G37 Sedan

Pet peeve: No, you're not faster with VSC off

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 05:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I did not realize that some old cars had "parking brakes/emergency brakes" that would actually engage the rear calipers. I can see how that would stop a lot better, but also how easily it could stick.

Now Lego and Rochester- let me see if I can mend some fences so you guys can kiss and make up.

Lego- I see what you are saying about a parking brake not being able to slow you down very quickly so it would be pointless to use if you are way over the speed limit. Even more so if you have a car with DRL's since they usually go off when you pull the parking brake (making it obvious). However, if you are just a bit over the speed limit and you see a part of the cop car before they can see you, the parking brake is a less obvious way to scrub some speed.

Rochester- I think what Lego is saying is that in most instances if you are speeding and you see a cop you only have a split second to slow down and using the full force of the brakes will scrub more speed than using an e-brake or parking brake.

There, now you two go get a beer and shake hands.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Rochester- I think what Lego is saying is that in most instances if you are speeding and you see a cop you only have a split second to slow down and using the full force of the brakes will scrub more speed than using an e-brake or parking brake.

There, now you two go get a beer and shake hands.
With an E-Brake handle sitting there immediately available to your right hand, not a lame P-Brake like we have... but a proper E-Brake, like we don't have, then slowing the car down without taking a nose dive or lighting up the rear tails makes you less suspicious than the cars around you all demonstrating exactly the guilty behavior you're trying to avoid.

That's all I was saying, and I said it ad nauseum. It was getting downright repetitive. Everything else was Lego demonstrating a lack of knowledge about his car's P-Brake, and an obstinate unwillingness to extract his foot from his mouth.

But to your point, Lego is still in my Friends list. I see no reason to change that.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:52 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
the nose dive / rear tails thing is a bit pointless anyways if you think about it.

If the cop is in front of you, parked at the side of the road with his radar gun he can't see your tails anyways. And if he has already gotten a lock on you then the nose dive won't matter - you are already getting a ticket.

Also, if it was an e-brake. Wouldn't jamming it on lock up the rear wheels?

Anyways I want a proper e-brake to do some mad skids lol.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by iCrap
the nose dive / rear tails thing is a bit pointless anyways if you think about it.

If the cop is in front of you, parked at the side of the road with his radar gun he can't see your tails anyways. And if he has already gotten a lock on you then the nose dive won't matter - you are already getting a ticket.

Also, if it was an e-brake. Wouldn't jamming it on lock up the rear wheels?

Anyways I want a proper e-brake to do some mad skids lol.
Brake lights are very bright, by design. Because they're brake lights.

If you're nailed by a radar gun and it's obviously you, you're screwed no matter what pointless psych games are running around in your head. But if you're in a field of cars, wouldn't you like to not be the first one the cop looks at?

And just like your brake pedal, the manual emergency brake will only have as much force as you apply.

Yes, iCrap, I want an e-brake too, but you already know that.

You guys are killing me here, LOL. Starting to feel trolled...
Old 04-04-2016, 06:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
What's needed is a tail light toggle switch and line lock to prevent front brake actuation. See cop, apply brakes, no tail lights or nose dive. Problem solved.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jsolo
What's needed is a tail light toggle switch and line lock to prevent front brake actuation. See cop, apply brakes, no tail lights or nose dive. Problem solved.
Haha, maybe. Although throwing that toggle switch *and* applying the brakes seems like an awful lot of things to do at once. I'm pretty sure I don't have the skills or presence of mind to pull that off.

You know, when I was a kid, I had my back-up lights wired to a toggle switch, occasionally used on tailgaters. It was pretty darn effective. Probably illegal, too. IDK.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:11 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Don't drive a car that screams for attention and cops are more likely to not even pull you over. Part of the reason I went with a boring gun metal color. It looks just like every other car out there.

I like your brake light idea. A virtual brake check of sorts.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:42 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
With an E-Brake handle sitting there immediately available to your right hand, not a lame P-Brake like we have... but a proper E-Brake, like we don't have, then slowing the car down without taking a nose dive or lighting up the rear tails makes you less suspicious than the cars around you all demonstrating exactly the guilty behavior you're trying to avoid.

That's all I was saying, and I said it ad nauseum. It was getting downright repetitive. Everything else was Lego demonstrating a lack of knowledge about his car's P-Brake, and an obstinate unwillingness to extract his foot from his mouth.

But to your point, Lego is still in my Friends list. I see no reason to change that.
You just have to have the last, last, word, don't you? Either a snide comment or a stupid picture

You're wrong, John. And it got repetitive because you refuse to accept that you're wrong and continue to cling to a belief that yanking on the parking brake is an effective way of slowing down to avoid a ticket.

First, if you can't slow your car with the hydraulic brakes a couple miles per hour without nose diving the car, then you fail at driving.

Second, a cable compressing the piston does not make it an emergency brake. It's a parking brake. That is the intention of the design. The terms are incorrectly interchanged, just like you are doing.

