G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 12:54 PM
KImChee
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
I got my Vibrant Resonators installed today, and had the shop bend up some pipes after the resonators for custom midpipe since there aren’t really any options for the sedan. I already had the Tanabe Medallions and wanted to increase the sound, and it’s perfect, no drone, still quiet in the cabin, and gets louder when you get on it, but nothing too obnoxious.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:46 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, after a lot of researching, a lot of thinking, and some amazing help from some members, I made a decision today, and now the long waiting game begins.

I ordered through Next Level Performance after seeing some great reviews on them, and the fact that they have an awesome 5% discount code that worked on the Fast Intentions catback. It is going to be a LONG 4-8 weeks!

Old 05-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
It's been 5 years since buying a FI catback, and I have to say I still remember unboxing that delivery, and laying the exhaust out on my living room floor. It was a solid, content moment, admiring the craftsmanship and clearly seeing the vision of that exhaust installed on my car.

Well worth $1,539.75. No regrets. Actually, I paid $1,580. Wait...
Old 05-14-2020, 04:13 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Got my order update today from Next Level saying my estimated ship date from FI is Mid July, but possibly sooner. Hopefully sooner happens! I cannot wait to get this Megan Y-pipe and oem Midpipe and axle back off
Old 05-15-2020, 02:47 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by jfridge92
Got my order update today from Next Level saying my estimated ship date from FI is Mid July, but possibly sooner. Hopefully sooner happens! I cannot wait to get this Megan Y-pipe and oem Midpipe and axle back off
@jfridge92 on delivery day :
Old 07-23-2020, 12:11 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

On a scale of 1 to impatient, I am TRYING to stay patient while waiting for my exhaust! FI's estimated ship date passed last week, but I know that they may be a bit backed up right now. I'm sure they got a ton of orders during COVID as we all have a lot of down time with our cars. I'm hoping to get that shipment notification from Next Level any day now. They're customer service has been great though, I emailed last week asking if they had an update and got a same day response back, so that's always encouraging! The waiting game absolutely sucks though, I am tired of this raspy Megan Y pipe and am ready to get it off lol!

On another note, is anyone running Z1 HFC's with a FI catback with 18" resonators? I'm wondering if there's still a lot of rasp in this setup from the Z1 cats.

Edit: just got this email! I guess my post made the car gods happy!

Last edited by jfridge92; 07-23-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:19 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

I'm in the middle of getting my Fast Intentions catback installed right now! I should hopefully have sound clips later today or tomorrow once I can edit the video (combining the exhaust vid of the Z1 HFC, Megan Y pipe, and OEM Y-back for comparison to the FI exhaust). I am SO excited to hear this thing!
Old 07-30-2020, 12:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
LOL, drink it in and enjoy it, buddy.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:37 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

OH.MY.GOD. SO GOOD!

Okay, so I'll say, when I fired it up for the first time on jackstands, I immediately got that involuntary grin on my face. It sounds SO good. And then I immediately got a text from my wife with an angry emoji because the cold start set off the alarm on our nanny cam hahaha. Oops.

The best thing is that the rasp I was getting between 2,500 and 3,500rpm are completely gone now, so the Z1 cats were not to blame for that. I'm thinking that was mainly from the mismatched pipe diameter between the Megan y pipe and the OEM y back.

Under light throttle, Rochester was spot on in a PM to me saying that you'll blend right in with traffic. Slightly boomier in the lower RPM range, but volume is pretty subtle when the car is warmed up. Under WOT, it's definitely louder, but I was honestly setting my "worst case scenario" for volume a little bit higher. I definitely won't be flooring it in front of cops any time soon, but I don't think this exhaust is instant ticket bait.

So far I have a cold start video that I'll get up soon, as well as a light blip of the throttle when the car is warm. I started to record a warm rev video in the garage, but after that quick blip, I decided not to be that a**hole to the neighbors because it definitely isn't a quiet exhaust. I am in love so far! Videos will be up soon.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:10 PM
Oocphil
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan y pipe

id stay away from the Megan y pipe. Won’t last more than a year

Originally Posted by jfridge92
OH.MY.GOD. SO GOOD!

Okay, so I'll say, when I fired it up for the first time on jackstands, I immediately got that involuntary grin on my face. It sounds SO good. And then I immediately got a text from my wife with an angry emoji because the cold start set off the alarm on our nanny cam hahaha. Oops.

The best thing is that the rasp I was getting between 2,500 and 3,500rpm are completely gone now, so the Z1 cats were not to blame for that. I'm thinking that was mainly from the mismatched pipe diameter between the Megan y pipe and the OEM y back.

Under light throttle, Rochester was spot on in a PM to me saying that you'll blend right in with traffic. Slightly boomier in the lower RPM range, but volume is pretty subtle when the car is warmed up. Under WOT, it's definitely louder, but I was honestly setting my "worst case scenario" for volume a little bit higher. I definitely won't be flooring it in front of cops any time soon, but I don't think this exhaust is instant ticket bait.

So far I have a cold start video that I'll get up soon, as well as a light blip of the throttle when the car is warm. I started to record a warm rev video in the garage, but after that quick blip, I decided not to be that a**hole to the neighbors because it definitely isn't a quiet exhaust. I am in love so far! Videos will be up soon.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:54 AM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Oocphil
I can't attest to the longevity as I only ran it for 4000 miles, but I wouldn't be surprised if the flex pipes deteriorate quickly on them. The welds seemed decent on the one I got. That being said, a $150 megan y is no where near the quality of my FI catback. That thing is a work of art.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:10 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Oocphil
​​​​​​​Don't know what happened to you, but I have 4 close friends all running Megan Y pipes. All cars are winter driven. All in great shape. One guy already has 60k km on his. Of course you can't compare it to FI, but to say stay away based on one data point is a bit harsh.

Last edited by hexotic; 07-31-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:14 AM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hexotic
Don't know what happened to you, but I have 4 close friends all running Megan Y pipes. All cars are winter driven. All in great shape. One guy already has 60k km on his. Of course you can't compare it to FI, but to say stay away based on one data point is a bit harsh.
I'll agree with this too. I didn't run mine long enough to pass a judgement on it's longevity. The only reason I really didn't like it wasn't the fault of the Y-pipe, more the mismatch in pipe diameter with the OEM Y-back.

Day 2 with the Fast Intentions, and it's starting to grow on the wife. She said, and I quote, "I guess it doesn't sound that bad, it doesn't make your car sound like you just bought an exhaust from Autozone." I guess that's a good compliment? She's not a car person at all, so it's a start.

My toddler loves it so far. This morning on the way to daycare, I gave it maybe 1/4 throttle, and all I heard from the back seat was "VRoom daddy!" so that's definitely the reaction I wanted.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:48 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
Thats awesome haha. Good they're accepting it.
NOW STOP ORDERING FI STUFF! My RHFC order is taking too long hahahahaha. I'm told 12 weeks
I may have to hold off installing them this year, or just run my rich tune. After z1 Intakes, my AFR is already borderline.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:40 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Sorry for the delay, I haven't had a chance to make a proper exhaust video of the catback yet. Every day when I've gotten off of work it has been pouring rain, so as soon as I get a clear day, I'll get a proper video shot.

I've put about 500 miles on the catback so far, and it's deepened up just a little, and has actually gotten slightly quieter under light throttle. What's very interesting to me is that it's actually louder under about 50% throttle than it is under wide open throttle! I've had about 4 police behind me with it so far, and none have pulled me over yet, so I'd say it's definitely not ticket bait if you aren't being a complete tool.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread