G37 Sedan

Front sonar? (Read 1st before eye roll)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:38 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Front sonar? (Read 1st before eye roll)

So I get home with a load of groceries and back the G into the garage. I want to leave room for unpacking so I back in before the the rear sensors start bleating red. I lower the garage door and go in the house. I go back a few hours laters and actually see how close the garage door was to hitting the front of car the (YIKES!) so I turn the car on and put it in reverse. When I do that I start to here a beep (I know the rear sensors) but I look at the camera and at one point when I get out of reverse I see a message saying "Check Front of Car" or "Check Front". I was completely freaked out. Needless to say I tried getting the car close again to snap a pic of the message and lost my nerve before. Anybody ever see the message?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:59 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Honestly can't say I have..... Don't have a garage but none the less have found cars inches away from my bumper in parking lost before.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:46 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Nope, not for front of car, and I parked in world's tiniest garage for a year.
The following users liked this post:
Briguypizzapie (05-13-2020)
Old 11-18-2015, 10:36 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen.

This thread is worthless without pics!
The following users liked this post:
Briguypizzapie (05-13-2020)
Old 11-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
I had that come up before, but was backed into a parking spot with nothing on front of me. I assumed just a glitch.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:22 PM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I've seen check surroundings for safety but never anything specific to the front.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Riley
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that at startup, the front sonar (for cruise control) does a power up self check.
I also suspect that with something that close to the sonar device in the bumper, it fails the self check.

Just a WAG.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:59 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Riley
I suspect that at startup, the front sonar (for cruise control) does a power up self check.
I also suspect that with something that close to the sonar device in the bumper, it fails the self check.

Just a WAG.
That seems more likely. I was backed into my garage with about half an inch clearance between the front bumper and the door.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:34 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Wouldn't front sonar only be included with the Tech Package?

Not sure but I've never got that message. Also, my garage door won't come down if I'm too close because the sensor beam for the door hits my front lip...so I've got that going for me...

Sean
Old 11-19-2015, 12:07 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Tonight I am going to back the car in tight and lay the garbage cans in front of the bumper to try and get the message back up so I can snap a pic.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:22 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
isnt the front sonar for the cruise control distance management? Shouldnt be any sensors there for parking. Strange.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:24 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Who cares, these new sensors are retarded anyway, how about you actually look when driving
Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AARONHL
Who cares, these new sensors are retarded anyway, how about you actually look when driving
Front proximity sensor is nice so you don't accidentally park too close to another vehicle when pulling into parking spaces.

The tech package with intelligent cruise control is pretty neat. I have it in my 2011. Set the speed and the only input you need to provide is steering. The car automatically brakes and accelerates for you. You can also select the distance you would like.

Its nice in traffic as long as speeds don't drop below 20mph. The cruise control will disengage when speed drops below 20mph
Old 11-20-2015, 02:02 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
Front proximity sensor is nice so you don't accidentally park too close to another vehicle when pulling into parking spaces.

The tech package with intelligent cruise control is pretty neat. I have it in my 2011. Set the speed and the only input you need to provide is steering. The car automatically brakes and accelerates for you. You can also select the distance you would like.

Its nice in traffic as long as speeds don't drop below 20mph. The cruise control will disengage when speed drops below 20mph
I see you're in Dallas. You must have the patience of a saint. I have used the ICC once in traffic. Once. The minimum distance is such that drivers will repeatedly jump in between you and the car which was in front of you, causing the ICC to brake to the appropriate distance, allowing for another driver to repeat the process, and eventually leading to an aneurysm. No thanks. I reserve my ICC for road trips only. It's fantastic on trips through West Texas with speed limits up to 85mph.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:14 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nelledge
I see you're in Dallas. You must have the patience of a saint. I have used the ICC once in traffic. Once. The minimum distance is such that drivers will repeatedly jump in between you and the car which was in front of you, causing the ICC to brake to the appropriate distance, allowing for another driver to repeat the process, and eventually leading to an aneurysm. No thanks. I reserve my ICC for road trips only. It's fantastic on trips through West Texas with speed limits up to 85mph.
Lol you can actually set the cruise control distance. There's 3 bars. When you see 3 bars that means the maximum distance is set. If i had to guess, i would say 3 bars is about 150 feet distance betweeen you and the car ahead.

2 bars is 100 feet.

1 bar is 50 feet.

I'm not 100% sure if that's exact but that's what it appears to be.

Quick Reply: Front sonar? (Read 1st before eye roll)