G37 Sedan

Driver side door does not open, no resistance

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 06:14 AM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
I had this happen twice or so to me last winter. It wouldn't open from drivers side (from inside or outside, with actual key or button on door or key fob). I ended up having to crawl across a couple times from passenger side. Ended up bringing it to a shop and they had it inside for a couple days before they could look at it. Couldn't find the problem and they figured it was from me washing the car and condensation freezing on the assembly part.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:27 AM
Lokosis
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had this problem for a few winters as well.

Spray a generous amount of lithium grease in the door actuator and you won't have the problem until it wears off by next winter. Works for me.
The following users liked this post:
ngolbuff (01-21-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 09:30 AM
dirtnapper56
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey bud, it's probably condensation forming on the rubber weather seal that freezes the door shut. This happened to my car all the time. If you can take a cloth with some type of deicer or lubricant to the weather stripping, it should stop. Getting it unfrozen is tough. I had to spray deicer into the door jam AFTER opening the rear driver side door. It was annoying and messy. Good luck though
Old 01-14-2023, 09:47 AM
JimmyD750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtnapper56
Hey bud, it's probably condensation forming on the rubber weather seal that freezes the door shut. This happened to my car all the time. If you can take a cloth with some type of deicer or lubricant to the weather stripping, it should stop. Getting it unfrozen is tough. I had to spray deicer into the door jam AFTER opening the rear driver side door. It was annoying and messy. Good luck though
nope. Not the problem everyone is having.

but what you’re referring to as far as the weather seal freezing, that is avoided by spreading a little silicone on a rag and wiping down the surface of the seal. Do this yearly as regular winter maintenance to all your cars, actually.
The following users liked this post:
mercury_blues (02-24-2023)