G37 Sedan

New to me 2013 G37xs, impression so far

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:41 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
I came away with a different conclusion.

My understanding [now] is the XS coupe contains the following 'SPORT' bits.

• 19 x 8.5-inch, split V-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/45R19 all-season performance tires
  • Sport-tuned suspension with upgraded springs and double piston shock absorbers
  • Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD)
  • Sport brakes (BBK)
  • Sport front fascia
  • Solid magnesium paddle shifters
  • 12-way power driver's sport seat
  • Aluminum pedal accents
I knew 100% I didn't want a coupe. I just got rid of the camaro some months back and was sick of dealing with reclining seats to access the rear. If the G came in 5 dr wagon/hatch arrangement, I'd be all over it. Figure something like the ex35 or fx35 with the 3.7L engine, 6mt, sport suspension. I'm not sure such wagons even exist.

------------

EDIT: I just looked again at the infiniti site for the Q60. The table layout is skewed. The columns for the dots are all shifted left one column. This explains much of the confusion. I even checked in 3 browsers, firefox, chrome and opera. All display similarly.
I think there is some debate on if the xS coupe gets the LSD or Sport Suspension as well. The AWD uses different front shocks, so there would need to be two distinct suspension options on the AWD car.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:40 AM
ginmqi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
The only reason I got a new car is due to get being awd as I just moved to Cleveland for my first winter, If it wasnt for that, then I would of kept the IS300.
People hype up AWD and winter way too much. Proper tires/driving > AWD + No-Season tires. AWD can give false confidence and on bad tires...may actually increase winter driving danger.

Seems like you got the wrong car bro. I'm currently in an Acura TL and have been eyeing the G37 for a bit now as my next car and on the Acurazine forum a helpful discussion ensued where another person told me that the G37xS is only a poser-Sport package. It is inferior to the G37S:

The 2009 sport package (standard on Sport 6MT cars, optional on Journey and X models) now also included larger sport brakes with 4-piston front/2-piston rear calipers with 14-inch (360 mm) ventilated front rotors and 13.8-inch (350 mm) ventilated rear rotors, a new sport wheel design 18-inch (460 mm) for the Sedan and 19-inch (480 mm) on the Coupe, and Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD).

The Sport Package on G37 x AWD Sedans does not include the larger opposed piston brakes, nor does it include the more aggressive steering rack, VLSD, or sport tuned suspension.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Infiniti_G-series_(Q40/Q60)&redirect=no#Fourth_generation_.28V36.2C_2006-2015.29

Also regarding interior/tech, you're comparing a 2013 car to a 2004 car. ANY 2013 car in luxury brands will blow the waters out of any luxury 2004 car. It's 9 years newer.

Not surprising to read about the driving feel. IS300 is much lighter and the G37 is first and foremost a luxury cruiser that is still fairly sporty....it is not meant to be a pure sports driving car. But to me as I will be moving from a 06 TL (260hp, FWD) into a G37 (330hp, RWD) it will definitely be a big upgrade for me personally in performance yet again!

As another poster mentioned, the much heavier AWD version does not add to things.

Good luck with the car and good to read about this review. Looks like if I go with a G37 next I'll definitely be looking for the sport package minus the AWD.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:04 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by ginmqi
People hype up AWD and winter way too much. Proper tires/driving > AWD + No-Season tires. AWD can give false confidence and on bad tires...may actually increase winter driving danger.

Seems like you got the wrong car bro. I'm currently in an Acura TL and have been eyeing the G37 for a bit now as my next car and on the Acurazine forum a helpful discussion ensued where another person told me that the G37xS is only a poser-Sport package. It is inferior to the G37S:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Infiniti_G-series_(Q40/Q60)&redirect=no#Fourth_generation_.28V36.2C_2006-2015.29

Also regarding interior/tech, you're comparing a 2013 car to a 2004 car. ANY 2013 car in luxury brands will blow the waters out of any luxury 2004 car. It's 9 years newer.

Not surprising to read about the driving feel. IS300 is much lighter and the G37 is first and foremost a luxury cruiser that is still fairly sporty....it is not meant to be a pure sports driving car. But to me as I will be moving from a 06 TL (260hp, FWD) into a G37 (330hp, RWD) it will definitely be a big upgrade for me personally in performance yet again!

As another poster mentioned, the much heavier AWD version does not add to things.

Good luck with the car and good to read about this review. Looks like if I go with a G37 next I'll definitely be looking for the sport package minus the AWD.
A fellow 3G TL owner! I too recently made the move from a 08 TL to a 11 G37S Sedan. Loving every moment of it. I'm installing Fast-Intentions High Flow Cats and their Cat-back with 18" resonators today!

I still have the TL. I returned it back to bone stock and use it as a daily driver for work during the weekdays. Fridays and weekends I only drive the G

I got to say that when my G37S (7AT, RWD Sedan) was bone stock, it handled way better than my 08 TL did when I had it lowered on coilovers and a progress 24mm rear sway bar.

Once I added Hotchkis front & rear sway bars to my G it was like driving a damn go-cart. Turn-in is tight, can't feel any body roll at all and driving it is something I look forward to doing!
Old 12-05-2015, 10:12 AM
ginmqi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
A fellow 3G TL owner! I too recently made the move from a 08 TL to a 11 G37S Sedan. Loving every moment of it. I'm installing Fast-Intentions High Flow Cats and their Cat-back with 18" resonators today!

I still have the TL. I returned it back to bone stock and use it as a daily driver for work during the weekdays. Fridays and weekends I only drive the G

I got to say that when my G37S (7AT, RWD Sedan) was bone stock, it handled way better than my 08 TL did when I had it lowered on coilovers and a progress 24mm rear sway bar.

Once I added Hotchkis front & rear sway bars to my G it was like driving a damn go-cart. Turn-in is tight, can't feel any body roll at all and driving it is something I look forward to doing!
3G TL FTW

Styling wise the 3G TL is friggin sexy...and honestly if I can get the G37 drivetrain (motor, trans, suspension) in a 3G TL body (07/08 TL-S with the A spec and all the tasteful mods) it would truly be a dream car! Best of both worlds.

Interesting to see you still kept the TL though. I'm still at point where I can't justify owning 2 cars, let alone two luxury cars (entry level sure, but still luxury brands!). Only way is to just have a fun DD (G37S) and then a pure sports car for weekend/vacation fun (S2000, 370Z, Corvette, etc.)

I'm also debating if I should get the 07/08 TL-S from my 06 base but I don't think it would be a wise choice.....seeing how the G37s are becoming more affordable each year and for not much more than 15k you can have a base G37 sedan with the 330hp and RWD....why spend just about the same for a TL-S with 286hp and FWD...

Honda's downside has been lack of RWD sport sedans and relatively meek power output compared to comparable Lexus/Infiniti/BMW/Audi competitors
Old 12-05-2015, 01:18 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually the IS300 in 2004 was dated, it was a dated no nonsense interior when it was brand new. The G37xs would be considered sporty compared to the TL as the TL was a huge boat, the G37xs is a just a smaller, slightly sporter boat.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:23 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

I was on the highway today and stepped on the gas, and it did get up and go strongly. However once it hit that 80mph or so speed, I felt the urge to slow down as it did not have that stable/rock solid feel cruising at that speed. Will the oem non "x" rear sway bar improve the stability feel of highway driving?
Old 12-05-2015, 02:21 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
You're correct that tires make a huge difference, but that's true with every platform/vehicle. AWD has definitely made a difference in my experience - MazdaSpeed 3 to G35/7x.

on the Acurazine forum a helpful discussion ensued where another person told me that the G37xS is only a poser-Sport package. It is inferior to the G37S:
That should be obvious. However, drive a G37x , then a G37xS and you will notice the difference. Without the sports package, the car feels heavy, unresponsive, and rolls tremendously through turns. The sports package may not be as good as the RWD model, but it makes a difference for the AWD platform. Having 4 doors and AWD is a very practical choice to many. An optional sports package gives it just enough handling to deliver confidence when out on a spirited drive.

Not surprising to read about the driving feel. IS300 is much lighter and the G37 is first and foremost a luxury cruiser that is still fairly sporty
I will have to disagree with you on that. The G is a sports sedan first. I can't say the same about the Q series (engine too loud complaints prompted Infiniti to "quiet" it down). Though, your statement is very true for Lexus!

Question, do you own a G or have experience driving the different models with varying packages?

Last edited by ShuuraRG; 12-05-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:52 PM
salmonslayer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
I was on the highway today and stepped on the gas, and it did get up and go strongly. However once it hit that 80mph or so speed, I felt the urge to slow down as it did not have that stable/rock solid feel cruising at that speed. Will the oem non "x" rear sway bar improve the stability feel of highway driving?
The rear sway could help but if you're feeling stability issues going that fast it could be low quality tires. Good tires make all the difference in handling. Also are you on 17inch wheels? My G37s feels solid even going past 80...rarely, lol.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:05 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by salmonslayer
The rear sway could help but if you're feeling stability issues going that fast it could be low quality tires. Good tires make all the difference in handling. Also are you on 17inch wheels? My G37s feels solid even going past 80...rarely, lol.
The stock wheels on the XS is 18" wheels. I am still on the original OEM tires.

Any other opinions on if the rear sway bar will help with straight line stability at highway speed?
Old 12-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by salmonslayer
Also are you on 17inch wheels?
If it's a stock xS, then he has 18x7.5" duckfeet on each corner. (LOL, we just posted the same thing at the exact same time.)

One or more wheel may be off balance, but from the way he's writing, I think he's just timid. Not that I blame him... I find hard acceleration and tight handling situations a lot more fun than highway runs at 80+ mph. Different strokes, different folks.

OP, new swaybar(s) will have no affect on straight-line speeds. However, sweeping on/off ramps... absolutely. If there's a familiar ramp that you used to get out of your comfort zone at 40 mph, that will probably move up to 50 mph.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:47 PM
salmonslayer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If it's a stock xS, then he has 18x7.5" duckfeet on each corner. (LOL, we just posted the same thing at the exact same time.)

One or more wheel may be off balance, but from the way he's writing, I think he's just timid. Not that I blame him... I find hard acceleration and tight handling situations a lot more fun than highway runs at 80+ mph. Different strokes, different folks.

OP, new swaybar(s) will have no affect on straight-line speeds. However, sweeping on/off ramps... absolutely. If there's a familiar ramp that you used to get out of your comfort zone at 40 mph, that will probably move up to 50 mph.
Yes sir, I agree might be just not used to the car yet. Coming from my prvious vehicle, 13 F150 slightly lifted and 33" tires, the acceleration of the G scared me the first few times I got on it from a stop and highway speeding. I gripped the wheel with both hands. I wasn't comfortable with the power and speed. Now, I feel like I want a tad more, hence my questions on CAI and HFC. OP log some drive time and I am sure you'll feel the car is stable. It is a very good hwy cruiser.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:46 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

I am not sure if its me not being used to the power as its just cruising at 80, which isnt terribly fast. My 04 is300 was solid at that speed. My Mom used to have a 2008 BMW 335i convertbile and that car was very solid at that speed, I could cruise at that speed and I didnt feel i needed a lot of adjustments going straight.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
OP, something may be amiss w/ your alignment, tires may have some tramlining going on, or possibly are worn to the point where they aren't tracking well at speed.

FWIW my RWD Sedan feels very stable at speeds well over 80 mph for extended times, tracks true and is buttoned down, I just have RWD sways and coilovers, but it has been solid w/ OEM suspension too. You should feel confident at speed in your G, at least straight lining. What tires are you rolling right now, if it's the stock RSAs then that may be the culprit, those tires suck.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:17 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
OP- Hotchkis sways will dramatically change your car. Everything from common turns to highway speeds. Drove interstate Tuesday and Thursday and hit speeds well above 80 and felt 100% control of car.

If you're still on the OEM Dunlops, that's part of the problem too.

Upgrade the sways and get new tires. Report back. I'll bet you a case of beer you're happy.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
This thread is turning into a broken record.

Sways and tires.
Sways and tires.
Sways and tires.
Sways and tires.
Sways and tires.
Sways and tires.

Quick Reply: New to me 2013 G37xs, impression so far