G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:30 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Just went through your page yesterday Tox ha ha. My only concern is the volume of the Motordyne. From my understanding, FI is a bit deeper but more subtle. I see you're in a neighborhood in the vid, any neighbor complaints?
i've moved since, but my neighbors loved me and that car so no complaints. the good thing about the motordyne is when youre not in it, its no loud at all.. car idles really quietly.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:37 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Just went through your page yesterday Tox ha ha. My only concern is the volume of the Motordyne. From my understanding, FI is a bit deeper but more subtle. I see you're in a neighborhood in the vid, any neighbor complaints?

Motordyne Vs FI at normal driving levels are very comparable. It's just after 4K RPM where the Motordyne just absolutely screams.

My local buddy has FI + HFC and he had test pipes before. His FI actually drones more than my full motordyne setup.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:03 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
It's a tough choice no doubt. Love the sound and looks of both of them but the customizing of the motordyne to fit the AWD system is what swayed me but with the AWD system they're coming out with its back to a level playing field.

We going to get the sound clip Banshee?
Old 04-19-2017, 03:30 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone have a good recommendation for my next move? I have tanabe axle back and vibrants. I want it louder. I am also contemplating buying the new Topspeed muffler delete axle back system that they just released. I wonder if that would sound pretty good paired with the vibrants. Anyone have a muffler delete with these that could chime in?
Old 04-19-2017, 03:46 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by James Harden
Anyone have a good recommendation for my next move? I have tanabe axle back and vibrants. I want it louder. I am also contemplating buying the new Topspeed muffler delete axle back system that they just released. I wonder if that would sound pretty good paired with the vibrants. Anyone have a muffler delete with these that could chime in?
If you want it louder, you may as well have just gone with a full catback (in terms of cost). The only thing I can suggest is HFC/test pipes, or just remove the resonators completely. Maybe some larger diameter piping on the midpipe too? There's a clip on Youtube with Tanabes paired with a resonator delete. Doesn't sound half bad, actually somewhat reminiscent of a Meisterschaft exhaust at higher revs.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:30 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Originally Posted by the93owner
If you want it louder, you may as well have just gone with a full catback (in terms of cost). The only thing I can suggest is HFC/test pipes, or just remove the resonators completely. Maybe some larger diameter piping on the midpipe too? There's a clip on Youtube with Tanabes paired with a resonator delete. Doesn't sound half bad, actually somewhat reminiscent of a Meisterschaft exhaust at higher revs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACYan9B4zYE
Yea man, I know I messed up. All of the advice on here was to go with a full catback rather than start with Tanabes but I am hardheaded sometimes. I was also really hesitant to get something too loud. And yea- currently I am at about $900 total cost.

I am strongly leaning towards the Topspeed muffler delete though as it looks good and for only $299 I could replace that and sell my Tanabes.

Last edited by James Harden; 04-19-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Yea man, I know I messed up. All of the advice on here was to go with a full catback rather than start with Tanabes but I am a hardheaded sometimes.
Lots of people baby-step with the Tanabe Medallion. It's easier on the wallet, and it looks fine... much better than the OEM setup. Cut yourself some slack and appreciate it for what it is, instead of dwelling on what it isn't. You're not the first person to have regrets over this axle-back.
The following users liked this post:
ToXIc (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 04:47 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Lots of people baby-step with the Tanabe Medallion. It's easier on the wallet, and it looks fine... much better than the OEM setup. Cut yourself some slack and appreciate it for what it is, instead of dwelling on what it isn't. You're not the first person to have regrets over this axle-back.
It is really nice looking, I will give it that. And ive had it for about 5-6 months now so its time to move on to something meaner.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:32 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
How did you mange to spend $900 on your tanabes?
Old 04-19-2017, 05:38 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
How did you mange to spend $900 on your tanabes?
Tanabes w/ shipping and install - $600

Vibrant 12" resonators - $100 ($50 ea)

Vibrant resonators install - $140ish after tax

Was talking about my whole set up
Old 04-19-2017, 06:15 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Ah yeah I see. I forgot that the Tanabes cost so much new. I only paid $350 shipped for mine from another forum member and installed it myself. So i'll only be at like $400ish after i either replace or remove the resonators.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 AM
qgoat
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A good start is to get the Vibrant 12" resonators. They add a very nice tone when paired with the Tanabes. Here is my sound clip:

https://*******/H5pP
That sounds amazing! Perfect combo.
James Harden (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 04:06 AM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
It is really nice looking, I will give it that. And ive had it for about 5-6 months now so its time to move on to something meaner.
You could just have a muffler shop do 2 1/4" piping from the cats back. That's what I have, plus Vibrants and Tanabes and I'm happy. That said, if I could start from scratch I'd do a FI with 2 1/2" piping and 12" resonators.
James Harden (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by the93owner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACYan9B4zYE
Originally Posted by Furlow
You could just have a muffler shop do 2 1/4" piping from the cats back. That's what I have, plus Vibrants and Tanabes and I'm happy. That said, if I could start from scratch I'd do a FI with 2 1/2" piping and 12" resonators.
Here was my version of a similar set-up with the Tanabe axle back. Unfortunately this set-up only had 12" resonators and was too loud for my tastes, so it's now just sitting in my garage collecting dust. If I had a do-over I would have used 18" resonators instead of 12" and that probably would have been better.

Incidentally, for anyone local in SoCal I'd be willing to sell this set-up pretty cheap just to get it out of my garage.

Name:  IMG_5207_zpsf3dldwmd.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  278.6 KB
Old 04-20-2017, 04:14 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Hey James. I was in the same boat as you. And same setup.I had the muffler delete and vibrants for less than 24hrs. It was pretty loud.I am currently running stock resonators and muffler delete,But I have been looking into going with 18" vibrants and a J pipe resonator to kill the drone.
I will keep you updated when i start this project.
James Harden (04-21-2017)

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread