G37 Sedan

Quick question about muffler delete on G37

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:06 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Quick question about muffler delete on G37

Hi I have quick question about muffler delete on G37 sedan before I delete it this Saturday.

1) Is there a gasket or bolt connection where the muffler comes off? or do I have to cut if off?

2) If I undo the muffler delete for a reason(like too loud/warranty issue) do you think the dealership would notice that I had muffler delete?

Thanks !
Old 06-11-2015, 01:38 PM
VQXauvas
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
There are just clamps holding the mufflers on, just unbolt, drop the mufflers and enjoy. completely reversible if you don't like it and the stealership will never know unless you weld pipes in their place.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:14 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by VQXauvas
There are just clamps holding the mufflers on, just unbolt, drop the mufflers and enjoy. completely reversible if you don't like it and the stealership will never know unless you weld pipes in their place.
What do you mean the dealership will never know?

1. The exhaust tips are clearly missing
2. The car is obviously louder at start up and throttle
Old 06-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
What do you mean the dealership will never know?

1. The exhaust tips are clearly missing
2. The car is obviously louder at start up and throttle
I believe he means if they are bolt on they can be removed, then replaced if he needs to take it in.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:32 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Oh lol that makes more sense the mufflers aRe indeed bolt on however the exhaust tips are welded to the mufflers.

I unclamped and removed both mufflers last week and they are still off the car. It sounds very good for a free mod, however from outside the car there is a slight metal rattling noise. Can't be heard inside the car so that's a good thing.

I just don't like looking like a acura with missing exhaust tips now.

I also get this whistling noise near 6700 rpm to redline with the mufflers removed. Sounds like turbo spooling

Last edited by qmantran; 06-11-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:38 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh lol that makes more sense the mufflers aRe indeed bolt on however the exhaust tips are welded to the mufflers.

I unclamped and removed both mufflers last week and they are still off the car. It sounds very good for a free mod, however from outside the car there is a slight metal rattling noise. Can't be heard inside the car so that's a good thing.

I just don't like looking like a acura with missing exhaust tips now.

I also get this whistling noise near 6700 rpm to redline with the mufflers removed. Sounds like turbo spooling
Hmm.. I am planning to use megaflow pipe and keep the exhaust tips. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) unbolt the muffler out of the car
2) unweld(?) the exhaust tips from the muffler(?)
3) weld the tips with the pipes.. (??)
4) weld(?) or bolt(?) the pipes to the car (?)

Sorry for a noobie question..
Old 06-22-2015, 03:15 PM
JohnnyD

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Why are the exhaust shops around here telling me the mufflers have to be cut off and a new pipe welded in? I thought I could unbolt the mufflers and have a pipe bolted back. I don't want to cut/weld anything, so I can easily return to stock if I choose to.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Peepz
Registered Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
If you wanna keep the stock tips then yea they have to cut and weld a pipe. That's how they did it for mine.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:22 PM
JohnnyD

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Excluding the tips, does the pipe have to be welded to the rest of the exhaust? That is my worry, I'm fine with welding some aftermarket tips to the end of the pipes.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Splitpi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought my G37 with the muffler delete. I cannot stand it. To much drone. Unfortunately, the previous owner welded the new tips to the exhaust. So I will have to replace from the Y-pipe back.

I mean the car does sound good, but I am too old to enjoy the droning sound.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:30 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Splitpi
I bought my G37 with the muffler delete. I cannot stand it. To much drone. Unfortunately, the previous owner welded the new tips to the exhaust. So I will have to replace from the Y-pipe back.

I mean the car does sound good, but I am too old to enjoy the droning sound.
I don't believe you only have a muffler delete.

I removed the rear mufflers on my 2011 G37S Sedan automatic and there is no drone at all.

While cruising at any speed including 80 mph the car sounds completely stock like I never removed the mufflers. There's no exhaust humming or drone at all.

I am very familiar with drone. My last car had 0 cats and a full exhaust. The exhaust had mufflers and a resonator built in, however the car still droned horribly especially on the highway.

I replaced the resonator for a 6" diameter one and it reduced 75% of the drone but it was slightly still there.

My G37S with the rear mufflers removed has absolutely no drone...
Old 06-23-2015, 02:15 PM
gmanny86
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I took off my muffler(unbolted) this past weekend to see how it would sound and I really like it! It roars when you floor and it's pretty quiet under 3k rpms. I wanted to finish this "mod" before Saturday and I'm planning on taking it to a shop to get it done. I am going to tell them to put in new piping and to weld new tips on them as well. My friend said that I can tell them to weld on a flange so that I can unbolt when I want to put back the muffler(in case I want to sell it or I get annoyed of the loudness). Hope this helps out a little bit. Shouldn't cost more than $150, hopefully.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:25 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by gmanny86
I took off my muffler(unbolted) this past weekend to see how it would sound and I really like it! It roars when you floor and it's pretty quiet under 3k rpms. I wanted to finish this "mod" before Saturday and I'm planning on taking it to a shop to get it done. I am going to tell them to put in new piping and to weld new tips on them as well. My friend said that I can tell them to weld on a flange so that I can unbolt when I want to put back the muffler(in case I want to sell it or I get annoyed of the loudness). Hope this helps out a little bit. Shouldn't cost more than $150, hopefully.

I'll sell you these for $200 if you are interested, that way you can keep your stock mufflers if you ever want to go back...
Attached Thumbnails Quick question about muffler delete on G37-deletes.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Splitpi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't believe you only have a muffler delete.
That is a bad assumption.

Like I said, its my opinion and I don't like the noise. It makes my hands free phone usage mostly useless due to the noise and vibration the exhaust creates within the cabin around the 2 - 3K rpm range.

You have a different opinion. But my opinion on my car is that I will be replacing the exhaust system.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:21 PM
gmanny86
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by botlfed98
I'll sell you these for $200 if you are interested, that way you can keep your stock mufflers if you ever want to go back...
Thanks for the offer but I went to get a quote after work today and for $200 I'm going to get the 2 flanges piping and 2 stainless steel tips. Hopefully it turns out nice for the price I'm paying.

Last edited by gmanny86; 06-23-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention that i drive a coupe too.

Quick Reply: Quick question about muffler delete on G37