G37 Sedan

Yikes...evidence of damage not on carfax

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:58 AM
drkashifa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CJKCyclone, so what happened with the dealer?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:03 AM
WolfSongX

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Most CPO's do not go through the "stringent evaluation" that the marketing information will lead you to believe. Your best bet is to ask why this wasn't caught when the car was being certified, especially if these are obvious because most marketing materials will state "only the best will qualify for certified pre-owned" and this car is obviously poorly repaired and definitely not the "best".

I've seen plenty of cars with accident damage that have "Clean CarFax" and were "CarFax Certified". If this car was "CarFax Certified" and you don't have any luck with the dealer, you might have a bit of recourse through CarFax since they offer some sort of compensation if they're incorrect.

Hopefully the dealer will make this right and either offer you another car or offer you money back from the purchase price.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:32 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying used cars is such a hassle. Seems like all dealerships small and large are just trying to make the sale and hiding as much as they can.

The customer shouldn't have to go through the trouble of getting the car they are interested in moved to a trusted mechanic to get looked over. The customer shouldn't have to do their own checks into the vehicles history to see what really was going on.

When searching for my recently bought G I had to go to the MTO/DMV to run the vehicle VINs to see their real previous history cause many were being advertised as 1 owner or as lease returns when they were not.
Dealers showed Carproofs that never mentioned cars were previous rental vehicles.

My G was safetied and certified and less than 1,000kms down the road the brakes are squealing cause the pads are low.

The Fiat Abarth that I traded in is now being advertised as "1 owner" when it had 2 owners.

It truly is a buyer beware world.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:59 AM
PAULY_LONG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar experience with my '10 G37x - but it took me three years to notice. There is a small rust spot underneath the rear window that is only visible when you open the trunk.

I asked the dealer about it last time the car was in for service, and they told me it was due to a problem with a previous collision repair. I went nuts, but basically it comes down to this:
- The dealer can CPO just about any car - the CPO check list is there to protect Infiniti financial services (under-writer of the extended warranty), NOT the customer
- Take any used car you are considering purchasing to a trusted, independent third party to evaluate.

I can't imagine what the back end of my car must have looked like for them to have had to do body work all the way up under the window. I'm guessing frame straightening was involved, and at this point, I don't even want to know about it. It drives straight as an arrow, handles beautifully, and tire wear is perfect, so whatever they had to do to fix it, at least they did it right.

Back to the OP's question(s) about recourse, I think the best possible outcome is to trade it in for a different car and hope that they will buy it back for what you paid. That seems completely fair and reasonable, especially since you caught it quickly.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:12 PM
CJKCyclone

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
OK...Here is an update...more to come.

The car is with the dealer as I write this. They agreed to take the car into their body shop and make it look right. There is no way to know if the damage was bad scratches or actual accident damage without taking all the paint off. The chrome window trim and the paint look terrible under close inspection, like the idiot repairing it did more damage than was already there. They were not going to trade me another car or reverse the deal, but they were willing to fix the trim pieces and painted areas that were done by an amateur.

I expect to get the car back in a couple more days and will report on how it looks. Basically, my goal is that the car is professionally fixed to the point where when I go to trade it in in a few years, the inspector doesn't look at it and KNOW that bad work is covering something up.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:47 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by slowbird
Buying used cars is such a hassle. Seems like all dealerships small and large are just trying to make the sale and hiding as much as they can... The customer shouldn't have to do their own checks into the vehicles history to see what really was going on.

When searching for my recently bought G I had to go to the MTO/DMV to run the vehicle VINs to see their real previous history cause many were being advertised as 1 owner or as lease returns when they were not...

It truly is a buyer beware world.
It's easy to blame the big, bad dealerships. Know that this stems from the ethics of individuals, also. It is just hard to find anyone selling their car and honestly disclosing all information about it.

I'll leave this here:
Originally Posted by CJKCyclone
..my goal is that the car is professionally fixed to the point where when I go to trade it in in a few years, the inspector doesn't look at it and KNOW that bad work is covering something up.
Not picking on you, OP. You're not alone. I'm just pointing out that both the pot and kettle are black.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:45 PM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by CJKCyclone
OK...Here is an update...more to come.

The car is with the dealer as I write this. They agreed to take the car into their body shop and make it look right. There is no way to know if the damage was bad scratches or actual accident damage without taking all the paint off. The chrome window trim and the paint look terrible under close inspection, like the idiot repairing it did more damage than was already there. They were not going to trade me another car or reverse the deal, but they were willing to fix the trim pieces and painted areas that were done by an amateur.

I expect to get the car back in a couple more days and will report on how it looks. Basically, my goal is that the car is professionally fixed to the point where when I go to trade it in in a few years, the inspector doesn't look at it and KNOW that bad work is covering something up.
did you try the autocheck?
Old 08-12-2015, 02:28 PM
CJKCyclone

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My point is not to screw anyone, my point is to have a properly repaired car for me AND the next owner.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:17 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nelledge
It's easy to blame the big, bad dealerships. Know that this stems from the ethics of individuals, also. It is just hard to find anyone selling their car and honestly disclosing all information about it.
Yup. That's very true.

...it's less of a "Dealerships suck" and more of a "people in general suck".
Old 08-13-2015, 01:40 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Carfax/autocheck is a worthless gimmick IMO. Too many times damages don't show up on their reports. If you're buying used, check all the body panels for signs of repair and/or pay someone who's knowledgeable in the field to generate you an actual inspection report.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:09 AM
e3phung

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Carfax/autocheck is a worthless gimmick IMO. Too many times damages don't show up on their reports. If you're buying used, check all the body panels for signs of repair and/or pay someone who's knowledgeable in the field to generate you an actual inspection report.
That might be true but its a good start, I only do autochecks or carfax if I am pretty damn sure I am going to purchase the car.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:11 AM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
he only did a carfax not an autocheck