G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:40 PM
msi337
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had my FI RHFC's installed on my 09 G37x sedan and they are sweet..only concern I have is the car seems to idle about 100-200rpms lower than it did and it idles a little rough.. how do I fix it?

btw..they sound friggin amazing with my Tanabe Medalion
Old 07-05-2017, 10:57 PM
LssThanThree
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
There's no fix for that as far as I'm aware. I've been living with that vibration for a good 6 months now. It's not as bad now but it's still noticeable. The only thing I haven't tried is this.

I'm going to try that if it keeps vibrating after installing my FI cat back soon.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by LssThanThree
There's no fix for that as far as I'm aware. I've been living with that vibration for a good 6 months now. It's not as bad now but it's still noticeable. The only thing I haven't tried is this.

I'm going to try that if it keeps vibrating after installing my FI cat back soon.
IDK if I wrote this here before, however... I installed FI's RHFC a full year before upgrading the catback, and removing the solid rubber dampers off the OEM midpipe actually reduced vibrations. I know that runs counter-intuitive to their purpose, but it worked.

At least, that's how I remember it. As the years click by, it becomes more of a story and less of a memory.

As for vibrations with FI exhaust components... in addition to forgoing the OEM bracket between the cats, be aware that the Fast Intentions cat back has no flex section. It's completely solid. So there's that to look forward to, LOL.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-06-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:31 AM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I have the same vibration. It's only annoying because the rest of my OEM exhaust has rattles. Well, that and sometimes the idle surges just out of the vibration zone and then falls back down, giving a sort of pulsating effect. That may be a different issue, though it started at the same time, and it's just bouncing between the original idle and the new, slightly lower one. If I could adjust the idle up by 150-200rpm the additional NVH would be only barely noticeable, but that's probably not possible, at least without a tune.

Last edited by woofersus; 07-06-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:25 AM
LssThanThree
Registered Member

Originally Posted by msi337
Had my FI RHFC's installed on my 09 G37x sedan and they are sweet..only concern I have is the car seems to idle about 100-200rpms lower than it did and it idles a little rough.. how do I fix it?

btw..they sound friggin amazing with my Tanabe Medalion
I forgot to address your idle issue. I had that same problem. It would Idle at 500RPM most of the time and the car was completely silent. It didn't even feel like it was on. Still, I knew this wasn't normal so I took it to the dealer and they reflashed the ECU/TCM. The idle has been perfect since then.

Originally Posted by Rochester
IDK if I wrote this here before, however... I installed FI's RHFC a full year before upgrading the catback, and removing the solid rubber dampers off the OEM midpipe actually reduced vibrations. I know that runs counter-intuitive to their purpose, but it worked.

At least, that's how I remember it. As the years click by, it becomes more of a story and less of a memory.

As for vibrations with FI exhaust components... in addition to forgoing the OEM bracket between the cats, be aware that the Fast Intentions cat back has no flex section. It's completely solid. So there's that to look forward to, LOL.
I would try removing the rubber dampers but FI called me yesterday to let me know my CBE is almost ready.
I'm getting it installed at their shop so I'm pretty excited about that!
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I would try removing the rubber dampers but FI called me yesterday to let me know my CBE is almost ready.
I'm getting it installed at their shop so I'm pretty excited about that!
Installed on-site at Fast Intentions? That's pretty cool.

Sounds like a fun afternoon.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:34 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Glad to hear your exhaust is ready, LssThanThree. Let us know how the install goes at FI. Incidentally, where in SoCal do you live?
Old 07-06-2017, 01:52 PM
LssThanThree
Registered Member

Installed on-site at Fast Intentions? That's pretty cool.

Sounds like a fun afternoon.
Yep! In Simi Valley, CA. Hopefully sometime next week if not the week after for sure.

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Glad to hear your exhaust is ready, LssThanThree. Let us know how the install goes at FI. Incidentally, where in SoCal do you live?
Definitely.

I'm from Silver Lake. Are you anywhere near?
Old 07-06-2017, 02:10 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Contact us for awesome pricing on exhausts guys.

For anyone local in the socal area. We can get you a great price installed on Ark Performance exhausts, directly at their facility in Ontario, CA.

-Josh
Old 07-06-2017, 04:30 PM
10infiniti37s
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm looking to buy the Top Speed Y-back. I emailed the guy Nitish (He's the guy with a YouTube video of his car and the title says $540 shipped). He works with a vendor I think. Sounds pretty good and he said they'd be ready at the end of the month. Go for it?
Old 07-07-2017, 05:48 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Yep! In Simi Valley, CA. Hopefully sometime next week if not the week after for sure.

Definitely.

I'm from Silver Lake. Are you anywhere near?

Very cool. I'm about 45 miles outside of L.A. in Corona. I do sell to the pumping plant there in Silver Lake, so I get up there occasionally, but I'm usually just driving through your area to head up the coast.

You should come to the Spocom show in Anaheim later this month. I'll be showing there with around 20 other people from my car club.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:43 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by 10infiniti37s
I'm looking to buy the Top Speed Y-back. I emailed the guy Nitish (He's the guy with a YouTube video of his car and the title says $540 shipped). He works with a vendor I think. Sounds pretty good and he said they'd be ready at the end of the month. Go for it?
Nitish is a Canadian guy. Im not 100% sure if he sells to the US. He has a guy that imports parts from the US into Canada to avoid import charges and exchange rate, but not 100% sure if he has a direct connection to the vendor. Also, video of my car

I could be completely wrong, and hes a reseller now. I should give him a call and ask actually lol.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:34 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts

I believe my OEM rubber dampers on the exhaust hangers are drying out, because every now and then while driving, the FI exhaust will start to drone really bad. I also hear the hangers "squeaking". Pretty annoying if you asked me. Next time I'm under the car, I'll try to lubricate them and see if that fixes the problem. Unless someone here has an OEM part number?
Old 07-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I believe my OEM rubber dampers on the exhaust hangers are drying out, because every now and then while driving, the FI exhaust will start to drone really bad. I also hear the hangers "squeaking". Pretty annoying if you asked me. Next time I'm under the car, I'll try to lubricate them and see if that fixes the problem. Unless someone here has an OEM part number?
I'm feeling exactly the same. There's a lot of creaking underneath this year. Swaybars were just re-greased, so I'm wondering if new hangers are warranted.

Then again, the car is so much more visceral than OEM, particularly with the Z1 Transmission mount, so I'm more willing to compromise on some noises.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:11 PM
LssThanThree
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Very cool. I'm about 45 miles outside of L.A. in Corona. I do sell to the pumping plant there in Silver Lake, so I get up there occasionally, but I'm usually just driving through your area to head up the coast.

You should come to the Spocom show in Anaheim later this month. I'll be showing there with around 20 other people from my car club.
I'll definitely try to make it down there. Thanks!

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread