G37X SEDAN Longevity Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 02:51 PM
Herick Perez
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37X SEDAN Longevity Project

Hey Guys,

This is my first ever post. I am curious what you guys think of a project I have had in mind for a few months now. For lack of a better name I am calling it the Longevity Project. My idea is simple buy a set amount of select aftermarket parts in order to preserve my G37X for at least 20 years. I have owned the car for a year and have only put 12,000 miles on it and I bough it with 18,000 miles exactly. this is my idea.

To Install:

1.Headers
2.cats
3.catback exhaust

items 1-3 are because the stock exhaust corrodes very easily

4.cold air intake
5.oil cooler

items 4&5 to keep engine running cooler under all conditions

6. transmission cooler
7. driveshaft cooler

items 6&7 to keep auto tranny from dying on me and driveshaft to keep it cool if I decide to get bigger rims.

I only run Royal Purple 5W-30 and 93oct fuel

I figured this would keep my g37x sedan running for significantly longer than it is expected since I am NOT running any forced induction and just want to drive this car forever. What are your thoughts and what do you recommend if I missed anything? maybe you guys would shed some lights on any weak point in the car that I have not covered.

SOUND OFF
Old 01-18-2016, 03:05 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Depending on what year your car is you may need to consider the rear oil gallery gaskets.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/front-...et-p-8880.html
Old 01-18-2016, 03:30 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
I think you can scratch #7 "driveshaft cooler" off your list... they don't exist.
Other than that, it looks like a good list.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:48 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
OP - interesting ideas, and i like where your head is at. i agree with Sonic that the driveshaft cooler is not a readily available, if at all, modification.

in general, the G's exhaust system is pretty good, and will last a long time. not sure about 20 years, but at least 10 unless you drive the Alaska highway regularly. perhaps wait until you've used up the stock exhaust's useable service life and upgrade then - or buy a take-off OE system from this forum. exhaust is a long-term consumable, so the cats are the same - run them into the ground then re+re.

OE headers are also a long service life part. of course if you want 'gains' or a sound mod then go for it, but i wouldn't change these out before they wore out.

+1 on the oil cooler, great idea (although i thought our cars came with an OE oil cooler). a differential and transmission cooler may also be available. reducing heat will help with part longevity. not sure if you are 6MT or 7AT.

i'd like to see intake air measurements on a CAI to prove a cooler air charge. maybe a few actually do draw in cool air, like the long-tube types with filters in front of the radiator. the OE air intake system is quite good in the G37 in stock form.

i'd stick to top-tier 91 octane, but running 93 won't harm anything.

bobistheoilguy has some great discussions and information when it comes to oils. not sure where Royal Purple ranks, but it is pricey.

for long-term reliability my focus would be on timely and routine preventative maintenance. things like fluid and filter changes done religiously. keeping the car clean & protected (exterior/interior) and the body free of scratches or chips that could rust over time. keep the body trim, gaskets, door/trunk/tail-light seals, and water drain tubes clean, clear and protected.

good luck with the project!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:06 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
It'll last 20 years no problem... mine is 9yrs old now and still going strong.
Although, i think i'd get bored with it after 20yrs.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:18 PM
Herick Perez
Registered Member

Im a dumbass lol. I went back on stillen.com it was a power steering cooler. https://www.stillen.com/performance/....html?___SID=U
Old 01-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Herick Perez
Registered Member

I still would probably end up giving it to my son
Old 01-18-2016, 04:20 PM
Herick Perez
Registered Member

I am looking at the exhaust necause when i put the car up on the lift the entire exhaust was corroded the rest of the car dosent have any rust on it at all. I should probably mentio. This car is a daily driver in the northeast
Old 01-18-2016, 05:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Herick Perez
This car is a daily driver in the northeast
Including winters? 12k miles per year with northeast winters... I think you're being unrealistic, no matter how well you maintain it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mocking you. Particularly since I'm 4 years into a 10 year ownership plan myself. But I only put 5k miles per year on the car.

And as much as you enjoy your G, there will always be something better within reach down the road.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:09 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Hi, your idea sounds good in theory but is probably completely unnecessary. I still have a way to go on my G37 as it's a 2012 and has 55,000 miles.

However, if the G37 is going to be as reliable as my 2003 G35 which is going to pass 250,000 this month then you don't have too much to worry about.

Everything except exhaust (changed in the spring), radiator (replaced two years ago or so), and starter replaced at approx 130,000 miles, is OEM and still running great. Other maintenance/wear&tear items have been done and replaced as needed.

My suspension probably isn't in the be best kind of shape but it isn't too bad.

Estimating 15,000 per year u would hit 300,000 miles in 20 years. I think it is doable, but the suspension will need to be worked before you hit that mileage.

The other thing or someone else mentioned do you really want to drive this car for 20 years. I am only 13 years into my G35 ownership but don't like to drive the car too much. Don't want to sell as it isn't worth too much with 250,000 miles.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Not sure if there will be an audience for the results of your 'longevity' study once you're done in 20 years. Infiniti does extensive studies on durability and even without any aftermarket parts, would feel confident with the G making it through 20 years with normal maintenance.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:03 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Herick Perez
I am looking at the exhaust necause when i put the car up on the lift the entire exhaust was corroded the rest of the car dosent have any rust on it at all. I should probably mentio. This car is a daily driver in the northeast
Yes, run 93 octane since you're in the Northeast. Take it from a guy who ran 91 octane while living in Cali, now I'm in the Northeast, too...much better gas over here.

You've mentioned several intake and exhaust mods, so you would benefit greatly by getting your car tuned (Uprev, Ecutek, etc.) in order to balance out the air/fuel ratio.

Good luck with your plan and welcome to the forum!