G37 Sedan

Does anyone have Tanabe Axle backs on their set up along with a cat back set up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:37 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Here's my setup:

FI RHFC --> Tanabe Y-Pipe --> Custom 2.25" Mid-Pipe w/ 18" Vibrant Resonators --> Tanabe Axlebacks

When I just had HFC's and the Tanabe's the sound was too quiet for me. You could only really hear the exhaust at WOT. Now the sound is near perfect imo. There's a nice throaty sound when accelerating at partial throttle but it screams when I floor it. There's only minimal highway drone, zero rasp and it's rather tame when just cruising around town.

However, I'm about to change things up again. I'm replacing the Tanabe's with Borla Boomer mufflers and modifying the Y-Pipe to Mid-pipe connection with a Magnaflow X Pipe.

The following 4 users liked this post by PG-v36_6MT:
blnewt (02-24-2016), MaQG37 (02-25-2016), Rennies5 (02-24-2016), socketz67 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 10:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Both those setups looks pretty well thought-out, thanks for the info & pics. How big are the Borla tips?
BTW, kudos for one of the cleanest undersides I've seen!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 PM
JoeCho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
Here's my setup:

FI RHFC --> Tanabe Y-Pipe --> Custom 2.25" Mid-Pipe w/ 18" Vibrant Resonators --> Tanabe Axlebacks

When I just had HFC's and the Tanabe's the sound was too quiet for me. You could only really hear the exhaust at WOT. Now the sound is near perfect imo. There's a nice throaty sound when accelerating at partial throttle but it screams when I floor it. There's only minimal highway drone, zero rasp and it's rather tame when just cruising around town.

However, I'm about to change things up again. I'm replacing the Tanabe's with Borla Boomer mufflers and modifying the Y-Pipe to Mid-pipe connection with a Magnaflow X Pipe.

Do you think you could bless us all with a sound clip of how that set up sounds like? From your description of it, it seems perfect to me and I would love to hear a demo of it.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:58 AM
JoeCho

Here's my setup:

What are the benefits of the x pipe setup compared to the y pipe setup?
Old 02-25-2016, 05:55 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Here's my setup:

Do you have any more pictures? Does your midpipe still taper down so the Tanabe fits? Or is there 2.25" piping going into the Tanabe as well vs OEM size piping?
Old 02-25-2016, 02:29 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by the93owner
Would you mind sharing a sound clip? Also do you notice any increase in drone?

I have no drone at all.
Here is a clip i did. It's much better sounding in person.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:31 PM
Otherbmw

Originally Posted by JoeCho
I've been looking around to complete my exhaust system I'm looking for increased performance along with a deeper/louder tone. Does anyone have a full catback set up on their sedan with the Tanabe Axlebacks? It seems to me the Tanabe mid pipes are only made to fit the coupe and not the sedan. I can't seem to find a mid pipe to go along with the Tanabe Axlebacks. If anyone can recommend a mid pipe along with a y pipe as well that would be greatly appreciated. My current set up consists of the Tanabe Axlebacks, stock midpipe, stock y pipe, and Kinetic racing HFCS.
I found this link to an old tanabe R&D blog where they have sound clips for the axle back exhaust with and without a mid pipe. Was this not released for the sedan?

Tanabe USA R&D Blog | Infiniti G37S Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust + Midpipe Videos and Dyno's

Last edited by Otherbmw; 02-25-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by guy from norcal
I have a tanabe and i also swapped out my resonators for a set of 12" vibrant resonators. Really sounds good. the stock resonators really muffle most of the sound.
Isn't that the sole purpose of the resonator? The shorter resonators will definitely give you a throatier tone. If I recall, the coupe uses a slightly shorter resonator as compared to the sedan. Thanks for sharing the feedback.

Last edited by socketz67; 02-25-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:45 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 235 Posts
You rock PG-v36_6MT. If you crawl around under the sedan (I have pics posted in a thread somewhere on the forum), you will see that the sedan uses long resonators (18") and tapers the exhaust down to under 2 inches right after the resonators.

This was most likely done to reduce noise inside the cabin.

Shorter resonators and 2.25 piping back to the mufflers is a slam dunk for better sound (albeit a little too noisy for some).

To be honest, I had always thought that the Tannabe axle back was sub 2" in diameter as well since it bolts directly to the midpipe on the sedan. It sounds like you have mated it to a 2.25 midpipe with no issues. This is good to know.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:04 PM
JoeCho

Originally Posted by Otherbmw
I found this link to an old tanabe R&D blog where they have sound clips for the axle back exhaust with and without a mid pipe. Was this not released for the sedan?

Tanabe USA R&D Blog | Infiniti G37S Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust + Midpipe Videos and Dyno's

I've actually saw that too when I was looking for the tanabe midpipe for the sedan. It confused me since I couldnt find the sedan mid pipe anywhere but they had an example of it in the official site