The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 07:22 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Kali4nia
Hi there,

​​​Looks like you are following SCS custom cat back set-up. If so, kudos to you. I'm I. The process of doing the same, now waiting for delivery of my resonated x pipe/muffler and other parts. By the way is your car an awd? Keep us up to date on your progress and post some photos once you are done. Good luck!
​​​
I actually had basically the same setup on my coupe but it had the stock resonators still, and I kept finding myself wanting a little more volume so that’s why I went this setup on my sedan. I actually didn’t find SCS’s setup until I was deciding what resonators to get for the sedan. So in a way, ya I’m going somewhat with his setup. It sounds pretty dang good if I do say so myself. I thought it was too loud at first and one of my coworkers thought it sounded ricy but he is a GM V8 fanboy so anything less than 8 cylinders is rice to him anyway so I disregarded his comment. People on the road seem to enjoy it and I love the sound. I know I promised sound clips but I’m very busy with work, kids and just daily life so I hope soon I’ll get you guys some good clips.
Edit: Yes my sedan is AWD. Needed that for daily driver functionality. I prefer RWD but it’s not good for Indiana winters.

Last edited by BoomerSpeed01; 01-03-2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-20-2021, 01:57 AM
Kinger
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
custom exhaust setup

Good priced setup good sound.
12 inch res, custom mid pipe, Megan y pipe, beluga axleback
The following users liked this post:
Pato A. Vidal (04-22-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 01:51 PM
Kali4nia
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kinger
Good priced setup good sound.
12 inch res, custom mid pipe, Megan y pipe, beluga axleback
https://youtu.be/dGw_Jti4H54
Nice!

My G is the same color 😉. Where did you get the Beluga axle back? Was it a direct fit or did you need to do so e welding?
Old 01-20-2021, 07:48 PM
Kinger
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kali4nia
Nice!

My G is the same color 😉. Where did you get the Beluga axle back? Was it a direct fit or did you need to do so e welding?
I got it off of the beluga racing website it gives that deep tone that I haven't seen from any other axleback's last time I checked they were out of stock but I would definitely wait for them. They were a direct bolt on fitment was perfect little bit of bending, and sanding due to rust built up on stock mid pipe over time, but it is a direct fit. in this video I basically just got a custom exhaust shop to cut off the adapter piece of the axle back (so like that there is only 2.5 inch piping) and welded the axle back to the custom mid pipe. If you are planning on doing the work yourself and you got a little bit of rust down there, use a lot of wd40 made the job a lot easier lol
also link to the axleback sound with stock exhaust:
Old 02-24-2021, 08:15 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

2011 G37x Sedan Custom Exhaust Cold Start

Here's a cold start clip of my sedan. Got the exhaust done in October so it's definitely fully broken in now. Can't wait for warm weather, it's going to sound so good! The cold keeps the pipes from expanding as much so it dampens the sound.

NOTE: If you stick around for the end of the video, I do a closeup of the exhaust tips so you can really hear the idle sound. Once weather gets warmer I'll post a good rev video.

Last edited by BoomerSpeed01; 02-26-2021 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Adding a comment about video
Old 02-28-2021, 06:05 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Custom exhaust!

heres a video of my sedan with a custom exhaust.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:39 PM
gord27
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ww3-YxeNg
heres a video of my sedan with a custom exhaust.
I really like that sound. Would love a moving video if you have one.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:38 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gord27
I really like that sound. Would love a moving video if you have one.
thanks! I’ll see what I can do. I don’t have a go pro or anything so best I can probably do are some fly by’s.
its actually quite a bit louder in person than what comes through in video. It sounds epic in underpasses and tunnels lol
Old 03-02-2021, 09:08 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

thanks! I’ll see what I can do. I don’t have a go pro or anything so best I can probably do are some fly by’s.
its actually quite a bit louder in person than what comes through in video. It sounds epic in underpasses and tunnels lol
The only thing that bugs me about the sound, and this is with all VQ's, is that fluttery sound when it's idling down after a rev. It's mainly in the lower RPM's, and it kind of sounds like an exhaust leak, but it's just how it sounds for some reason.
I just find that kind of weird. I don't know any other car/engine that makes that noise.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:19 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts
The only thing that bugs me about the sound, and this is with all VQ's, is that fluttery sound when it's idling down after a rev. It's mainly in the lower RPM's, and it kind of sounds like an exhaust leak, but it's just how it sounds for some reason.
I just find that kind of weird. I don't know any other car/engine that makes that noise.
I think that mostly becomes apparent when you put on HFCs or test pipes. I think if you get resonated versions it can help with the hiss somewhat. Mine doesn't really have the hiss with RHFCs and Invidia Q300 because the chambered mufflers have a lot of silencing effects.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:20 AM
AScobi64
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Anybody try to achieve a custom Motordyne Shockwave sound yet? I'm thinking about having an exhaust shop do some custom work instead of dropping the 2k on a Motordyne. Looks like it's just a dual inlet, dual outlet with a single muffler and some tips really. Other than the relief chambers for drone.

Thoughts? Muffler suggestions?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:37 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AScobi64
Anybody try to achieve a custom Motordyne Shockwave sound yet? I'm thinking about having an exhaust shop do some custom work instead of dropping the 2k on a Motordyne. Looks like it's just a dual inlet, dual outlet with a single muffler and some tips really. Other than the relief chambers for drone.

Thoughts? Muffler suggestions?
They do the single muffler with dual in and dual out to save money because the muffler is basically a resonated X-pipe. I believe magnaflow makes one just like it for about $100 if I remember right.
I don't remember where it's at, but I remember seeing a thread on here where someone made some custom helmholtz resonators. Other than that I have no advice on those. I've never seen Motordyne or ARK disect one of theirs to show how they're constructed. Otherwise I would have made some and put them on my car already lol
I believe the motordyne systems also go from 2.5 up front and expand to 3" going out the rear.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:05 AM
AScobi64
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
They do the single muffler with dual in and dual out to save money because the muffler is basically a resonated X-pipe. I believe magnaflow makes one just like it for about $100 if I remember right.
I don't remember where it's at, but I remember seeing a thread on here where someone made some custom helmholtz resonators. Other than that I have no advice on those. I've never seen Motordyne or ARK disect one of theirs to show how they're constructed. Otherwise I would have made some and put them on my car already lol
I believe the motordyne systems also go from 2.5 up front and expand to 3" going out the rear.
Good thoughts. I'll do some more hunting. Thanks
Old 03-11-2021, 10:00 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by VQXauvas
I'm incredibly satisfied with the way the exhaust turned out. It has the slightest bit of drone about 2-3k but it's nowhere near unbearable.

Using the paddles is the only way i drive it anymore lol, that downshift coming to a stop is just orgasmic.

yup, stock cats. I have debated weather to get high flow cats but I don't want the exhaust to get any louder/raspier.

Well I finally need and exhaust and I moved to Charlotte. What is the name of the shop you got this done and how much was it?
Old 03-12-2021, 08:18 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dzionassi
Yes it sounds perfect for my taste, not too loud very refined. Since I am father of two, I dont have right to be youthful anymore hahah.
Some pics:

Not most best looking exhaust for sure, but fully functional and drone free.
Here's the post for the DIY helmholtz resonators. Actually wasn't that far up the thread. Pretty simple design if you have the means and the will to do it yourself.
Josh South (01-07-2023)

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread