G37 Sedan

New to me 2013 G37xs, impression so far

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:04 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
New to me 2013 G37xs, impression so far

First, please do not call me a troll or anything of the sort. Just a new owner that is comparing the feeling of this new ride to his old.

My old ride was a 2004 Lexus IS300, fully loaded with all options. I sold it at 110,000 miles

My new ride is a 2013 Infiniti G37XS, fully loaded with every option including tech. It now has 19,000 miles

To me the Infiniti does not do anything as well. It does not drive luxuriously, as even with the stock suspension it is very stiff on rough pavement. It also does not do sporty (fun) well as it seems it lacks a soul.

Yes, the little Lexus only had a 3.0 I6 with 215hp and 218tq. However this engine always had a feel of (step on it, I want to have fun). When you stepped on the gas the little engine got up and go. It made you feel like you could take on engines twice its size.

The Infiniti does have 328hp and I believe 267tq. But, the car does not have that feeling that it wants to go out and have some fun. It just feels like it would rather cruise around and not be bothered.

The little Lexus just wants you to throw it around corners, even if you shouldnt. It wants you to change lanes quickly, go around corners, and again have some fun. It makes you feel like your in a performance car and its eager to go out and show you what its got.

The Infiniti just feels bloated, it doesn't have that passion. It seems like it just feel happier cruising and listening to some tunes going around the corner or switching lanes.

I truly had not been inclined to step on it or take the corner a little fast (not at all) with the Infiniti. It just does not have that feeling to it. Yes, I read all the reviews about this car and the first two days, I wanted to see what it had but now, eh I have no feeling to do so

While the Lexus always wanted you to see what it had and it rewarded you with satisfaction and a smile on your face. In addition, the Lexus when cruising had a more compliant ride to it. The Infiniti has a luxerious feel to it, until you hit a bump then bam.

All and all it just seems the Lexus was more of a kids car in stock form and wanted to go out and party. While the Infiniti is more mature, already had its fun, and now it is time to relax.

One thing that the Infiniti has that I love is a much nicer interior and amazing technology compared to the Lexus.

Also, as a 33 year old, the Infiniti looks more mature and professional compared to the little Lexus.

Just my thoughts

Last edited by mjnoles1; 12-02-2015 at 07:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
skeener (12-02-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 06:45 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I came from an 04 IS300 as well. I loved that car and have concerns with how the X handles, however it is significantly faster, better optioned, and with suspension mods does handle better.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:47 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1

Just my thoughts

Glad you shared, pretty thoughtful post IMO.

That said, the G sedan is often picked out as feeling the sportiest in its segment, although the competition almost always wins overall (usually 3-seires).

Interesting you left out steering, which I think is one of the best things the G does.

As for speed, the car is heavier that you'd think, and torque doesn't happen until higher rpms, so it may not feel as peppy as the IS300. I think you just need to adjust how you drive the car (mash the pedal more ) to better appreciate the performance.

Further, the driving feel could've improved if you went with the RWD Sport model, maybe even more with the 6MT, but understandable if that wasn't in the cards.

Good luck
Old 12-01-2015, 08:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Nice initial post, even though you're not in a happy place.

Sounds like you should have taken a more lengthy test drive. The IS 300 was a great car, IMO they haven't come up with something as exciting since. Similar to the S2000 Honda, Acura & Honda haven't come up with anything since that I'd want to own.
There's things you can do to make the X a bit more lively~Sway bars, especially in the rear, lighter wheels and better tires, better flowing exhaust.
Hopefully you can get to a happy place but trying to replicate the IS will be tough to do as they are quite different animals.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:27 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Not sure why Infiniti decided to make the AWD S a cosmetic upgrade only.

The RWD Sport model is substantially more grounded as it pertains to handling.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:15 AM
salmonslayer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I initially targeted the G37x model because I thought I needed AWD then I saw the XS and though, "must have." Looked like the S model and AWD too, win-win. The X and XS drove the exact same to me and then for giggles I drove the RWD S model. It was game over after. The S model truly felt and handled like a sports sedan. I loved it.

I can understand how you feel about your old is300. That straight 6 engine sure feels more torque down lown, thats just the nature of inline 6 vs a V6. To me, I think my G is better than a comparable 2012 is350. I do love the newer GS350. It may be my next car if I dont pursue a S4.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:30 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about being bashed here for your review and experience. We all have our caveats.

My first G was a 2009 G35x, I was coming from a 2007 MazdaSpeed 3 1st Gen, and I thought the G35 was terrible. It was fat, clumsy, and unpredictable. That lead me to search for the sport model, and I found my 2011 G37xS. The handling was a big improvement over the G35x, and the performance was better as well. I wasn't too thrilled with the auto-manual mode but, the paddle shifters give me enough control of the transmission to quell my pining for a true manual. However, it still paled in comparison to the fun of my Speed3, even though it's quite a bit more powerful. The handling just wasn't there for me. I wasn't confident enough to take it on back-road drives with the Miata and Mini clubs like I had with the Speed3. So, I missed out on all of the drives for the past two years.

