G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:22 AM
markyo0o

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I've seen mentions of poor welds that lead to numerous exhaust leaks when it comes to the Manzo.

I went with a TopSpeed Y-back and while the welds and fitment are fine, the surface rust that accumulates is crazy. Requires a wash and polish every 2 weeks but if you don't stay on top of it, your exhaust tips will look awful.
I've noticed this as well with my Topspeed Y-Back. The finish on it is almost all black/rusted looking and I haven't even had it on for a year.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
The finish on my 4-year old Fast Intentions cans & tips is great. I clean them with every hand wash, and polish them twice a year.

This is a northeast car driven in the winter, (although not often.)

Just saying... for context. Sometimes you actually do get what you pay for. Here's an old pic from the install:

The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
markyo0o (04-16-2019), SupraOfDoom (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 09:33 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 243 Likes on 167 Posts
Looks nice! And hey our "Thanks" button is now a like button. I "like" that a lot more.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
Looks nice! And hey our "Thanks" button is now a like button. I "like" that a lot more.
Thanks. (no pun) Now that Springtime is almost here, time to get the back end up on ramps and clean the cans again. I'll have to remember that this weekend.

I noticed that a few days ago, too, about the buttons. The word "like" is more in keeping with how it's used than "thanks".
Old 04-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Kriskringle
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
lol read through this entire thread, do I get a sticker now lol. Lots of good info thanks to all who have shared, went with a Tanabe axle back for my x. I know I know super quiet, just not sure I want louder as of now and if so ill change the resonators down the road.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:14 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Kriskringle
lol read through this entire thread, do I get a sticker now lol. Lots of good info thanks to all who have shared, went with a Tanabe axle back for my x. I know I know super quiet, just not sure I want louder as of now and if so ill change the resonators down the road.
Hey, just giving my 2 cents. I have a 2013 g37x sedan n at 1 point i had tanabe axleback n while it sounded nice I wanted a little more n if your in or happen to fall into that mode then all you need are 2 12in vibrant resonators n you'll be all set, perfect if you want a little extra but nothing that the misses wouldn't approve of. If you do a quick search you find it instantly. Enjoy.

Last edited by Redgoyabean; 04-17-2019 at 10:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kriskringle (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Kriskringle
Registered Member

ok just some feedback on the Tanabe axle-back everyone says it is quiet, oh man is it quiet I wish I would have metered the before and after interior noise levels it's basically unnoticeable that's good and bad. It's good in retaining the luxury car quiet and happy wife happy life. Bad when you want to hear it scream, did I mention it's quiet lol. It is deeper outside and my wife said she could hear me all the way down the street lol we shall see I will have her take it out tonight and listen from the outside. But none of this is new information. its been expressed a million times on The Tanabe axle-back.
What I always wondered and will answer now, the Tanabe is indeed a straight through turbo style muffler which is dang impressive it's so quiet for being a straight through no chamber no restrictive muffler (also known as reactive or OEM muffler). really impressive I'm sure if you flow tested these they'd flow well, so anyone curious on Tanabe can now know they are indeed straight through, the core is punched also not louvers. Weight wise was my other question and the Tanabe axle-back is about 1.6 lbs heavier than the stock axle-back per side. Anyways I figured id share my .02
Old 04-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
It is not quiet with my setup. If you will bolt it up to stock exhaust it will be quiet, but when paired with bigger piping it will be really loud....

ok just some feedback on the Tanabe axle-back everyone says it is quiet, oh man is it quiet I wish I would have metered the before and after interior noise levels it's basically unnoticeable that's good and bad. It's good in retaining the luxury car quiet and happy wife happy life. Bad when you want to hear it scream, did I mention it's quiet lol. It is deeper outside and my wife said she could hear me all the way down the street lol we shall see I will have her take it out tonight and listen from the outside. But none of this is new information. its been expressed a million times on The Tanabe axle-back.
What I always wondered and will answer now, the Tanabe is indeed a straight through turbo style muffler which is dang impressive it's so quiet for being a straight through no chamber no restrictive muffler (also known as reactive or OEM muffler). really impressive I'm sure if you flow tested these they'd flow well, so anyone curious on Tanabe can now know they are indeed straight through, the core is punched also not louvers. Weight wise was my other question and the Tanabe axle-back is about 1.6 lbs heavier than the stock axle-back per side. Anyways I figured id share my .02
The following users liked this post:
Kriskringle (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:26 PM
Kriskringle
Registered Member

yeah, that's why I ultimately decided on it. Right now with my warranty easily reversible but I can easily bring the sound up when I'm ready in the future. It's a good foundation to start the exhaust system.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
yeah, that's why I ultimately decided on it. Right now with my warranty easily reversible but I can easily bring the sound up when I'm ready in the future. It's a good foundation to start the exhaust system.
12in vibrant resonators will give just a lil more growl sound we all love from the VQ but still very quite n also super cheap.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:08 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Yeah, you can definitely make the Tanabe really loud if you want to. Years ago I got the same idea to chop up my Tanabe axle back and combine it with an Invidia x-Pipe and resonators and it ended up being way louder than I expected and too loud for me (and my wife) to enjoy the car. So I ended up selling that set-up and just adding a Tanabe Y-Pipe to the Tanabe axle back while still retaining the factory resonated section. I've been running this set up for several years and am very happy with it.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

How do you like your rear Custco brace? The one in between rear wheels

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Yeah, you can definitely make the Tanabe really loud if you want to. Years ago I got the same idea to chop up my Tanabe axle back and combine it with an Invidia x-Pipe and resonators and it ended up being way louder than I expected and too loud for me (and my wife) to enjoy the car. So I ended up selling that set-up and just adding a Tanabe Y-Pipe to the Tanabe axle back while still retaining the factory resonated section. I've been running this set up for several years and am very happy with it.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dzionassi
How do you like your rear Custco brace? The one in between rear wheels
Look at the cross-member... pretty sure that's a GT-Spec brace. Winner get's a 6-pack.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:47 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Look at the cross-member... pretty sure that's a GT-Spec brace. Winner get's a 6-pack.
My work monitors sucks. You are the winner, I guess, this time,. hahah
Old 04-27-2019, 03:42 PM
monteatnrice
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch, got me a set of res test pipes on order with fast intentions
I would reach out to them and see if able to replace since you only had a few weeks

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread