G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 02:47 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Thats sound great hexotic. What did you have before?
Old 08-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Way to go, Hexotic! No drone, no rasp, just a deep, throaty purr. Perfect.

That topspeed sure seems like a bargain.

What are the specs off the OEM shorties? Cats, resonators, diameter, etc.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:36 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Before I just had stock exhaust with the K&N intakes. The intakes added a deep growl inside the car, but almost no difference outside. Stock the sedan is 2" and is tapered to 1.5" where it meets the muffler (unlike the coupe which sounds louder due to lack of that taper) top speed is 2.5 with 4" tips.
The following users liked this post:
guy from norcal (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 04:17 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
Before I just had stock exhaust with the K&N intakes. The intakes added a deep growl inside the car, but almost no difference outside. Stock the sedan is 2" and is tapered to 1.5" where it meets the muffler (unlike the coupe which sounds louder due to lack of that taper) top speed is 2.5 with 4" tips.
did you measure it? Their website says 60mm.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
did you measure it? Their website says 60mm.
That's true, it does.

Infiniti G35 G37 Sedan 07-14 Top Speed Pro-1 Y-pipe Back Exhaust System Bevel Edge Tips

Hexotic... OEM cats?
Old 08-29-2016, 06:21 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Oem cats and y pipe. 60 mm is 2.35" I did a super rough measurement eyeballing it. So yeah guess I was a tiny it off.

Last edited by hexotic; 09-13-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:21 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I finally made a decision (I know you all were holding your breath!) and went with the Tanabe Medallion. I know lots of people complain that it is barely above stock sounding but I am going to start with that, and add to it from there. As my previous post stated, I am not looking for anything too loud but just want a little increase in sound.

For those who have them, how many miles did yours take to notice it breaking in? Ive seen some say 1k miles and some much lower.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:46 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by James Harden
I finally made a decision (I know you all were holding your breath!) and went with the Tanabe Medallion. I know lots of people complain that it is barely above stock sounding but I am going to start with that, and add to it from there. As my previous post stated, I am not looking for anything too loud but just want a little increase in sound.

For those who have them, how many miles did yours take to notice it breaking in? Ive seen some say 1k miles and some much lower.
I give it six months before you add something lol.

It's all good, I was in your same boat. If I could go back, I'd do a full 2.5" FI catback with 12" resonators. But I understand your approach, as that's what I did.

I didn't notice any break in period. It didn't seem like it got any louder/deeper/better at all.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:09 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Furlow
I give it six months before you add something lol.

It's all good, I was in your same boat. If I could go back, I'd do a full 2.5" FI catback with 12" resonators. But I understand your approach, as that's what I did.

I didn't notice any break in period. It didn't seem like it got any louder/deeper/better at all.
Thanks for the response. I will add a video review once installed so if there is anyone else like me, they can hear and know what to expect. I am also pretty excited for just the actual looks of them. Should look way better than stock tips obviously.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Thanks for the response. I will add a video review once installed so if there is anyone else like me, they can hear and know what to expect. I am also pretty excited for just the actual looks of them. Should look way better than stock tips obviously.
Absolutely looks way better. They do stick out more than stock, so watch out for driveways as I scrape from time to time. Nothing you can see, as its underneath, but still not a fun sound to hear when you're in the car.

If you want an inexpensive add, replace the stock resonators with Vibrant resonators. That's a solid sound. I eliminated mine completely, although I get a bit of a rasp until the exhaust is fully warmed up.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:38 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts

It's weird.. i thought the "breaking in" was a load of BS since i thought it didn't make much sense to me at all, but mine is definitely louder now than when i put it in. I have a few thousand miles with it on now.

But i'll say this, it's still not loud enough. I'm still planning on removing the resonators and putting in some vibrants.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Initial B
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
to those with the HKS axle back and the rest of the exhaust stock...how much louder is the exhaust in the car with windows up?
Old 09-11-2016, 12:53 AM
Isitfast13

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its not loud but you definitely hear it
The following users liked this post:
Initial B (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Initial B
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks - I'm hoping it is pretty noticeable actually. I use the paddles a lot, and am looking to be able to hear the engine rpm at all times. Don't want drone when cruising on freeway, of course, but would be nice to know exactly what the engine's doing without looking at the tach
Old 09-11-2016, 08:52 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
It's weird.. i thought the "breaking in" was a load of BS since i thought it didn't make much sense to me at all, but mine is definitely louder now than when i put it in. I have a few thousand miles with it on now.

But i'll say this, it's still not loud enough. I'm still planning on removing the resonators and putting in some vibrants.
That's what I plan on doing, swapping out the stock resonators for shorter 12" vibrant resonators. Hope it doesn't add too much drone to the cabin, though. I want an extra punch but not enough to knock me out while driving

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread