G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorg37xs
I see! Did you get the sound you were looking for? So where exactly are all your resonators now?
Yes it sounds perfect for my taste, not too loud very refined. Since I am father of two, I dont have right to be youthful anymore hahah.
Some pics:

Not most best looking exhaust for sure, but fully functional and drone free.
The following users liked this post:
Meeners (12-11-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:46 PM
doctorg37xs
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dzionassi
Yes it sounds perfect for my taste, not too loud very refined. Since I am father of two, I dont have right to be youthful anymore hahah.

Some pics:

Not most best looking exhaust for sure, but fully functional and drone free.
Wow, that’s impressive. I’m also a father (of one, soon to be two), so I get it!

Did you add the resonators in phases or did you do the 1792, extra ultra quiet and Helmholtz resonators all at the same time? Did you truly need the Helmholtz?

I don’t think I want to add that many resonators, but I’m intrigued about the order that you did it in. Also, why did you choose to place the 1792 resonators on the y pipe after the cats versus later on the mid pipe after the Tanabe resonators?

I’ve been thinking about either doing what you did (adding just one ultra quiet in series after the large resonator that comes with the motordyne XYZ pipe) or adding two ultra quiets after the tanabe resonators.

Seeing as how you kept adding more and more I’m wondering if my ideas won’t make the drone go away.

Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2020, 10:15 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorg37xs
Wow, that’s impressive. I’m also a father (of one, soon to be two), so I get it!

Did you add the resonators in phases or did you do the 1792, extra ultra quiet and Helmholtz resonators all at the same time?

I don’t think I want to add that many resonators but I’m intrigued about the order that you did it in. Also, why did you choose to place the 1792 resonators on the y pipe after the cats versus later on the mid pipe after the Tanabe resonators?

I’ve been thinking about either doing what you did (adding just one ultra quiet in series after the large resonator that comes with the motordyne XYZ pipe) or adding two ultra quiets after the tanabe resonators.

Seeing as how you kept adding more and more I’m wondering if my ideas won’t make the drone go away.

Thoughts?
Everything was done in steps;
1792 was placed as close as possible to cats to remove rasp ( resonators have greater effect if they are placed closer to engine) .
Ultra-Quiet made exhaust quieter and cut drone in half.
2nd Ultra-Quiet did not made much difference in regards drone but reduced exhaust volume, by not much (If i would have to do it again, i would not add 2nd Ultra-Quiet).
Helmholtz eliminated drone cut some other sound frequencies, Under 3k rpms it is really quiet exhaust.

You can remove center flange and add Ultra-Quiet or you can add Ultra-Quiet right after flange, there is enough room. I would not touch anything at mid pipe fork. FYI next time when you weld, buy 304 piping, these will rust in 2-3 years exposed to MA harsh winters.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:53 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Motordyne catback with ISR longtube headers

Pato A. Vidal (04-22-2021)
Old 09-14-2020, 09:04 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Well, that truly sounds amazing.
PNW_IPL (09-16-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 10:42 AM
Abmhos
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dzionassi
Everything was done in steps;
1792 was placed as close as possible to cats to remove rasp ( resonators have greater effect if they are placed closer to engine) .
Ultra-Quiet made exhaust quieter and cut drone in half.
2nd Ultra-Quiet did not made much difference in regards drone but reduced exhaust volume, by not much (If i would have to do it again, i would not add 2nd Ultra-Quiet).
Helmholtz eliminated drone cut some other sound frequencies, Under 3k rpms it is really quiet exhaust.

You can remove center flange and add Ultra-Quiet or you can add Ultra-Quiet right after flange, there is enough room. I would not touch anything at mid pipe fork. FYI next time when you weld, buy 304 piping, these will rust in 2-3 years exposed to MA harsh winters.
Just looking for general knowledge from someone with experience on this exhaust system.... Do you think i could get away with fitting a 11386 magnaflow x pipe where the y pipe is on my g37x sedan? I am keeping the oem 18" mid pipe resonators but want to get that extra "muffler" up front i believe it would help with rasp from resonated test pipes aswell it would bring my exhaust to true dual so win win right?
Old 09-16-2020, 07:38 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Abmhos
Just looking for general knowledge from someone with experience on this exhaust system.... Do you think i could get away with fitting a 11386 magnaflow x pipe where the y pipe is on my g37x sedan? I am keeping the oem 18" mid pipe resonators but want to get that extra "muffler" up front i believe it would help with rasp from resonated test pipes aswell it would bring my exhaust to true dual so win win right?
Yes -- This is a popular choice among those who go the custom.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:17 AM
Abmhos
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Yes -- This is a popular choice among those who go the custom.
I was more worried about fitment issues like the muffler being too awkward to fit in that area under the transmission or not having enough space in general but looking at pictures of the y pipe it looks to be a pretty long piece and the muffler itself is a length of 24 inches so i believe i can make it happen... i hope.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:47 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Popular spot is where all the legs of the 'Y' come together.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:00 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
This is by far one of the best sounding exhausts I have heard on a V36 sedan... Custom true dual/resonator delete, and Magnaflow mufflers.

Custom Magnaflow G37 Exhaust
The exhaust tone is so deep!! Are there more pics/clips of this car? I'm interested to hear more and I plan to paint my wheels just like he did. Not many sedans have these wheels so it's very hard to find other examples with them painted.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:11 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ToXIc
some very up close video/audio with an external mic. headphones recommended. FI RHFC and MotorDyne E370

https://youtu.be/yxm7U902KzM
Is this your car and youtube channel?
Old 09-25-2020, 08:19 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I wasn't intending this for sound but since I haven't made a sound video for my new setup yet this will have to do.

ebay headers, thaitanium test pipes, and thaitanium hvr. I might take the rear resonators off since it has resonators on the test pipes as well as the ypipes and seems like over kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ePB0KZTJ0
Sounds pretty nice! I would keep the resonators on your test pipes and just remove the ones on the Y. Much easier to get to and should be cheaper.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:50 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 243 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
Sounds pretty nice! I would keep the resonators on your test pipes and just remove the ones on the Y. Much easier to get to and should be cheaper.
I have some near the mid/axel too lol. Those are the ones I have extra straight pipes in titanium to replace. See here:

The Sedan Exhaust Thread-kgnyst9h.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by SupraOfDoom:
backman_66 (10-07-2020), Lynn49 (09-30-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 10:11 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Megan Y-Pipe added to the Top Speed Exhaust. FI Cats cant get here any sooner! The hissing is wind and cellphone mic, 0 exhaust leaks.
Pato A. Vidal (04-22-2021)
Old 10-12-2020, 10:57 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
Megan Y-Pipe added to the Top Speed Exhaust. FI Cats cant get here any sooner! The hissing is wind and cellphone mic, 0 exhaust leaks.
I'm currently running a very similar set-up with FI RHFC, Megan Y, Top speed pro 1. Sounds great, albeit a faint metallic rasp at WOT. I heard another G with the same setup as me, except they had a motordyne XYZ resonated Y-pipe and that seemed to remove the rasp.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread