Driver side door does not open, no resistance

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:23 PM
roro4848
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver side door does not open, no resistance

Howdy,

Today, in the middle of a snow storm, my car wouldn't start via remote starter. I go to get in the car to start it, but the door won't open. No resistance when pulling handle. I get in from passenger side and try to start, battery is drained. I try to get out, door won't open again No resistance.

I get a boost, I drive around to charge the battery, all the while the door won't open.

After about 30 minutes and the car is toasty warm, the door opens. From inside and outside, I could open the door.

Anybody experience this? Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 240 Likes on 213 Posts
It almost sounds like the locking mechanism froze up on that door, did you try to unlock it with the key also or just the fob?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:03 PM
roro4848
Registered Member

same thing, can't open with key, from inside or outside. After warming up, I can with or without key, from inside and out.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:44 PM
roro4848
Registered Member

Problem came back!

This is a problem I have had with the car for the last two winters. During extreme cold and/or extreme temp. changes, the driver side door will not open. Key, FOB, from inside or outside. Handle has no resistance.

I have to crawl into the car using the passenger side. I then drive into a heated indoor parking at a local movie theater, wait 5 minutes for the car to thaw out. I hear a faint click coming from the door and that's when I know the door is working.

FYI, The battery is brand new (one month old).
Any idea what this is? Anyone suffered the same problem?

Thanks for your help
Old 01-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 240 Likes on 213 Posts
Actuator or something is probably weak/freezing, probably going to want to at the least take the door apart and clean/lube everything inside.
The following users liked this post:
roro4848 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:38 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Frozen locking actuator. That's it.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:23 PM
racetrack

Hello, roro4848
I have had exactly the same experience this past two winters, with the exception that my last car wash had been about one week before the cold snap that saw me struggling over the center console--watch that gear shifter--to get into the driver's seat. The problem first occurred this season in minus 5 C temperatures. The problem went away with temps around 0 C and above, but came back when the deep freeze hit--between -15 C and -25 C. I park at nights in a warm garage, which fixes the problem until parking in the cold outside.

I noticed the same lack of feel with the inside and outside door handles. Finally in desperation, I left the drivers door unlocked when outside and had no problem getting into the car hours later. Once in the car, I cycled the door lock back and forth. Half amazed, the locking system worked normally from then on. I then starting locking my car again. A day later with the car parked and fully locked in -17 C temps for several hours, I had no problem unlocking and getting into the car.

So, try this quick fix: Lock any documents or valuables in the glove box. Let the car stand in freezing temperatures with the driver's door unlocked. After a couple of hours, get into the car and lock the door. Hopefully, you will find that the door can now be locked and unlocked normally. Hoping this helps someone!
Old 02-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Can you unlock the car with the manual key?
Old 02-06-2019, 02:13 AM
racetrack

Hello, Corprin,
I recently responded to your question re: did I try to use the door key to unlock. It never occurred to me to give that a try, as I was certain that there was no mechanical connection between the key lock and the door latch assembly. I happened up a great youtube vid of a G37 door latch removal and I learned that I was wrong. There is indeed a mechanical rod between the door key and the door latch mechanism. If I have to deal with a frozen lock again, I will certainly give that a try. Here is the link to the youtube vid:

Cheers!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4230290

uts common with our cars in winter.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:24 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts
Couldn't open my rear drivers door yesterday until it warmed up a bit. Normal esp after melting snow or freezing rain.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:13 AM
gord27
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I just wanted to say this happened to me a week or two back. I searched and found the solution so I didn't post about it. In my case, the key didn't work in the door. I left it in my non-heated but house attached garage for over a week and it was still frozen. I don't drive my car often in the winter so thankfully the next time I needed it the temps were above 0 so it opened no problem. I also never tried driving it for more than 10 minutes after it froze but it probably would have re-frozen if I had. This is my 4th winter with the car and I feel like I've been through every kind of weather. Guess I just got lucky in the past.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:20 PM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Solution to non Opening Drivers Door in the Cold

Originally Posted by gord27
I just wanted to say this happened to me a week or two back. I searched and found the solution so I didn't post about it. In my case, the key didn't work in the door. I left it in my non-heated but house attached garage for over a week and it was still frozen. I don't drive my car often in the winter so thankfully the next time I needed it the temps were above 0 so it opened no problem. I also never tried driving it for more than 10 minutes after it froze but it probably would have re-frozen if I had. This is my 4th winter with the car and I feel like I've been through every kind of weather. Guess I just got lucky in the past.
Had the same problem on the recent cold snap. My solution, can of silicone or PB blaster, i used a water replacing silicone lubricant from Walmart. I bought some plastic straws but i didn't need them as the nozzle extension that comes with the can was long enough. Wind the window down at least 3/4 down. Use a high powered flashlight to see in the space from the window. Carefully slide the nozzle extension into the space being careful not to lose the extension, and position it over the actuator areas. There appears to be a foam rubber part in there about halfway the length of the door so try and miss that. Give a few squirts of the lubricant. The silicone likely wont harm other parts of the door interior. Haven't had a problem since, with some 15 degree days, and all other functions of the door are ok. I did get some on the window but thats minor, deep clean in the spring. Haven't washed it either, and waiting for some more frigid weather to see what it does. It appears to have temporarily avoided buying an actuator or taking the door apart. I'll post back if it freezes again.
The following 2 users liked this post by photopro:
Baadnewsburr (02-14-2019), mercury_blues (02-24-2023)
Old 02-14-2019, 02:51 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by photopro
Had the same problem on the recent cold snap. My solution, can of silicone or PB blaster, i used a water replacing silicone lubricant from Walmart. I bought some plastic straws but i didn't need them as the nozzle extension that comes with the can was long enough. Wind the window down at least 3/4 down. Use a high powered flashlight to see in the space from the window. Carefully slide the nozzle extension into the space being careful not to lose the extension, and position it over the actuator areas. There appears to be a foam rubber part in there about halfway the length of the door so try and miss that. Give a few squirts of the lubricant. The silicone likely wont harm other parts of the door interior. Haven't had a problem since, with some 15 degree days, and all other functions of the door are ok. I did get some on the window but thats minor, deep clean in the spring. Haven't washed it either, and waiting for some more frigid weather to see what it does. It appears to have temporarily avoided buying an actuator or taking the door apart. I'll post back if it freezes again.
thanks for this detailed explanation, lots of people have had this issue i think (myself included) and its so helpful to know how to actually go about doing this
Old 01-17-2020, 05:34 AM
SirRaggingFire
Registered Member

Have had this happen with my G twice now, the first time I got it to thaw out, but this last time I looked here and found this thread, was able to get it to open by turning the key in the lock a few times, and then hitting the lock unlock button on my fob a few times. I'm sure this situation is different for everyone depending on temperature and other conditions. But I defend appreciate everyone's ideas on here. 😁😁

Quick Reply: Driver side door does not open, no resistance