Factory Service Manuals for the cars you listed:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/1992/1992_240sx.pdf

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2002/BR.pdf

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2007_Maxima/br.pdf

The MANUFACTURER of the cars you mention list it as a parking brake, not an emergency brake.

Might one design be "better" than another? Maybe, but not when it comes to it's primary intent, acting as a parking brake, as is regulated by the Federal Government.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations

Standard No. 105 - Hydraulic and Electric Brake Systems - Passenger Cars (Effective 1-1-68)
This standard specifies requirements for vehicles equipped with hydraulic and electric service brake systems and associated parking brake systems to ensure safe braking performance under normal conditions and emergency conditions.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
You're wrong, John. And it got repetitive because you refuse to accept that you're wrong and continue to cling to a belief that yanking on the parking brake is an effective way of slowing down to avoid a ticket.
You're freaking delusional, Lego. Go back and read this thread. Better yet, have someone read it out loud to you.

Of course the G's Parking Brake is an ineffective way of slowing down the car. It does not engage the calipers, it uses weak little shoes on the backside of the rotors, and there's not enough force to make a difference. This has to be, what, the eighth time I've said that? The hand-brakes in my last three Nissans could effectively and immediately brake the car in an emergency situation. You can't do that in a G37. It's pointless.

Dude, you just look foolish now. At first it was kind of fun watching you get thin-skinned as you tripped over your own comments, because that's often how we play here on the forum, teasing each other like that. But you don't play, and immediately took this to a level that's downright disturbing. I don't entirely understand why you're doing this, but then I'm not you. All I can say is good luck finding peace with whatever your problem is here.

Please stop attacking me.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-05-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

You're freaking delusional, Lego. Go back and read this thread. Better yet, have someone read it out loud to you.

Of course the G's Parking Brake is an ineffective way of slowing down the car. It does not engage the calipers, it uses weak little shoes on the backside of the rotors, and there's not enough force to make a difference. This has to be, what, the eighth time I've said that? The hand-brakes in my last three Nissans could effectively and immediately brake the car in an emergency situation. You can't do that in a G37. It's pointless.

Dude, you just look foolish now. At first it was kind of fun watching you get thin-skinned as you tripped over your own comments, because that's often how we play here on the forum, teasing each other like that. But you don't play, and immediately took this to a level that's downright disturbing. I don't entirely understand why you're doing this, but then I'm not you. All I can say is good luck finding peace with whatever your problem is here.

Please stop attacking me.
Attacking you?

You mean trying to explain why you're wrong?

There is no such thing as an emergency brake. It's a parking brake. While some designs may be better at locking a caliper, it's neither an effective or efficient way of stopping.

Your last 3 cars, according to the manufacturer had parking brakes.

What "emergency situation" did you encounter that you used the parking brake to slow down.

Get over yourself.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Again, good luck finding peace, Lego. Because you're nuts.

I asked you to stop attacking me. You don't even have to apologize... although that would be appropriate, and rational. Just quit it.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-05-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Just keep it up, Lego, you're only hurting yourself, for reasons you don't seem capable of comprehending. If this is the way you act when you're blatantly wrong about something inconsequential, I can only imaging the batsh1t crazy that ensues when you're wrong about something that matters. You're 40? Really? Let's hope you get over this before you're 50.

You poor guy. You really need a time out. Yikes!

And again, good luck finding peace.
Nothing of substance except refusing to accept the facts with thinly disguised personal attacks.

Fact: the hand/parking/ebrake is an ineffective way of slowing the car.

Fact: the cars you claim had emergency brakes have parking brakes per the manufacturer

Fact: you're condoning illegal activities by using the hand/parking brake and intentionally bypassing your brake lights
Old 04-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Nothing of substance except refusing to accept the facts with thinly disguised personal attacks.

Fact: the hand/parking/ebrake is an ineffective way of slowing the car.

Fact: the cars you claim had emergency brakes have parking brakes per the manufacturer

Fact: you're condoning illegal activities by using the hand/parking brake and intentionally bypassing your brake lights
Fact: you're loony toons, with deeply disturbing insecurity issues.

Refresh! Refresh! Refresh! LOL
Old 04-05-2016, 09:44 AM
813G37S

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im just here for the comments...
Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Again, good luck finding peace, Lego. Because you're nuts.

I asked you to stop attacking me. You don't even have to apologize... although that would be appropriate, and rational. Just quit it.

I'm not attacking you. If anything calling me nuts, crazy, dillusional, etc constitutes personal attacks. If anything, you're the one who should be apologizing.

I bowed out, because you can't recognize you are misinformed. 4DRZ extended an olive branch, which you used as yet another excuse for a thinly veiled personal attack, and to get the last, last word.

Maybe you should take your own advice and seek some inner peace

Quick Reply: Pet peeve: No, you're not faster with VSC off