G37 Sedan

Liquid Plantinum w/ Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 03:05 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Liquid Plantinum w/ Mods

Hello all happy Tuesday... As I sit here at work and have some down time I've been browsing different build threads and seen some extremely nice looking cars! I pretty much know what im going to do performance wise but am not totally sure about aesthetic upgrades I would like to do. I've never seen a moded G in person so I wanted to get some opinions on some aesthetic upgrades yall have done that you think stand out but look classy at the same time. I realize what looks attractive on a car is purely subjective and realize its going to depend on my tastes ultimately but am looking for some advice from those who either own a G w/ the same or similar color or someone who just has a strong opinion on different mods that look good on our cars.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2016, 03:30 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Here's some ideas to get you started. This is what I've done to my G so far, trying to keep it clean and simple.

- Wrap rear diffuser in gloss black
- 19" coupe sport wheels
- LED interior and exterior lights
- Coilovers
- Midnight grille (you can just wrap or paint it black)
- OEM sport lip

Liquid Plantinum w/ Mods-mem79ke.jpg

Liquid Plantinum w/ Mods-resizex.jpg
Old 03-01-2016, 03:59 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by the93owner
Here's some ideas to get you started. This is what I've done to my G so far, trying to keep it clean and simple.

- 19" coupe sport wheels
- Coilovers
- OEM sport lip

Lol, this is exactly what I did to my 2010, also wrapped the window trim. No performance mods for me on this car. Just need it to stick around for 2-3 years and then I'm jumping ship for a 340i!
Old 03-01-2016, 04:16 PM
TannerG

- 19" coupe sport wheels
- Coilovers
- OEM sport lip

Yeah this weekend im getting the grille professionally painted. Still on the fence about the OEM lip, do you find it to scrape easily on bumps? How do you feel the ride quality is on those 19s? that's a good looking car sir!

Originally Posted by AUR11
Lol, this is exactly what I did to my 2010, also wrapped the window trim. No performance mods for me on this car. Just need it to stick around for 2-3 years and then I'm jumping ship for a 340i!
Traitor! Lol.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:21 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TannerG
Yeah this weekend im getting the grille professionally painted. Still on the fence about the OEM lip, do you find it to scrape easily on bumps? How do you feel the ride quality is on those 19s? that's a good looking car sir!
Thanks! If you have the sport bumper, it's a must. But it's getting pretty hard to find. If you have the regular bumper then they're more common. I usually don't have any issues clearing bumps, I tend to scrape my undertray more than the lip.

Ride quality isn't bad at all. It's rougher more because I'm lowered, not so much because of the larger wheels. 19s are that bad, 20s are where you start feeling it more. And thanks for the thumbs up!
Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 PM
TannerG

Thanks! If you have the sport bumper, it's a must. But it's getting pretty hard to find. If you have the regular bumper then they're more common. I usually don't have any issues clearing bumps, I tend to scrape my undertray more than the lip.

Ride quality isn't bad at all. It's rougher more because I'm lowered, not so much because of the larger wheels. 19s are that bad, 20s are where you start feeling it more. And thanks for the thumbs up!
Yeah I've considered lowering but im also on the fence about that. Im 6'3" and a lowered step in height isn't as ideal, on the other hand it looks good and helps w/ handling and aerodynamics. The first performance upgrade im doing is sways and then exhaust. How much did you lower your car and how often do you scrape?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:47 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TannerG
Yeah I've considered lowering but im also on the fence about that. Im 6'3" and a lowered step in height isn't as ideal, on the other hand it looks good and helps w/ handling and aerodynamics. The first performance upgrade im doing is sways and then exhaust. How much did you lower your car and how often do you scrape?
I'm at about 25.8" from the front fender to the ground, so around 2 inches I think? I don't really scrape that often, just on speed bumps. I'm usually good on normal bumps in the road.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:58 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I have the AWD and the undertray scrapes a whole bunch after lowering. It's the lowest part of the car even though the actual body of the car isn't that low. It's gotta be hanging at least an inch lower than the front bumper of the car.

The worst is when i go over a speedbump a little too fast... you can hear the front smacking the ground. Not a good sound

on the other hand, the car looks good and handles awesomley... soo yeah.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:27 PM
TannerG

I'm at about 25.8" from the front fender to the ground, so around 2 inches I think? I don't really scrape that often, just on speed bumps. I'm usually good on normal bumps in the road.
Originally Posted by iCrap
I have the AWD and the undertray scrapes a whole bunch after lowering. It's the lowest part of the car even though the actual body of the car isn't that low. It's gotta be hanging at least an inch lower than the front bumper of the car.

The worst is when i go over a speedbump a little too fast... you can hear the front smacking the ground. Not a good sound

on the other hand, the car looks good and handles awesomley... soo yeah.
So both of you would say you feel that its worth it? Was the price paid reasonable? Lowering and the sport lip are the only two mods I'm on the fence about w/ pros and cons for both.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:47 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
The price paid was worth it, but I did all the work myself. So i only paid $450-500 for the springs and new KYB shocks and did the install work myself.
The handling is so much better.

With the lip, i dunno. Personally i don't think it looks all that great on the pre-facelift models. I have the regular bumper and i'm stuck with it (i have the adaptive cruise), but the sport bumper and lip looks a bit better.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:50 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

The sport bumper & lip are worlds better than the base bumper. As for the suspension, I paid $850 for coilovers and $400 for front & rear camber kits. Install for everything ran me about $300-400 and another $100 for alignment. Pretty costly upgrade, but worth it!
Old 03-01-2016, 06:17 PM
TannerG

Originally Posted by iCrap
The price paid was worth it, but I did all the work myself. So i only paid $450-500 for the springs and new KYB shocks and did the install work myself.
The handling is so much better.

With the lip, i dunno. Personally i don't think it looks all that great on the pre-facelift models. I have the regular bumper and i'm stuck with it (i have the adaptive cruise), but the sport bumper and lip looks a bit better.
The sport bumper & lip are worlds better than the base bumper. As for the suspension, I paid $850 for coilovers and $400 for front & rear camber kits. Install for everything ran me about $300-400 and another $100 for alignment. Pretty costly upgrade, but worth it!
Luckily I could do it myself. The front bumper does look sort of plain but I'm not sure if I like the sport lip. Thank you guys for your input its been very helpful. Any other asethetic upgrades recommended?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

A lot of people also wrap their roof, window trim, and trunk trim in black. That's about it for the simple and less costly mods. You could also get a set of modded headlights but those are pretty expensive and usually only look good on cars that have other significant mods.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:18 AM
TannerG

A lot of people also wrap their roof, window trim, and trunk trim in black. That's about it for the simple and less costly mods. You could also get a set of modded headlights but those are pretty expensive and usually only look good on cars that have other significant mods.
Yeah IDK about wrapping the roof of a silver car. Not sure If that would be a good look. I have however thought of wrapping the molding b/c im not a big fan of all the chrome. Have any of yall seen any good replacements for the aluminum accents in the dash and on the center stack? I like them but I think it might look better in a high gloss black.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:20 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
I wouldn't wrap the roof on that color G...kinda tacky imo. The rest of the trim is fine, the chrome needs to go.
Lowering is pretty much always worth it, handling and performance outweighs anything. The sport wheels are nice but if you want a stock wheel that stands out a lot more, go for a set of IPLs. They're a higher quality and lighter wheel than the other stock wheels for these cars (as far as 19s)