G37 Sedan

Advice on 2013 journey sedan exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 12:17 AM
15jeffreyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on 2013 journey sedan exhaust

Hey guys, I need advice or any pointers on exhaust systems for my sedan. Little by little I'm gonna be upgrading her. I heard stillen is good, but I really want a performance exhaust, giving the car the best airflow. I don't want to have my car sounding ricey either. Thanks guys, let's see what replies I get.

Last edited by 15jeffreyr; 12-07-2015 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Mistitle
Old 12-07-2015, 08:32 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by 15jeffreyr
Hey guys, I need advice or any pointers on exhaust systems for my sedan. Little by little I'm gonna be upgrading her. I heard stillen is good, but I really want a performance exhaust, giving the car the best airflow. I don't want to have my car sounding ricey either. Thanks guys, let's see what replies I get.
Hi Jeffrey, welcome to the site!
I'm moving this to the sedan folder for more replies.
On a budget the TopSpeed Pro 1 is good, but one of the best would be Fast Intentions, a high quality full catback setup, but there is a pretty good lead time for those.
Brad
Old 12-07-2015, 09:11 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
This past weekend i just installed fast-intentions high flow cats and complete cat-back with 18" resonators.

It surprisingly sounds completely stock when steadily cruising at 60, 70 & 80 mph. No cabin drone at all. Absolutely 0 rasp throughout the rev range.

Cold start it sounds deep. Once it warms up its pretty tame. A little louder than factory but it doesn't sound like a ****ty 4 banger idling loud. It's very subtle.

Wide open throttle in town and on the highway makes me that's when it makes some noise

I first wanted the Top Speed Pro1 Y-Back, but i didn't like how it was only a y-back and not a cat-back. You would have to buy a Y-pipe or reuse factory and i didn't want that.

Than i had my eyes set on Z1 High flow cats + Invidia Q300 exhaust. Price for the hfc was cheap at $388. The Invidia Q300 is a nice exhaust with a X-pipe crossover for about $875.

But i luckily managed to get a awesome deal on a pair of FI HFC + FI Cat-back 18" resonators that i couldn't pass up.

I always wanted the FI exhaust setup but didn't like having to wait 3 months for build time and it is crazy expensive. $1500 for the exhaust $500 for the high flow cats. I picked mine up used and got it within a week lol. Saved like $600 too

Last edited by qmantran; 12-07-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,717 Likes on 3,523 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
It surprisingly sounds completely stock when steadily cruising at 60, 70 & 80 mph. No cabin drone at all. Absolutely 0 rasp throughout the rev range.
Well... there's no rasp, I'd agree with that. However, there most certainly is highway drone. Personally, I think it's reasonable, as long as you're maintaining speed or not giving throttle to high gears at low rev.

Cold start it sounds deep. Once it warms up its pretty tame.
No, at cold start it makes a truly horrible racket, like a can of nails. Once it warms up, it sounds wonderful, but not "tame" by any measure. The noise is intoxicating, though. Sometimes more worthy than the car itself.

A little louder than factory but it doesn't sound like a ****ty 4 banger idling loud. It's very subtle.
It is a lot louder than factory. You're right that it doesn't sound like a 4-banger... but that's because it isn't. I can think of a lot of adjectives to use for the full FI exhaust, but "subtle" isn't one of them, LOL.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:41 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Well... there's no rasp, I'd agree with that. However, there most certainly is highway drone. Personally, I think it's reasonable, as long as you're maintaining speed or not giving throttle to high gears at low rev.

No, at cold start it makes a truly horrible racket, like a can of nails. Once it warms up, it sounds wonderful, but not "tame" by any measure. The noise is intoxicating, though. Sometimes more worthy than the car itself.

It is a lot louder than factory. You're right that it doesn't sound like a 4-banger... but that's because it isn't. I can think of a lot of adjectives to use for the full FI exhaust, but "subtle" isn't one of them, LOL.
Lol you're right. On cold start the first 10 seconds it sounds horrible. When i first started it up after finishing the install i thought it was a exhaust leak and wasted another 30 minutes trying to tighten the hfc bolts.

