G37 Sedan

Pet peeve: No, you're not faster with VSC off

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
No, they aren't the same thing at all, and they are not redundant to the hydraulic brakes. The P-Brake is a cable actuated system that expands little brake shoes on the inside of the rear rotors. It does not operate the rear calipers. If you've never seen the brake system up close, take a look at section PB in the FSM.

Lego, we don't have an emergency brake system. The parking brake is just a parking brake, designed to hold the car in place when parking. If you try and use it in an emergency situation, you will stop the car. But eventually... and very, very slowly.
And an "emergency" brake that compresses the rear pistons via the cables does what, differently? It's the same thing
Old 04-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
And an "emergency" brake that compresses the rear pistons via the cables does what, differently? It's the same thing
No, it's not the same thing. Your G's parking brake cable does not compress the rear caliper pistons, it expands little brake shoes on the backside of the rear rotors. It's a separate braking system entirely. And that p-brake system isn't designed to apply the same kind of stopping force as the calipers, which is why it's called a Parking Brake, and not an Emergency Brake. IDK how many different ways to say that.

Go ahead, use it in an emergency. I guarantee you will be disappointed.

Are you figuring this out yet, buddy?

Last edited by Rochester; 04-02-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:48 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

No, it's not the same thing. Your G's parking brake cable does not compress the rear caliper pistons, it expands little brake shoes on the backside of the rear rotors. It's a separate braking system entirely. And that p-brake system isn't designed to apply the same kind of stopping force as the calipers, which is why it's called a Parking Brake, and not an Emergency Brake. IDK how many different ways to say that.

No, it is the same thing.

It's a lever, that operates a cable, that mechanically activities the rear brakes, either shoes, drums, or calipers. It's redundant to your power brakes.

Regardless of the mechanism it's a sh&ty way to slow down whether for an emergency or a cop.

Do you really think a cable compressing the caliper via the handbrake is going to provide significantly more braking than the drum such that it's a practical alternative to the power brakes, buddy?
Old 04-02-2016, 11:11 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Now it's undeniable that Jim Rockford was cool, with (stunt driver) skills, an understated Firebird, and loads of self-confidence. You can almost overlook that he lived in a trailer with his father.
Garner did most of his own stunt driving. He picked up his skills for the film Gran Prix back in the mid-Sixties. He and his fellow actors went to Bondurant's school and Garner was the only one who showed any aptitude according to one of the instructors.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:17 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
One can learn so much from youtube LOL

Old 04-03-2016, 12:00 AM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

It's a lever, that operates a cable, that mechanically activities the rear brakes, either shoes, drums, or calipers. It's redundant to your power brakes.

Regardless of the mechanism it's a sh&ty way to slow down whether for an emergency or a cop.

Do you really think a cable compressing the caliper via the handbrake is going to provide significantly more braking than the drum such that it's a practical alternative to the power brakes, buddy?
I would venture to guess that a lever, pulling a cable, which in turn operated brakes would do better when connected to calipers compressing discs than drums. In the same way that discs on the same car are far better than drums.
And the shoes are tiny. I got to see them perfectly when I was swapping studs and had to pull the rear discs. That parking brake is not stopping anything at all.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

OMG.

There's something not-normal going on here with you that has nothing to do with physics. But I actually have a solution, and it's a really simple one, too. Get in your car, hop on the highway, then yank your parking brake. If it helps you get in the mood, pretend you need to make an emergency stop.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Garner did most of his own stunt driving. He picked up his skills for the film Gran Prix back in the mid-Sixties. He and his fellow actors went to Bondurant's school and Garner was the only one who showed any aptitude according to one of the instructors.
Wow, that is awesome. I didn't know that.

You probably know that he had a new model year Firebird Esprit from '75 through '78 on the Rockford files. Which makes me wonder which way money flowed there with product placement. But did you know that the reason they never used the '79 or '80 was because Jim Garner didn't like the redesigned look of the '79 nose? So they stuck with the '78 for the last few seasons. At least, that's how I remember the urban myth.

Go Garner! And RIP, Brett Maverick.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-03-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

OMG.

There's something not-normal going on here with you that has nothing to do with physics. But I actually have a solution, and it's a really simple one, too. Get in your car, hop on the highway, then yank your parking brake. If it helps you get in the mood, pretend you need to make an emergency stop.
You've got it backwards.

I'm not the one who instinctively yanks on the parking/emergency/handbrake to slow down when they see a police car
Old 04-03-2016, 10:02 AM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts

Sorry for the complete topic change OP....however some added info on the parking brake system...
I think the name was changed from emergency brake to parking brake due to some larger auto manufactures getting sued. However, the present "parking brake" system is probably less effective relative to the past "emergency brake" system because many now have a horrible drum system versus caliper system which they are fine with because they cant get sued for a "parking brake". I had the unfortunate pleasure of working on a parking brake system on my old Corvette that was a drum like set up. I have not worked on the G37 however...it is probably some weak azz set up also. When you see the internals of the system you will understand how weak it is in comparison to the piston e brake.

This is the parking brake system from a 1997 and 2004 but it is the same all the way until 2012 I know because I remember every piece because I had to tear mine apart due to the need to pass a stupid inspection...

See the lever below...the cable is attached to that lever.
The crapply little pushrod weakly floating about packed in grease is what the lever pushes on when you apply the handbrake...it then pushes the tappet on the bottom lower and the shape of the lever pushes upward against the nut which spreads the shoe. Thats it - that crappy little pushrod - between you and an emergency situation....nope... Horrible system ....barely effective for parking security...

Last edited by G37sGraphite; 04-03-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
Sorry for the complete topic change OP....
Me too. It never occurred to me that Lego would dive headfirst into a bucket of crazy.

It's kind of unnerving, like arguing reality with someone supporting the Bigot Drumpf.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

FMVSS 135 regulates braking systems in passenger cars and doesn't mention "emergency" brake at all. They are almost always used interchangeably despite some differences in the mechanics.

I recall reading that the whole electronic parking brake is due to changing motor vehicle standards and is needed to tighten the cables beyond what is possible with traditional hand/foot brakes.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Me too. It never occurred to me that Lego would dive headfirst into a bucket of crazy.

It's kind of unnerving, like arguing reality with someone supporting the Bigot Drumpf.

]
Tell me about it

I think you get how stupid it is to yank on the handbrake to slow down when you see a cop, yet here you are, posting cute pictures and referencing the Rockford files.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:53 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
It's getting to the point where we need to put some traction control on this thread. I'm just waiting for this thread to include BMWs in some way, shape, or form.
Continue on..........................
Old 04-03-2016, 12:17 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
My old camaro had a brake handle near the shifter too. When yanked there was noticeably more braking force applied than performing the same action in the G. From what I can remember, the system used a cable to actuate the pads in the rear calipers. There was no drum brake system involved.

Here's a good view of the caliper.

Quick Reply: Pet peeve: No, you're not faster with VSC off