rest of my car is understated and the exhaust doesn't dangle from the windshield, its tucked up undernieth the car with only the tips sticking out.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:27 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I think it's more or less two different tones rather than one screams and one doesn't. The FI is a more collected deep rumble while the Motordyne is a screaming Banshee. Roch's assessment was dead on lol

Who are we kidding LOL
Old 08-03-2017, 04:21 PM
G37_4DR

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Man, that ^^^ sounds awesome! Friggin' rips!
Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
I think it's more or less two different tones rather than one screams and one doesn't. The FI is a more collected deep rumble while the Motordyne is a screaming Banshee. Roch's assessment was dead on lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQpjKa887fQ

Who are we kidding LOL
Hey, that's me! The car sounds a little different with headers that I have now installed. I also have an exhaust leak in that video.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That's pretty cool, MaQG37. Makes me want to do a WOT pass on video. You know, for the kids.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:52 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
That's pretty cool, MaQG37. Makes me want to do a WOT pass on video. You know, for the kids.
Highway? That's a closed racetrack I independently rented. And, for science. Why else?
Old 08-03-2017, 04:52 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
I don't understand how The Hudsucker Proxy fits...

Wait, does Tim Robbins say "for the kids?"
Old 08-03-2017, 05:28 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Same for me for a couple of years, but in reverse, and ARK instead of Motordyne... although I think they sound the same, because they both use Helmholtz resonators. Back and forth I went between ARK and FI. In the end, the FI fitment and the simply gorgeous FI tips (and cans) were what made up my mind, more so than the sound.

That looks beautiful~

I thought my ark polished tips looked pretty good but FI looks a bit nicer.

I ended up going ark because i liked the sound more. And no wait.

Both very high quality, so honestly you can't go wrong. It's a hard decision but should be based on what you personally like more.

I am curious tho, how is FI drone at under 2.5K rpm. Especially under 2K. I've noticed ark drones a bit more than IPL exhaust; not too much more though.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread