G37 Sedan

GTR overlay fail

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 AM
yonith

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GTR overlay fail

I took Bluebat's gtr overlays to my local tint shop today. This is a reputable place that has been around a while and who did the tints on my windows. Sadly they were unable to install the tail light overlays. They said the material just wasn't laying properly and would have come up. He wasn't comfortable putting his name on this install with how it would have looked. Needless to say I'm very disappointed especially with so many having this job successfully done.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:00 PM
astat4

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Buddy, putting that thing on was no joke I had so much trouble on the edges that there wrinkles, bubbles whole lotta **** ups.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:09 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Sorry to hear but imo the gtr overlay as a mod itself is a fail. Just looks so tacky and ugly. Overlay or spray tinted. Ugly is ugly.

I would recommend you to not waste your money and just leave it. Or if you do something, don't do the gtr wanna be overlays.

I don't get why it's even called gtr overlays because even with it installed properly it looks uglier than a gtr lol

Only my opinion of course.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 PM
astat4

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
The overlays only look good on a black g37. And maybe red. But that's it
Old 12-03-2015, 02:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Yeah, I did the overlays, came out good as far as the install but my DIY for painted GTR taillights looks 100x better, actually looks factory when you see it in person. Here's the link if you're interested I can still ship out the cutouts too.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ils-sedan.html
The following users liked this post:
paulmnly (12-08-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 04:26 PM
yonith

I think I'm just gonna leave it be (stock) for now. Maybe I'll look into painting the tails in the future but being that my car is white, color choice is going to be tough. I think black tails would just look tacky with the white car. Anyway I just ordered Hotchkis sways as a Christmas gift for myself so all is well! Super psyched about this mod!
Old 12-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I got lucky and found someone selling there 180 modded tails and bought them. They are subtle but definitely different. Evil Eye tails is what they are called. Goes with my evil theme. Demon Eyes in my headlights and Evil Eye tails. Plus I am Evil!!
The following users liked this post:
RexHavoc (12-06-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 05:46 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Originally Posted by yonith
I think I'm just gonna leave it be (stock) for now. Maybe I'll look into painting the tails in the future but being that my car is white, color choice is going to be tough. I think black tails would just look tacky with the white car. Anyway I just ordered Hotchkis sways as a Christmas gift for myself so all is well! Super psyched about this mod!
Oh man you are gonna like those sway bars a lot. It was the first thing i did to my G when i bought it. It made my G37S go from a really good handling car to awesome. I never driven a small car like a miata, s2k or brz/frs but my G really handles well and feels like a much smaller car when going around corners and turning

How much did you get them for? I picked them up used for $300 locally. I seen them going for like $375 new lately
Old 12-03-2015, 10:12 PM
yonith

Originally Posted by qmantran
Oh man you are gonna like those sway bars a lot. It was the first thing i did to my G when i bought it. It made my G37S go from a really good handling car to awesome. I never driven a small car like a miata, s2k or brz/frs but my G really handles well and feels like a much smaller car when going around corners and turning

How much did you get them for? I picked them up used for $300 locally. I seen them going for like $375 new lately
I got them off Amazon for $370 with free two day shipping (gets here Monday bc of weekend). So I have until Tuesday to decide on stiffness settings. Might just go medium on both bc I'd like to preserve ride quality reasonably. Decisions decisions...
Old 12-03-2015, 11:14 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

I got them off Amazon for $370 with free two day shipping (gets here Monday bc of weekend). So I have until Tuesday to decide on stiffness settings. Might just go medium on both bc I'd like to preserve ride quality reasonably. Decisions decisions...
I went stiffest front and rear
Old 12-04-2015, 12:04 AM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Swaybars will not affect ride quality. But set them too stiff and you'll transfer weight (during cornering) abruptly. That could make the G seem skittish on high speed turns. My suggestion is to keep the front bar soft and try the rear bar on medium to get a feel for the increased rotation you'll get from stiffening the rear slightly.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:06 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dkmura
Swaybars will not affect ride quality. But set them too stiff and you'll transfer weight (during cornering) abruptly. That could make the G seem skittish on high speed turns. My suggestion is to keep the front bar soft and try the rear bar on medium to get a feel for the increased rotation you'll get from stiffening the rear slightly.
You feel bumps a hell of a lot more with stiff sway bars
Old 12-04-2015, 07:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
You feel bumps a hell of a lot more with stiff sway bars
No, that's just not true.

On a scale of one to 10, your "hell of a lot" is a 10, when the reality is more like a 1 or 2.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:18 AM
eurtsx

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by astat4
The overlays only look good on a black g37. And maybe red. But that's it
Mmm it looks great one white as well. I think if done right (painted), it can look great on all colors.

The following 3 users liked this post by eurtsx:
ETrev (12-04-2015), flipmode007 (12-15-2015), therzdae (12-09-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:14 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
No, that's just not true.

On a scale of one to 10, your "hell of a lot" is a 10, when the reality is more like a 1 or 2.
Hmm there's a bad bump when i turn into my neighborhood. My front left tire always hits it first because the uneven pavement is in the middle of the turn.

It's a hard enough bump to trigger my dash cam to save the recording because it thinks its a impact.

Usually uneven roads and bumps is where i notice it most. Like driving down a 1 way road and half of the lane you are in is imperfect and bumpy. The sway bar transfers the motion to the other side of the car even though the road is perfect and makes the ride feel a bit bumpy/harsh

Quick Reply: GTR overlay fail