G37 Sedan

The interior noise is getting worse and I can't take it anymore

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 02:25 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The interior noise is getting worse and I can't take it anymore

Possibly due to the weather (COLD!), the cracking noise from the center components are getting worse.

When I first bought this g37, it was flawless.. the interior plastic noise started about 4 months ago and now I can hear it every seconds I drive. Literally every time ever turn every acceleration every braking..

I was wondering if dealership would do anything for this? If they can't, I think I'm going to trade in my car to brand new GTI or something.

That cracking noise is just so bad.

UPDATE: My car was CPO vehicle with extended elite warranty til 2019.

Last edited by G37X GraSdadow; 01-08-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:34 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
install test pipes and muffler delete.. crank up the radio
Old 01-08-2016, 03:22 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Only thing the dealer can do is tear apart entire center console and add felt tape everywhere.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:49 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by G37X GraSdadow
Possibly due to the weather (COLD!), the cracking noise from the center components are getting worse.

When I first bought this g37, it was flawless.. the interior plastic noise started about 4 months ago and now I can hear it every seconds I drive. Literally every time ever turn every acceleration every braking..

I was wondering if dealership would do anything for this? If they can't, I think I'm going to trade in my car to brand new GTI or something.

What noises? It's pretty cold where I am and I'm not experiencing this.
Can you get a video?
Old 01-08-2016, 04:07 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Can you get a video?
Literally plastic grinding noise? I am work but I will get the video if I can.

if you pres your plastic components (shifting section, electronic section.. the fake wood/aluminum parts) you will hear the plastic noise.

Imagine you hear it everytime you drive. Sometimes I want to drive quietly and all you hear is that plastic noise every go turn and stop.

Its very annoying.

I hope infiniti would do something for me sine i'm under warranty..
Old 01-08-2016, 04:13 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Literally plastic grinding noise? I am work but I will get the video if I can.

if you pres your plastic components (shifting section, electronic section.. the fake wood/aluminum parts) you will hear the plastic noise.

Imagine you hear it everytime you drive. Sometimes I want to drive quietly and all you hear is that plastic noise every go turn and stop.

Its very annoying.

I hope infiniti would do something for me sine i'm under warranty..
I've had my car since September with no "grinding" noise from the plastic. Have you tried calling Infiniti directly? They'll probably be willing to help you.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Most manufacturers only warranty squeaks and rattles for a year. Maybe Infiniti will be different since it is a luxury brand? Unlikely, but possible. I would start there 1st.

If they don't do anything, the good news is that you are hearing the squeak often so it should be relatively easy to track down. I spent a ton of time trying to find a noise in my G37 that only happened occasionally. I finally discovered it was a vibration caused every so often at a certain frequency by my sunglasses in the storage bin by the sunroof?!?

It sounds like you only hear the noises while driving (as opposed to just reving the engine or cranking the stereo) so you may need someone else to drive while tracking down the source of the squeak/noise. The tracking down of the noise is usually the hard part. Typically, once you find the source, it is just a matter of using felt tape or something similar to silence it.

I had a new Subaru STI in 2009 that had a horrible squeaking noise in the cold. It turned out that the plastic on the A-pillar was rubbing the dash at a wierd angle to create the noise. A thin slice of rubber between the two panels and I never heard it again.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2016, 05:19 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Rattle hunts are fun. Felt strips and Shin-Etsu are your friends!
Old 01-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Snipres

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by micafd3s
install test pipes and muffler delete.. crank up the radio
ThisðŸ‘ðŸ»
Old 01-08-2016, 05:35 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts

Are you sure it's not coming from the front cowling rubbing against the windshield?

Check out this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ng-noises.html

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Hey Zahy - I bet it's real cold down there in North Carolina...have you started breeding penguins yet? LOL

Sean
Old 01-08-2016, 08:50 PM
bcuts.ng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you might have something stuck between the seats or the arm rest
Old 01-17-2016, 03:27 AM
dflores

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd check out the windshield thread posted by VIVID. FWIW, I experience a clicking sound that comes from the front passenger seat belt receptacle. When it's not in use or pressed against the seat, it makes a slight rattling sound that took me about a while to figure out.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:24 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by dflores
I'd check out the windshield thread posted by VIVID. FWIW, I experience a clicking sound that comes from the front passenger seat belt receptacle. When it's not in use or pressed against the seat, it makes a slight rattling sound that took me about a while to figure out.
^^^^ +1 on this.

I had the same noise hunt too. The actual seat-belt insert itself, if twisted around, will make noise as well as it contacts the pillar.

My G is fairly quiet inside, and any little noise seems amplified. Additionally, often the noises seem to come from somewhere other than the actual source. Weird...

Think sunglasses in their overhead console holder.

Sean
Old 01-17-2016, 03:45 PM
SheLLz
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The dealership will fix it for you. They did mine under the original warranty. Felt tape installed all throughout the dash and now my G is 100% quiet no matter what I ride over. If I hear a noise it's from something I have laying around.
Before having the dealership fix it permanently, I bought the pads to put it between the seat and center console area from amazon and they use to help as well. I still decided to keep the pads there afterwards since it's a b*tch to get stuff between the seats and they have saved me numerous times.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:12 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 263 Likes on 220 Posts
The dealer did all of this under warranty? That's pretty generous.

They replaced my headlight under warranty a few days ago because it had accrued some moisture inside, and I felt fortunate. Your dash dis-assembly/applying felt/re-assembly probably took alot of time.

Quick Reply: The interior noise is getting worse and I can't take it anymore