I started it up again and actually let it get to closed loop idle and it quieted down a lot.

Once it completely idles and the rpm drops to 700-800 my car is quiet... very tame in my opinion. I'd have to upload videos to show you.

I have absolutely no drone on highway speeds though. I wonder if your 2.5" is contributing to your slight highway drone? I have the 2.25" with 18" resonators and there's no audible drone cruising.

Cruising and idle i don't consider it "a lot" louder than factory. At WOT or partial throttle to accelerate yes.

Than again i have a 7AT with 2.25" and 18" resonators.

I believe you have a 6 spd with 2.5" and not sure about your resonators but i think that's why yours is louder
Old 12-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

6MT with 2.5" pipes instead of 2.25". Same 18" resonators, but my FI cats are resonated. I do believe the perception changes a lot between 7AT and 6MT. Except when you're in Park, your engine is always under some kind of load, whereas I might just have the clutch engaged.

So... apples and different apples. And it's entirely possible the wider pipes make for more highway drone than otherwise. Although I suspect the difference here is more a matter of personal opinion than actual noise.

Also, you live in Dallas and I live in NY. This morning it was 30*F outside... making the cold start truly cold. This time of year, it takes a lot more than 10 seconds to warm up. Five minutes at idle, or two miles of driving... two numbers I just made up out of thin air.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-07-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:39 AM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
You boys really aren't getting me very excited to install my fi-cbe lol.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:03 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
You boys really aren't getting me very excited to install my fi-cbe lol.
Install it and give us your opinion. Do you have resonated high flow cats or non resonated? 6spd or 7at? 18", 12" or no resonators on the catback? 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust system?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Install it and give us your opinion. Do you have resonated high flow cats or non resonated? 6spd or 7at? 18", 12" or no resonators on the catback? 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust system?
You didn't ask him if it was polished or not? JK, you certainly got the options covered.

Here's another way to look at it. If I were to rate between hate-it (0) and love-it (100), then I would rate the OEM exhaust at 30 and the FI setup at 89. I really want to give the FI exhaust an "A", but the winter-enhanced creaks and groans last well into getting the car warmed up... and that's a minor grievance. Totally willing to accept that, because otherwise it's amazing.

There's always a compromise, in every mod.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:38 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Z1 non resonated hfc, Polished 2.25", 18" resonators, 7spAuto. Think I might install tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:17 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
Z1 non resonated hfc, Polished 2.25", 18" resonators, 7spAuto. Think I might install tomorrow.
I have the same FI exhaust sitting in my basement -- I'm trying really hard to wait until spring to install it .... this thread has me looking at the exhaust right now and tempted to install it sooner

I just got new Vibrant gaskets delivered for it, too. I picked up the FI exhaust from another forum member
Old 12-09-2015, 12:25 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
My FI CBE is suppose to ship sometime this week. Hopefully in the next couple of days. It will be installed that night after it hits my front porch. Three months is loooong wait but i'm sure it will be worth it....
Old 12-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
I am soon looking into getting a exhaust, I was thinking top speed y back and hfc's or a full ark catback paired with art pipes, heard plenty of ark videos and they are great sounding exhaust for our cars, motordyne is truly the best and meistechaft but pricey, ark is about 1300 from a vendor
Old 12-10-2015, 06:22 AM
15jeffreyr

I checked out fast intentions, I think I'll stick to that. Saving up starting now. Also if I needed to for any given reason, after installing FI exhaust, could I switch it back to stock? If not it's ok, just wondering. Thanks btw for the suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:23 AM
15jeffreyr

Originally Posted by blnewt
Hi Jeffrey, welcome to the site!
I'm moving this to the sedan folder for more replies.
On a budget the TopSpeed Pro 1 is good, but one of the best would be Fast Intentions, a high quality full catback setup, but there is a pretty good lead time for those.
Brad
Thanks, appreciate the input. I'll go with the FI exhaust.😁

Quick Reply: Advice on 2013 journey sedan exhaust