G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 12:21 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by afrayedknot
I'm currently running a very similar set-up with FI RHFC, Megan Y, Top speed pro 1. Sounds great, albeit a faint metallic rasp at WOT. I heard another G with the same setup as me, except they had a motordyne XYZ resonated Y-pipe and that seemed to remove the rasp.
Wish that fit the AWD. Got a sound clip? I have my FI RHFC in the mail.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:47 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm currently running a very similar set-up with FI RHFC, Megan Y, Top speed pro 1. Sounds great, albeit a faint metallic rasp at WOT. I heard another G with the same setup as me, except they had a motordyne XYZ resonated Y-pipe and that seemed to remove the rasp.
VQ's love resonators. Either in-line or j-pipe or helmholtz resonators, they all do the trick. Just tame the rasp while leaving the iconic VQ sound and still very good volume.
The following users liked this post:
issa9002 (04-19-2021)
Old 10-13-2020, 09:49 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

I am getting a custom exhaust done this weekend. I'll be posting pictures and video clips here and on my own thread once it's complete. Should be pretty sweet. I want to get into it so badly but I don't want to ruin the surprise lol
Old 10-13-2020, 10:04 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I have some near the mid/axel too lol. Those are the ones I have extra straight pipes in titanium to replace. See here:

That is a very nice exhaust man. Like I said, it sounds great. Also, what gains did you get with the tune after doing the mods?
Old 10-13-2020, 05:09 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
Wish that fit the AWD. Got a sound clip? I have my FI RHFC in the mail.
There's actually an AWD version of it. Someone here on the forums has the setup, they actually bought it used from the classifieds section.
- here's a link to what it sounds like. (Starts to rev @ 8mins). Notice the metallic rasp sound when the revs peak. That's what I'm exhibiting with my set up.

Sound clip of my car?-none yet, but on the way.
The following 2 users liked this post by afrayedknot:
hexotic (10-14-2020), Pato A. Vidal (04-22-2021)
Old 10-13-2020, 08:43 PM
Simon SA
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone done a dual res setup and 2.5 inch exhaust all the way through?
Old 10-14-2020, 02:43 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
There's actually an AWD version of it. Someone here on the forums has the setup, they actually bought it used from the classifieds section.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1W39hMo4X8&t=506s - here's a link to what it sounds like. (Starts to rev @ 8mins). Notice the metallic rasp sound when the revs peak. That's what I'm exhibiting with my set up.

Sound clip of my car?-none yet, but on the way.
Hmm, that vid sounds really raspy lol.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:58 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Simon SA
has anyone done a dual res setup and 2.5 inch exhaust all the way through?
That's basically what I'm having done to mine this weekend. I had a similar setup on my coupe. Had stock resonators and Flowmaster FlowFX resonators where the muffler was.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:15 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
This isn't my car. Exhaust consists of 1320 test pipes, no name X pipe ($30) , no name 14" resonators, and no name mufflers. Custom 2.5'' piping throughout.

V36 sedan custom exhaust - YouTube
For being all "cheap" ebay parts, this sounds pretty darn good. Nothing to be ashamed of there. Balling on a budget is sometimes very rewarding when you can make something just as good as a very expensive system for very little $$ in comparison.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:57 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
As long as you don't mind putting the time in to see what works it can be rewarding. I Frankensteined mine together and it's exactly what I was looking for. Took three tries to get there but we got there for about $800-900.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:02 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LunatheG
Anyone here running resonated testpipes w/ aftermarket ypipe, stock mid-pipe, and muffler delete? Thanks!
Did you end up doing this setup? I would think it should sound pretty darn good! Normal muffler deletes on sedans are too tame for my taste. You getting test pipes and y-pipe should really sharpen the tone of the exhaust.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:02 AM
Carboy37
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I started my exhaust journey 2 years ago with the proven Vibrant 1790 and Tanabe Axle-Back combo which achieved the throatiness that I wanted. Since then, I installed my ISR Resonated Test Pipes to replaced my bad cats which definitely enhanced volume, but introduces opportunity to reduce rasp and lower pitch due to the stock Y-pipe and shorter resonators. It sounds greater than when I started, but I'm definitely looking to deepen the sound without drone.

I don't want to pour more money into my car, so I want to keep my axle-backs.

Options I'm considering:

1) Custom 2.5 inch Y-pipe - match the outlet of the test pipes with the inlet of the midpipe. This would somewhat resemble the Stillen Exhaust setup and allow for a smooth transition into the 2.25 in mid-pipe and axle back. However, it may still rasp due to the 1790 resonators.
2) Custom Resonated X-pipe: Maintain a 2.5 in diameter throughout the system until axle-backs. A reducer would probably be needed and some accommodation would be needed to not alter the axle-back mounting. This is most likely to reduce rasp, but cannot be reverted to OEMish without full catback.
3) Custom X-pipe: Link the cat to mid-pipe and figure out how to reduce from 2.5 to 2.25. May drone and may look too "frankenstein'ed." cannot be reverted to OEMish without full catback.

What are your thoughts or opinions?
Old 12-03-2020, 09:08 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Carboy37
I started my exhaust journey 2 years ago with the proven Vibrant 1790 and Tanabe Axle-Back combo which achieved the throatiness that I wanted. Since then, I installed my ISR Resonated Test Pipes to replaced my bad cats which definitely enhanced volume, but introduces opportunity to reduce rasp and lower pitch due to the stock Y-pipe and shorter resonators. It sounds greater than when I started, but I'm definitely looking to deepen the sound without drone.

I don't want to pour more money into my car, so I want to keep my axle-backs.

Options I'm considering:

1) Custom 2.5 inch Y-pipe - match the outlet of the test pipes with the inlet of the midpipe. This would somewhat resemble the Stillen Exhaust setup and allow for a smooth transition into the 2.25 in mid-pipe and axle back. However, it may still rasp due to the 1790 resonators.
2) Custom Resonated X-pipe: Maintain a 2.5 in diameter throughout the system until axle-backs. A reducer would probably be needed and some accommodation would be needed to not alter the axle-back mounting. This is most likely to reduce rasp, but cannot be reverted to OEMish without full catback.
3) Custom X-pipe: Link the cat to mid-pipe and figure out how to reduce from 2.5 to 2.25. May drone and may look too "frankenstein'ed." cannot be reverted to OEMish without full catback.

What are your thoughts or opinions?
The fact that your axleback is still 2.25" is going to raise your pitch back up even if you run 2.5" up to it. Both times I've had my exhaust done on my G's, I started with changing the axleback diameter to 2.5" and that alone made the exhaust note noticably deeper, even though the rest up to it was just 2.25. You may not want to dump more money into it, but changing your axleback to 2.5" is still your best option. You could have a custom shop cut out your mufflers/resonators and tips from your axleback and make the rest of the pipe 2.5 so you keep the majority of the money's worth from your purchase. The guy I go to is very good and his custom work looks 90% as good as any manufactured system you can buy at about 1/4 of the price. You might not want to frankenstein it, but that's your best option in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Carboy37 (12-03-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 12:16 AM
Meeners
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I joined this forum specifically for this thread.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:02 PM
Kali4nia
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
That's basically what I'm having done to mine this weekend. I had a similar setup on my coupe. Had stock resonators and Flowmaster FlowFX resonators where the muffler was.
Hi there,

​​​Looks like you are following SCS custom cat back set-up. If so, kudos to you. I'm I. The process of doing the same, now waiting for delivery of my resonated x pipe/muffler and other parts. By the way is your car an awd? Keep us up to date on your progress and post some photos once you are done. Good luck!
​​​

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread