G37 Sedan

Love the G37!! Bitten by 'mod' bug....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I like where this thread is going and good lord, that's the dirtiest cabin filter I've ever seen
Looks like your G had emphysema
Glad you freshened that up
Old 05-20-2015, 08:59 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
^ LMAO!!! ain't that the truth!! just imagine what the prior owner was inhaling for all that time....yuk!

I'll be good for the upcoming summer months with the AC in full affect
Old 05-20-2015, 10:35 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by CPJ LB
hey jroyalty7!! thanks brotha! great car indeed - '12 G37X sedan

the interior LED lighting kit I picked up from a guy who's provided lots of LED kits down here in So Cal. I order thru his eBay store and it's pretty inexpensive - done it to my M as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130932833351?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As far as the T5 bulb, those are hard to find online, but DDM Tuning is down the street from my house so I just drove over and picked one up - less than $1.50 (pure white). The Morimoto D2S bulbs (XB 5500K) I picked up thru the RetrofitSource - only $50...

The grounding kit I picked up at Stillen, it was tempting to buy more mods when visiting their store - like a kid in a candy store - The kit is not hard to install...they provide good instructions. I think it took me an hour to install. I lined up the wires to their appropriate connecting points before actually starting the install so I can get a good layout of where they need to go. I had a grounding kit on my M, but the points were totally different.

I was thinking about the CAI or Stillen Gen 3, but I'll be moving to CT next month and just not too sure how they will perform in the winter months...I'm from Cali so installing them here is no problem. I see you're in NY, any issues with rain/snow with your intake? BTW, I'm on the fence about lowering the car...gonna make my decision next spring - after a full winter under my belt. Is your car lowered?
Thanks for the info, convinced me to change out the cabin filter as well lol! To answer your questions I am lowered on swift springs, which I love! Probably going to add the koni yellows next spring as I could use a little better damper. I was on the fence a long time about the CAI'S but I've read a lot on here and other places regarding the winters/rain and I have not found a case of Hydrolocking on a G yet! As long as you don't go puddle jumping or drive into a River you should be good to go I'm in Buffalo so the winters are he'll lol! Like your build so far keep up the good work!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:20 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

^you're welcome! Good to hear that you had zero issues with rain/snow regarding the CAI...I like the design of the Stillen Gen 3...

I found a 'how to' video on changing out the cabin filter & glove box bulb replacement....it's pretty dead-on as to how I got to mine replaced....I'm fairly tall so I had to move the passenger seat further back for some room, otherwise it's pretty straight forward. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
jroyalty7 (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 PM
sergery
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After seeing that filter I may need to take a look at mine. Got a 12xs last October. The dealer said it was changed when they certified it but it doesn't hurt to look.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:04 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sergery
After seeing that filter I may need to take a look at mine. Got a 12xs last October. The dealer said it was changed when they certified it but it doesn't hurt to look.
Agreed! it won't hurt to check...I picked up my used '12 G37X sedan with 34K miles on it...instead of waiting to see if the dealer had the filter, I went to Autozone and used my 'rewards dollars' and only paid a $2.00 difference (I picked up the STP in-cabin filter: CAF1815P)

The other maintenance items I just completed this past week were:

oil & filter change (Mobil 1)
PCV valves - our car needs 2 and Dealer part doesn't come with 'O' ring, so had to buy 2 separate 'O' rings from the dealer.

-checked air filters (they were new)

I have peace of mind knowing that those items have been changed and I can maintain them moving forward.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:23 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Rotors & Pads delivered one day early

Maybe I can get them on this evening or tomorrow morning. I have to wait on the rear rotors/pads since they didn't have them in stock

I went with the BrakeMotive Rotors (Zinc plated) $80 bucks for the set...Hawk Pads - normally use Akebono pads but weren't available...gonna give the Hawks a try.

Name:  IMG_7532_zpssbstiz4h.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  319.0 KB
Old 05-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Time for you to move to the Build Threads.

Aren't you a little worried you're going to burn out?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

^ I won't burn out...this is my only vice

just trying to get my priority mods done before I ship the car to the East Coast. I think it's easier for me to get the parts I need while I'm in California (since the majority of the performance shops are located here) and have them installed by shops that I have done business with in the past... the rest of the 'nice to haves' I can put off later...

It's gonna be like starting from scratch once I get to CT in order to find good shops...so I'll be looking for references in the future.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:10 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Heard a lot of bad stories with brake motive rotors on my last forum (acurazine) and a Google search also shows complaints on other forums.

Main issue was the noise and vibration.

Let us know how you like them
Old 05-21-2015, 08:35 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

^ I've used them over the past couple of years on my M35. However, I did not use the brake pads that they offer with their package deal (4 rotors w/ set of pads). I've always used Akebono performance pads with the Brake motives and had no issues with vibration and/or noise...and I drove my M pretty hard. This time I'm going with Hawk pads.

I'm thinking that since the G37 sedan is lighter than the M, I should be good. Plus the bedding process is also helpful to follow

To me, it's an inexpensive alternative for those who don't want to go BBK but want to stay away from the dealer rotors -- I've gone through the first set of those dealer rotors on the M faster than the Brake Motives...

I'll report back once I put them thru an East coast summer and winter
Old 05-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Mongolian
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recognize you from the M forums. I'm sure you'll recognize my car:

Name:  IMG_0280.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  105.1 KB

If you recall, I lemoned my M35 with 8,000 miles on the odometer due to multiple problems with the engine.

Soon after I got my settlement, I picked up a new 2013 G37S:

Name:  photo_zps83b14b37.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  102.7 KB

I didn't waste any time and purchased all my parts at once. It sort of took away the fun.

G37 is a nice car, but I liked my M35 more... Enjoy the car!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:39 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

^ how's it going!!!! Good to hear from you!!! Ya, I remember you from the M forum.... Looks like you stuck with white
Yes, the G37 is a great car... I've been looking to get one for awhile, so when the M racked up over 165K miles and since I'm moving back East, I thought it was time for an AWD G.
Your G looks sick!! Great work. I enjoyed the M, but mine was an 06 whereas yours was an 08 so you had the updated M.
I love modding as you know, so I'm doing the same to the G, but not overly done....plus more parts are on the market for the G...
Old 05-23-2015, 11:00 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Mongolian
I recognize you from the M forums. I'm sure you'll recognize my car:

If you recall, I lemoned my M35 with 8,000 miles on the odometer due to multiple problems with the engine.

Soon after I got my settlement, I picked up a new 2013 G37S:

I didn't waste any time and purchased all my parts at once. It sort of took away the fun.

G37 is a nice car, but I liked my M35 more... Enjoy the car!
Can you post more pictures of the visors on your car? They are jdm right?

I have a moonlight white G also and debating on getting them or not. I can't find any pictures of a white G sedan with visors to help with my decision