Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
minus the stupid Rockford files pic
LOL

Truth is, a "Rockford Turn" is accomplished with the emergency-brake, and vastly more manageable when said brake is engaged by hand rather than foot, like that old 1974 Firebird Esprit.

And in that context, only our 6MT Sedan has a hand-brake. But even that's not true, because what we actually have is a lame-azz parking brake, not a proper emergency brake. I can't tell you how many times I've approached a parked police car and instinctively yanked on the brake handle, only to be foolishly reminded that nothing is going to happen.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:44 AM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
LOL

Truth is, a "Rockford Turn" is accomplished with the emergency-brake, and vastly more manageable when said brake is engaged by hand rather than foot, like that old 1974 Firebird Esprit.

And in that context, only our 6MT Sedan has a hand-brake. But even that's not true, because what we actually have is a lame-azz parking brake, not a proper emergency brake. I can't tell you how many times I've approached a parked police car and instinctively yanked on the brake handle, only to be foolishly reminded that nothing is going to happen.
A "reverse 180", a "Rockford Turn", a "Rockford Spin", or simply a "Rockford" popularized by the 1970s TV show The Rockford Files.
.. Jump to 43 seconds!

Old 04-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 35Sport
Bridgestone RE760 Sports, they're a year old.
Stickier tires--like the Pilot SS or Bridgestone S04--would help a lot.

I can't tell you how many times I've approached a parked police car and instinctively yanked on the brake handle, only to be foolishly reminded that nothing is going to happen.
Seriously? Using the brakes would be far more effective in shedding speed prior to approaching a parked police car. Unless you drive around with your hand on the parking brake.

Do you run a radar detector?
Old 04-02-2016, 02:56 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
AWD G Launches well with TC ON. Mine will sometimes cut power on the 1-2 shift though for some stupid reason.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Anyone ever encounter loss of power on a turn on certain occasions with the 7 speed auto? Not sure if it's lag in the transmission or the vdc kicking in but my transmission is fully updated from the dealer
Old 04-02-2016, 03:25 PM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Stickier tires--like the Pilot SS or Bridgestone S04--would help a lot.

Seriously? Using the brakes would be far more effective in shedding speed prior to approaching a parked police car. Unless you drive around with your hand on the parking brake.

Do you run a radar detector?
Yes seriously. It is a common trick to quickly slow down a car without the brake lights going on and without a squat towards the front of the car. Hitting the brakes just lets the cop know you think are you are speeding and it is a good way to get a ticket.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Seriously? Using the brakes would be far more effective in shedding speed prior to approaching a parked police car.
You're misunderstanding intent. In traffic, nothing says "I know I'm speeding" like taking a nose-dive with brake lights on.

Originally Posted by jgronline
Yes seriously. It is a common trick to quickly slow down a car without the brake lights going on and without a squat towards the front of the car. Hitting the brakes just lets the cop know you think are you are speeding and it is a good way to get a ticket.
Exactly. It's an old habit, and as it turns out, a pretty pointless one with this car.

About 25 years ago I had a new 240SX... absolutely loved that handbrake.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:35 PM
bigc

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricio1991
Anyone ever encounter loss of power on a turn on certain occasions with the 7 speed auto? Not sure if it's lag in the transmission or the vdc kicking in but my transmission is fully updated from the dealer
i get this sometimes coming out of a turn. it feels like the car is in too high of a gear and takes a while to downshift. if i have it in manual mode, i drop down to second or third, but it still feels like it takes longer to put power to the ground than in my 5AT G35.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by bigc
i get this sometimes coming out of a turn. it feels like the car is in too high of a gear and takes a while to downshift. if i have it in manual mode, i drop down to second or third, but it still feels like it takes longer to put power to the ground than in my 5AT G35.
I hate it because let's say I needed to accelerate quickly to avoid a crash and the car doesn't accelerate due to a one two second lag. Your right when I'm in manual mode I usually have to drop two gears to be in the perfect accelerating mode in this car
Old 04-02-2016, 05:29 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jgronline
So what if your car nose dives. Did the officer get a radar lock on the car? That's really all that matters. As long as you aren't the only car on the road, chances are he is hitting a car ahead of you. And if you are the only car on the road, he has a clean read and you're SOL.

The parking brake isn't going to "quickly slow down a car" compared to the actual brakes, unless you are trying to slow down by 2-3 mph, then who cares, practically everyone brakes when they see a cop.

In my youth, I got a 78 in a 55. The officer told me "we both know you were going a lot faster" because I jammed on my breaks. He even let me see the radar display, because I didn't think there was any way he could have gotten a clean read on me. Grabbing the parking brake would have done even less to mitigate the impending ticket.

You're misunderstanding intent. In traffic, nothing says "I know I'm speeding" like taking a nose-dive with brake lights on.
I understand the intent. I also recognize the pointlessness of the maneuver.

You're speeding and see a police car.

You can A)Move your foot from the accelerator to the brake and quickly slow down using all your braking capacity, or B) move your hand from the steering wheel down to the parking brake to yank up on it and use only a fraction of your cars braking capability to slow down.

If you are going fast enough to warrant a ticket, A is the best option to actually avoid it.

I guess it sounds cool though
Old 04-02-2016, 05:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts

Exactly. It's an old habit, and as it turns out, a pretty pointless one with this car.
Maybe there's replacement shoes available with better compound? They don't call it a parking brake for nothing
Old 04-02-2016, 05:50 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Ah the infamous Rockford. Those are fun to do in the snow.

My lap times are always much faster w/ VDC off. On the street the VDC seems very intrusive on my G right now because I am on snow tires- it kicks in before I even start to slide. It was not as bad on the stock summer tires, but still annoying. Hopefully, it is a lot better on the street once I get my sticky tires on (if it ever stops snowing here...)
Old 04-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You can A)Move your foot from the accelerator to the brake and quickly slow down using all your braking capacity, or B) move your hand from the steering wheel down to the parking brake to yank up on it and use only a fraction of your cars braking capability to slow down.

If you are going fast enough to warrant a ticket, A is the best option to actually avoid it.

I guess it sounds cool though
And that's why it's pointless, because we don't have an e-brake, we have a p-brake.

It neither sounds cool nor doesn't sound cool... it's just basic psych. In a field of cars suspected of speeding either by radar or by eye, the car reacting in an obvious way is the one most likely to get attention. However, if you're the only car and he nails you with radar, well then you're screwed no matter what you do or don't do.

Now it's undeniable that Jim Rockford was cool, with (stunt driver) skills, an understated Firebird, and loads of self-confidence. You can almost overlook that he lived in a trailer with his father.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-02-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

And that's why it's pointless, because we don't have an e-brake, we have a p-brake.

They're the same thing, a cable actuated brake that mechanically operates the rear brakes

They are redundant to the hydraulic brakes, hence the "emergency" brake designation.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

They're the same thing, a cable actuated brake that mechanically operates the rear brakes

They are redundant to the hydraulic brakes, hence the "emergency" brake designation.
No, Lego, they aren't the same thing at all, and they are not redundant to the hydraulic brakes. The P-Brake is a cable actuated system that expands little brake shoes on the inside of the rear rotors. It does not operate the rear calipers. If you've never seen the brake system up close, take a look at section PB in the FSM.

And there is no emergency brake "designation", because it's called a Parking Brake system. It's not intended for emergency use, only for parking. I mean, it will stop the car's forward motion, but eventually, and very, very slowly.

Rollyeye all you want, man. But it is what it is.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-02-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Pet peeve: No, you're not faster with VSC off