G37 Sedan

Pet peeve: No, you're not faster with VSC off

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Pet peeve: No, you're not faster with VSC off

So, the Dunning Kruger Effect is a cognitive bias that makes us all think we are Mario Andretti until we slide sideways into a bridge abutment. I was just having this argument with a friend who swore his BMW was way faster with the VSC off. Found this great article explaing why everyone who thinks this is wrong.

http://www.racedepartment.com/thread...-a-lie.103774/

My first car, the car i learned to drive on, was RWD with an open diff and had no TC, no VSC, no ABS. I learned to drive quite well. The road, however, is not the track and even the most skilled drivers can not react faster than a computer. Modern cars and modern technology are wonderful. Leave it turned on. It's not making you slower, just safer
The following 2 users liked this post by Victory:
dbeachy1 (04-01-2016), iCrap (04-02-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 11:05 AM
813G37S

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good read.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:46 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
my only instrumented proof of VSC slowing things down was at the track in my previous G35. with VSC on, any launch wheelspin - a small amount makes for best launch - triggered the traction control which clamps down on the rear brakes. so i would bog down for a second or so. by that point the run is over. with VSC off this was not a problem and optimal times for my ability, the track, temps and car setup could be had.

in general for the street i agree that VSC should remain on. i switch it off occasionally, but that is not to make the car faster. rather it is to have a bit of 'sensible' fun with rear-steer or if i am out and about in snow (which is rare). try to get moving or get unstuck in the snow with VSC on. it ain't happening with RWD so VSC off is a must.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
my only instrumented proof of VSC slowing things down was at the track in my previous G35. with VSC on, any launch wheelspin - a small amount makes for best launch - triggered the traction control which clamps down on the rear brakes. so i would bog down for a second or so. by that point the run is over. with VSC off this was not a problem and optimal times for my ability, the track, temps and car setup could be had.
I didnt own a 35, but ive heared the vsc in the 37 is better and less obtrusivr. On some older cars ive definitely found it bothersome.

Considering that launch control is just an evolution of the same system, it all comes down to the software.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:30 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Ive owned both a 35 and a couple 37s. The 35 was indeed faster with VDC off as the VDC was hyper-intrusive.. But also less safe VDC off as the 35 was more tail happy than the 37. There was a tradeoff
The 37 is MUCH less intrusive and actually lets you play (safely) a little in corners and making you think you're a great driver- all the while the VDC is really whats in control.

So indeed in the 37 on the street VDC ON is best. At the track its largely up to the driver. But even then VDC doesn't intrude much at all.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (04-02-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 04:40 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I don't find the VDC at all intrusive. It even seems to allow a good bit of wheel spin as long as the car is going straight.

I've never turned it off.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:48 PM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I really hate the VDC and found it so annoying that I unplugged my yaw sensor at least 2 years ago to completely disable it. Even with VDC disabled with the button, the stability control can still kick in. It commonly did it when I was making a turn out of my neighborhood where the road isn't level. The combination of a sharp turn and the uneven road would make the VDC light flash and cut power even with the VDC disabled.

With the yaw sensor unplugged, traction control and stability control are both disabled.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:30 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Hanging the tail out is NEVER faster.... but it is FUNNER!!
(Is funner a real word?)

The VDC on the G37 Sport is VERY good. It never kicks in too early or too late.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Sometimes I find that leaving the VDC on leaves me in sketchy potentially dangerous situations. I've had instances where I've had to move quick to avoid a collision and the VDC had cut power leaving me unable to move forward for a split second. I shut it off now entering the highway so I don't experience any power cuts getting up to speed. I have a 6MT so I don't know how that factors in but it's real easy to get the rear tires to slip and I have 275s in the rear.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:44 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 35Sport
Sometimes I find that leaving the VDC on leaves me in sketchy potentially dangerous situations. I've had instances where I've had to move quick to avoid a collision and the VDC had cut power leaving me unable to move forward for a split second. I shut it off now entering the highway so I don't experience any power cuts getting up to speed. I have a 6MT so I don't know how that factors in but it's real easy to get the rear tires to slip and I have 275s in the rear.
What kind of tires do you have?

My 6MT with 275/35/19 rears has tons of grip
Old 04-02-2016, 12:07 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
VDC only kicks in when there is tire spin.
On dry pavement, I can't spin my all 245 all-season rear tires in any gear under full throttle.

35 Sport: Your rear tires may be too old.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:14 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Awesome read man thanks!
Old 04-02-2016, 12:35 AM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
What kind of tires do you have?

My 6MT with 275/35/19 rears has tons of grip
Bridgestone RE760 Sports, they're a year old.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
That article specifically addresses traction control on a course track. And the video therein is about driving on/off with TC on snow and ice. In both of those situations, conventional wisdom is pretty straight-forward... leave TC on.

However, while I've never taken my G to a course track, I have auto-crossed the car a few times. And although my auto-cross skills are somewhere between awful and embarrassing, it is absolutely a stone-cold fact that you get faster times on an Auto-Cross course with the TC off.

Also, if you want to launch your car out of the hole in the most neck-breaking manner possible, you turn TC off for that too. At least, that's the case with my RWD 6MT with VLSD, some basic suspension mods and Michelin PSS. I can't speak for stock, AWD G's.

In a perfect world where fun is #1, the TC button would be at the top of the shift ****, and respond instantly.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-02-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:20 AM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That article specifically addresses traction control on a course track. And the video therein is about driving on/off with TC on snow and ice. In both of those situations, conventional wisdom is pretty straight-forward... leave TC on.

However, while I've never taken my G to a course track, I have auto-crossed the car a few times. And although my auto-cross skills are somewhere between awful and embarrassing, it is absolutely a stone-cold fact that you get faster times on an Auto-Cross course with the TC off.

Also, if you want to launch your car out of the hole in the most neck-breaking manner possible, you turn TC off for that too. At least, that's the case with my RWD 6MT with VLSD, some basic suspension mods and Michelin PSS. I can't speak for stock, AWD G's.

In a perfect world where fun is #1, the TC button would be at the top of the shift ****, and respond instantly.
^^^^^
I am going to agree 100% with this...(minus the stupid Rockford files pic)

So in all honesty OP both you AND your friend are correct - it really is dependent on the application.

Quick Reply: Pet peeve: No, you're not faster with VSC off