Convertible Car Seat (baby)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
No problems here.
That's the booster, the convertible has this massive base that puts the top of the child seat only an inch or two from the ceiling of the car. Thats good info though because I want to get him that booster when he's ready for it in a few years.

You can see how tall the base is on the convertible. It's not removable either. The height from top of the seat to the base is just over 28" which puts it at the most protruding part of the stationary headrest in the rear. I couldn't get the center seat belt tight enough for it to stay in the center and if we have another one, there's no way I'll be able to fit another car seat in with the Recaro ProRide or Performance Ride.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:18 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

I ended up with the Britax Boulevard ClickTight UltimateComfort Series. I'm very happy with the construction of the seat and it's steel reinforced like the Clek. The only issue I have with it is that's it heavy as hell lol. It's 23.5" tall from the bottom of the base to the top of the car seat which puts it right at the bottom of the stationary headrest in the back of the US Gs.

Last edited by nonlinearedits; 07-30-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:25 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
I don't see why a small gap would be an issue right under the headrest as the latches do all the work keeping the seat secure.
I called Recaro and they said that the seat wouldn't be compatible, safe and it would void the warranty to have it sit that far off from flush, the bottom of the seat was probably 4-5" from sitting flush with the seat.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 PM
J-D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys - huge favor here.. Can you guys post pics of your car seats *installed* in your 2009+ G37's and the brand/link to the actual seat? I've got (2) seats (Britax) that don't fit. Same issue as the OP - headrests in the way, back of car seats don't "match" G seat profile and no leg room.

Thanks Fellas!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:31 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Originally Posted by J-D
Guys - huge favor here.. Can you guys post pics of your car seats *installed* in your 2009+ G37's and the brand/link to the actual seat? I've got (2) seats (Britax) that don't fit. Same issue as the OP - headrests in the way, back of car seats don't "match" G seat profile and no leg room.

Thanks Fellas!
Absolutely, what model are they? The Britax above is the one I got and it fits perfect, I'll take a photo tonight. But my god was it stupid expensive. The boulevard is on the list from Snug Kids - Infiniti for fitting both rear and forward in the G
Old 07-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
If your son is already forward facing why not go with recaro performance sport - based on the pic AroundTheG37 posted looks like it fits perfectly.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:24 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by nonlinearedits
That's the booster, the convertible has this massive base that puts the top of the child seat only an inch or two from the ceiling of the car. Thats good info though because I want to get him that booster when he's ready for it in a few years.

You can see how tall the base is on the convertible. It's not removable either. The height from top of the seat to the base is just over 28" which puts it at the most protruding part of the stationary headrest in the rear. I couldn't get the center seat belt tight enough for it to stay in the center and if we have another one, there's no way I'll be able to fit another car seat in with the Recaro ProRide or Performance Ride.
Gotcha but why not just get the booster if already forward facing?
Old 07-30-2015, 07:30 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Convertible Car Seat (baby)

He's not forward facing, or else I would have bought a booster. It's safer to have them sit backwards as long as possible, the Clek goes to 50lbs, this Britax does 40lbs. He's only a year and a half.

I ditched the recaro because it only fit rear facing, I would have to buy a booster when he outgrew it. Whereas I can get more use out of this Britax.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:20 PM
J-D

Originally Posted by nonlinearedits
Absolutely, what model are they? The Britax above is the one I got and it fits perfect, I'll take a photo tonight. But my god was it stupid expensive. The boulevard is on the list from Snug Kids - Infiniti for fitting both rear and forward in the G
I have (2) Britax Marathon Classics. They are too tall, hit the headrest and do not follow the contour of the seat back.

Thank you for the pics. Much appreciated.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:22 PM
J-D

Originally Posted by Falker11
If your son is already forward facing why not go with recaro performance sport - based on the pic AroundTheG37 posted looks like it fits perfectly.
I have 2 boys, 4.5 and 2 and my 2 year old is still very small (preemie). He is big enough to sit forward but some of the boosters don't have the right support and seat angle for a smaller guy. I would like to see what options are out there and ensure I get something that

1. works and is safe
2. fits

Appreciate all of the help. I realize not all of the questions are aimed at me but for anyone who comes out and is looking around, good to have a lot of angles and opinions.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:25 PM
J-D

I see that Britax above was $380... Proud of em!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:05 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by J-D
I have 2 boys, 4.5 and 2 and my 2 year old is still very small (preemie). He is big enough to sit forward but some of the boosters don't have the right support and seat angle for a smaller guy. I would like to see what options are out there and ensure I get something that

1. works and is safe
2. fits

Appreciate all of the help. I realize not all of the questions are aimed at me but for anyone who comes out and is looking around, good to have a lot of angles and opinions.
My first was a preemie too, and car seats have been a challenge, especially fitment in the G. My wife's Acura MDX has been less on an issue.

We used this until we graduated her to a booster

You can flip it front facing at 20 pounds. We could still probably have her rear facing, since she is only ~25 pounds at age 4, but we needed to move her sister up from the infant seat/carrier.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:05 PM
JC-RH
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ttv36
I have been using recaro proride seats one foward facing and one rear facing without any major issues. Only nuisance would be the size of the seat makes getting the kids into them a little difficult at times. My daughter may or may not have complained about hitting her head on the ceiling before.

I have used my wife's Diono Radian RXTs in the sedan and they give more headroom for the kids than the recaro prorides.

Can you please clarify on your exact setup? For example...

1) did you install in the middle/window/both?
2) did you install forward facing/rear facing/both?
3) any issues with the integrated headrest in the rear since the Diono has a high back? (I guess I worry about how flush it'll rest against the seat)

I'm looking to purchase a pair of these. One forward facing and one rear facing. I'm 6-foot, and I currently have a pair of old seats in the rear seat. I was hoping to put the Diono in the middle and another behind the passenger side to free up an adult seating area in the rear Any other recommendations?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:27 AM
markyo0o

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bump! Wife's preggo and expecting my first child in April

Threads a little old and wondering if anyone has used a convertible car seat for a newborn and which one? Or if there's a recommended newborn only car seat that is fairly popular. I see the recaro ones mentioned above but that was from 2015/2016.

Been reading articles and reviews of different car seats. This is harder than trying to figure out what suspension part i want for the G lol.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:35 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

The Recao won't fit correctly rear facing so we have it in my wife's Mazda instead. I used a graco click connect for the first maybe 8-10 months because it's easier on your stress not to have to wake a sleeping baby to carry them inside, we also have the click connect "snug rider car sear carrier" which is amazing when dealing with trunk space. We actually ended up only using that stroller with our second kid.

In my car (G37 sedan) I use the Britax Boulevard, fits really well, no problem installing and no problem leveling. After I was rear ended I went out and got the same seat once again because we liked it so much.

The recaro is cool looking, but it's a very bare bones car seat and if you're doing rear facing it can be difficult to level. In my wifes car it's got rolled towels in front of it to help which I don't really particularly like doing.
The following users liked this post:
markyo0o (08-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Convertible Car Seat (baby)