G37 Sedan

G Sedan X good family car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:17 AM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by booster
I have 9 year old and a 6 year old girls. The bottom of the rear seat is shaped in such way that it is difficult for my 6 year old to buckle herself in when she's using a booster seat. It's mostly because the cushion is to narrow compared to the width of the booster seat. The booster seat ends up covering the buckle. It's a minor inconvenience, otherwise the car is a good family hauler for short trips. I got a 2014 pathfinder at the beginning of this year, and the family by far prefers it to the G37. It's just so much more spacious, and surprisingly better on fuel.
look on Amazon for 3" or 8" seat belt extenders....works perfect for the buckle issue.

OP, I'm new to the G37X platform (2012 base AWD for me), and I really like the car. I've got two kids (8 and 5) with one still in a booster seat and we have room. I'm coming from an 06 M35 so the room is smaller in the G, but overall a good family car. sporty, good mpg's, AWD, etc....
Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by CPJ LB
good mpg's
You're probably the only person on this site I've seen say that, everyone always complaining about mileage instead.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:37 PM
claudiohv

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mmmmm I drive a g37 09 6MT I get 23 MPG I consider good mileage, for 300 Hp lol I have a Nissan rogue as well I get 35MPG, but it has like 160??(hp). I have two kids as well we use the G now, wife as well likes it better when we are in the G. Rogue is good, but honestly a bit boring.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
^^^
Highway drivers. But for the around-the-town crowd with a heavy foot, this is a 18 mpg car.

Not that I care one way or the other, just saying, that's what it is.
The following users liked this post:
claudiohv (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 10:57 PM
claudiohv

^^^^i don't know what you call highway drivers, but this is more less what my commute looks like.
Attached Thumbnails G Sedan X good family car?-image.jpg  
Old 09-11-2015, 12:21 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by claudiohv
^^^^i don't know what you call highway drivers, but this is more less what my commute looks like.
Beddington to one of the dealerships?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:17 AM
claudiohv

Haha! I wish, I run a little gym in that area... But yup I'm surrounded by delearships that's for sure.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:50 AM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
You're probably the only person on this site I've seen say that, everyone always complaining about mileage instead.
LOL... I keep it real

I know it's more of a 'performance' sedan and I have my car slightly modified and tuned. I tend to drive spirited and like to open up the car from time to time, so if I'm able to get 18-20mpg's with my style of driving -- I'm happy with it...the mpg's are an afterthought when I'm behind the wheel.

I have 'commuter' cars to serve the purpose of getting great mpg's when needed....The G is for FUN!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:42 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by claudiohv
^ in decent traffic that is what i would call a freeway commute. i know the Deerfoot can get nasty through Calgary, but in general there are no traffic lights and 100kmh speed limit for ~80% of your commute. fuel consumption in the low-to-mid 20mpg's is very realistic in your case.

i get 20mpg's with 90% city commute (i.e. stop-n-go traffic, lights, etc). as others have said, not unreasonable for a 3700lb car with 330hp. the great part is the range with our big tanks! my last tank was 350 miles and ~3 weeks of driving which is about standard for non-winter driving.
The following users liked this post:
claudiohv (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 10:47 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I've got 3 kids, ages 3, 5, and 6. We have a front-facing car seat in the middle in the back, and a booster on each side. That middle seat makes it hard to buckle in the boosters, but they're getting the hang of it (it's been a month), and enjoy it better than the van (2011 AWD Sienna).

As for mileage, I put on a bit over 120 miles per day, 4 days a week. I wanted something I could enjoy driving. It's about 3/4 highway and I'm getting 21.5 mpg over that month per the car's computer. The car is new to me, so I'm pretty liberal on the gas, and have never touched cruise control. That said, it gets better mileage than the van, and is much more fun to drive!

EDIT to add it's a 37x

Last edited by the_wolff; 09-12-2015 at 10:47 PM. Reason: details
Old 09-16-2015, 01:19 PM
hayzooos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MistahGuy
How do car seats work on the leather? I just have nightmares of the base ripping my back seat up when the time eventually comes.
From my experience, it's not all that bad, but I don't take the kids in the car much. I drive my 4 year old to school 3 days a week and leave her seat in there all the time. When I take it out, there isn't any damage or anything like that.

Originally Posted by flyng_fool
Get one of these:

Amazon.com : BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector : Car Seat Travel Bags : Baby

They were great for protecting our car.
Agree here as well, those are solid and will help. Basically a necessity if you have infants that might spit up or poop right on through the diaper.

I have 9 year old and a 6 year old girls. The bottom of the rear seat is shaped in such way that it is difficult for my 6 year old to buckle herself in when she's using a booster seat. It's mostly because the cushion is to narrow compared to the width of the booster seat. The booster seat ends up covering the buckle. It's a minor inconvenience, otherwise the car is a good family hauler for short trips. I got a 2014 pathfinder at the beginning of this year, and the family by far prefers it to the G37. It's just so much more spacious, and surprisingly better on fuel.
I've noticed this as well, the backseats of the G are pretty narrow. I think it's that and the fact that car seats now look like they could protect a child from a nuclear bomb. They're huge. Not complaining, just stating a fact. I think my folks put me in a 5 gallon bucket with a hole cut out, at least, that's what they looked like (I'm 32).

My 4 year old sometimes has to shift her seat a bit to get access to the buckle when she's buckling herself in.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:45 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hayzooos

My 4 year old sometimes has to shift her seat a bit to get access to the buckle when she's buckling herself in.

Mine do as well. I'm thinking of picking up a couple of
these extenders these extenders
to help.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:36 PM
Scott B.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey booster, I have a 6 year old and a 9 year old and I have a the same issue with the booster seat thing. The buckle is right up against the booster and is a total pain to do up ... Other wise an awesome car for family and fun !!
Old 09-18-2015, 11:35 AM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny735
Hey guys,

I looked at a G25X and even thought the exterior and interior is the same I just didn't feel there was enough power or enjoyment in the driving experience.

I need AWD for the few snow days we have here.

The 08 G35X has 34K miles and the 09 G37X has 43k miles.

How is the fuel comsumption,good car for the family?
how much are those that you are looking at? If I were you I would continue to keep looking around to find a 10+ because of the facelift upfront, much nicer! You should also get better fuel economy with the G37 vs. the G35 due to the 7spd transmission versus the 5. I only have one child, she is 8 now but I've had my car since she was 3-4 and it has never been a problem. I would have to agree with the one comment that somebody mentioned the booster seat being a p.i.t.a. to buckle.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:10 AM
dflores

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love this thread. I bought an '11 G37 sedan back when it was new and I had no kids. Now I have 3 boys and have been on the fence about getting a larger sedan. It sounds like it's doable for at least a few more years though. The Diono Radian car seats are pretty narrow and can fit three across in quite a few cars. Anyone tried it in ours?

Quick Reply: G Sedan X good family car?