That all changed when I added sway bars, Akebono's, coilovers, and wider tires. I can now throw my G into turns with complete confidence. The beauty of this car, for me, is that it already has enough power to thrill. So, improving handling alone eliminates the need for forced induction, making it more of a want. Something I couldn't say about the Speed3, as it handled amazingly and was fast, but not fast enough and the ceiling for improvement was pretty low, expensive, and high-risk.

It sucks that I had to take steps to improve something that I feel Infiniti should have already included in a sports-first-luxury-second car like this. Yet, I can't think of any other car in this segment where you wouldn't have to do the same.

Last edited by ShuuraRG; 12-02-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:53 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Your comments on handling are true for just about any car in the segment with the standard or "base" suspension.

Non sport package equipped 3 series, A4s, MB's etc are all rather lackluster without the optional suspensions.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:43 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Seems you bought the wrong car, and one that's 600 pounds heavier than your old one. The RWD Sport Journey, or the 6MT, would have satisfied the things you find lacking. And it would have provided an excellent platform for tweaking the things that remain. However, you are where you are with the car you have, therefore...

...upgrade the swaybars, get some summer-only tires, and have fun with it.

Strange that you think the G's interior is upscale. I think it's rather cheap looking and too utilitarian. There's more NISSAN here than luxury car. In that context, the Maxima is more luxurious.

And soulless? LOL. Well, perhaps with a stock AWD Sedan. But sometimes I think my modded 6MT has too much soul.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-02-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:01 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The only reason I got a new car is due to get being awd as I just moved to Cleveland for my first winter, If it wasnt for that, then I would of kept the IS300.

Also, someone mentioned it was because the G37 has the base suspension but the IS300 did as well.

Also, what about the lack of eagerness to earn to get up and go? The IS300 just wanted to go and work it, while the G just wants to go about its business
Old 12-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Also, what about the lack of eagerness to earn to get up and go? The IS300 just wanted to go and work it, while the G just wants to go about its business
Perception is everything, which is why so many people are happy with the Scion FRS and the Mini Cooper.

However, that old IS300 was more than 2 seconds slower 0-60 than your new Infiniti. So while it feels like there's a lack of eagerness to get up and go, rest assured that you are getting up and going with far more acceleration than you were before.

Power in the G is more linear. Some like it, some don't. You, apparently, don't like it. Cut yourself some slack, take some time and learn what the car can do. And get some aftermarket swaybars. Seriously. You will be so-o-o-o much more happy after that.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:15 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
^^This, I honestly can't relate to. Even with the G35x, I had no problems with acceleration.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:09 AM
AUR11

There is an issue with throttle lag on my car. I think it has to do with the 7 speed. I drove my old coworkers 07 35x and it felt significantly better than my car in terms of responsiveness. I think I am going to get some HFC's and an Ecutek tune next year and hopefully that will take care of the issues. I had also thought about doing a Level 10 VB upgrade since its 695 bucks and will help the transmission shift firmer and quicker. My gf drives a 6 speed 128i and she thinks her car feels quicker due to the inline 6 and manual transmission. But she also complains that my car doesn't go when you hit the gas.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:12 AM
AUR11

Originally Posted by Rochester
Seems you bought the wrong car, and one that's 600 pounds heavier than your old one. The RWD Sport Journey, or the 6MT, would have satisfied the things you find lacking. And it would have provided an excellent platform for tweaking the things that remain. However, you are where you are with the car you have, therefore...

Strange that you think the G's interior is upscale. I think it's rather cheap looking and too utilitarian. There's more NISSAN here than luxury car. In that context, the Maxima is more luxurious.

And soulless? LOL. Well, perhaps with a stock AWD Sedan. But sometimes I think my modded 6MT has too much soul.
The IS300 did not have a typical Lexus interior. It was extremely dated and mine was fully loaded as well. I miss that car only because you don't see too many around. There are 11 G37x's in my work parking lot right now. At least mine stands out a bit.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

^^this

Originally Posted by AUR11
There is an issue with throttle lag on my car. I think it has to do with the 7 speed. I drove my old coworkers 07 35x and it felt significantly better than my car in terms of responsiveness. I think I am going to get some HFC's and an Ecutek tune next year and hopefully that will take care of the issues. I had also thought about doing a Level 10 VB upgrade since its 695 bucks and will help the transmission shift firmer and quicker. My gf drives a 6 speed 128i and she thinks her car feels quicker due to the inline 6 and manual transmission. But she also complains that my car doesn't go when you hit the gas.
Ever notice nobody complains about throttle lag in the 6MT

Quick Reply: New to me 2013 G37xs, impression so far