Quick question about muffler delete on G37

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:16 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitpi
That is a bad assumption.

Like I said, its my opinion and I don't like the noise. It makes my hands free phone usage mostly useless due to the noise and vibration the exhaust creates within the cabin around the 2 - 3K rpm range.

You have a different opinion. But my opinion on my car is that I will be replacing the exhaust system.
I am certain the extra noise is due to the 2.5" piping your car has for the rear muffler delete instead of 2.25" like the rest of the exhaust
Old 06-24-2015, 03:00 PM
ETrev
Premier Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitpi
That is a bad assumption.

Like I said, its my opinion and I don't like the noise. It makes my hands free phone usage mostly useless due to the noise and vibration the exhaust creates within the cabin around the 2 - 3K rpm range.

You have a different opinion. But my opinion on my car is that I will be replacing the exhaust system.
Actually, Qman's assumption is correct. My experience is the same as his and other members, no drone whatsoever, and very modest noise.
Your pictures clearly show that whoever deleted the mufflers didn't keep the stock pipe sizing. It looks like they up-sized to 3" or larger from where they cut it originally. If they had kept the original 2.25" piping the whole way back your exhaust would surely sound different and most likely wouldn't drone.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:24 AM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ETrev
Actually, Qman's assumption is correct. My experience is the same as his and other members, no drone whatsoever, and very modest noise.
Your pictures clearly show that whoever deleted the mufflers didn't keep the stock pipe sizing. It looks like they up-sized to 3" or larger from where they cut it originally. If they had kept the original 2.25" piping the whole way back your exhaust would surely sound different and most likely wouldn't drone.

exactly what I was going to say....
Old 06-26-2015, 06:12 PM
MikeyT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botlfed98
I'll sell you these for $200 if you are interested, that way you can keep your stock mufflers if you ever want to go back...
You could install yourself without welding?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:48 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
Thinking about doing the muffler delete, by unbolting the stock mufflers and bolting on some straight pipes, each with aftermarket exhaust tips welded to one end, and flange to the other.

Questions:
1) What size pipe would I specify? Match size of OEM pipe that I'd be bolting up to, right? Assuming shop will determine flange type/size...
2) What size (inlet) exhaust tips do I buy? Match the size of the pipe? Or get an inlet size that's 1/2" or 1" larger than the straight pipe?

Reason I ask, could not for the life of me find this info, and from what I've found, shops in the DC metro area need very clear instruction on what you want done, otherwise they're reluctant to do it, or try to overcharge. Thanks
Old 10-21-2015, 12:22 AM
SurreyG

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I tried the muffler delete and it sounded like crap, way too loud and droney. I heard that it might have been because they uses just regular cheap aluminum. I know a member used Mild steel on his delete for the straight pipes and it sounded not too loud. Not sure but mine sounded like crap.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:45 AM
gmanny86
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Thinking about doing the muffler delete, by unbolting the stock mufflers and bolting on some straight pipes, each with aftermarket exhaust tips welded to one end, and flange to the other.

Questions:
1) What size pipe would I specify? Match size of OEM pipe that I'd be bolting up to, right? Assuming shop will determine flange type/size...
2) What size (inlet) exhaust tips do I buy? Match the size of the pipe? Or get an inlet size that's 1/2" or 1" larger than the straight pipe?

Reason I ask, could not for the life of me find this info, and from what I've found, shops in the DC metro area need very clear instruction on what you want done, otherwise they're reluctant to do it, or try to overcharge. Thanks
I believe when I took my car into the shop to do the same thing, I got .25" wider pipes than the aftermarket ones(2.25"). The inlet size should be the same as the piping. Some one correct me if I am wrong. Good luck and thanks!

BTW I got charged $200 for the work and that included the muffler tips.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Thinking about doing the muffler delete
Really? In that tiny attached garage of yours? The plaster is going to shake off the walls.

Is that a townhouse? If it is, your neighbors are going to hate you like the devil.

Name:  grilledaylight02_zpsa29695d4.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  39.7 KB
Old 10-21-2015, 11:21 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 235 Posts
Backing into that spot would take mad driving skills and concentration. Look down at a text for a split second....you're filing a homeowners claim :-)

I thought pulling into my small 3rd car garage was tough.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:01 PM
ETrev
Premier Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
1) What size pipe would I specify? Match size of OEM pipe that I'd be bolting up to, right?
Correct, I simply told my shop "keep the stock size piping." 2.25"

I personally ordered an exhaust tip with the same size inlet as the pipes to keep it simple.
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 06:07 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

^thank you!
Old 10-21-2015, 06:11 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Really? In that tiny attached garage of yours? The plaster is going to shake off the walls.

Is that a townhouse? If it is, your neighbors are going to hate you like the devil.

Since you are so very interested in my car storage plight, I'm proud to announce that I've upgraded:
Name:  IMG_2260_zpss3micv5t.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  110.1 KB

(not really, moved to a new place closer to city ... been storing the car at a friend's place)
Old 10-21-2015, 06:15 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
Backing into that spot would take mad driving skills and concentration. Look down at a text for a split second....you're filing a homeowners claim :-)

I thought pulling into my small 3rd car garage was tough.
A single car garage is coveted in my area, but although the garage was included with rent, it really ended up costing me about $100/mo when this happened ...

Name:  photo9_zps1e929b9a.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  87.4 KB
Old 10-22-2015, 01:30 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 235 Posts
Ouch! We've all been there at some point in our lives.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:09 AM
jessebritches

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone every just removed the mufflers and not added the pipes? Would there be any drawback to that (other than not having the cool exhaust tips?)

THank you!

Quick Reply: Quick question about muffler delete on G37