G37 Sedan

Thinking about Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:01 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Thinking about Seafoam

So my cars got just over 71k on her I bought her used so no clue on maintenece or gas I have had the car since March last year and I always do the oil changes at 2500-2800 and only use 93( Shell) and use Turbo 108 Oct boost twice a month.

Was thinking about this to clean everything out? Are we still using the brake booster hose for the vacuum and thats half a can with that then the other half in the fuel tank? NEVER done this once on any car I've owned.Thank you
Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have used in on both Gs several times with good results. I use 8 oz induced through The brake booster hose SLOWLY and have never had a problem. Slowly is important. I let it sit for at least a half hour (some have let it sit overnight) and then drive it around until it stops smoking like a freight train.

I've also added about 3oz directly into the crankcase and driven about 40-50 miles just before an oil change.

Add 1 oz to 1 gallon of gas in the tank.
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 01:19 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Thanx Betty, I wanna do this Friday night and let it sit then and go out Saturday morning. They'll be no traffic. The " stops smoking like a freight train." I cant stop laughing LOL
Old 05-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Thanx Betty, I wanna do this Friday night and let it sit then and go out Saturday morning. They'll be no traffic. The " stops smoking like a freight train." I cant stop laughing LOL
Google Seafoam smoke show and watch some videos. If it's never been done on your car before, you should be a pretty good candidate for eliminating all the mosquitoes from your entire zip code. Make a video and post it up.
The following 3 users liked this post by Black Betty:
guy from norcal (05-07-2015), nishfish871 (05-08-2015), twin_snails (05-07-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 02:06 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Again laughing "eliminating all the mosquitoes from your entire zip code" I need this too our house is on the water!!
Old 05-06-2015, 02:10 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Check out this clip. It does help clean but not as good as I thought from the hype.
IIRC you are supposed to split 1/3 to gas tank, 1/3 in crank case, and 1/3 through brake booster. Change oil shortly after.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Seafoam is a waste of money. Don't even bother. Same goes for that Lucas motor additive and fuel injection cleaners that you pour into the gas tank.

If you keep up with regular routine oil changes and keep good tier gas in the tank there is no reason to use any of that snake oil.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I have used Seafoam on all my cars over the years. I use it once a year and only through the upper intake tract. Use the brake booster. Suck it up slowly and let it sit 20-30mins. Then take it for a spirited drive hitting WOT several times. It will clean your valves, upper intake channels well. I feel that it helps improve throttle response and is a good preventative maintenance step. I also use BG44K in my gas tank (wait until you are around 1/4 tank). I add this every oil change which is around 10k miles as I use Amsoil Sig Series 5W30 and either Amsoil filter or Mobil 1 extended performance filters only as they are superior to other filters per BITOG website which I've frequented for over ten years. Also why are you using octane boosters so often do you only have 91 octane nearby? If you have 93 then no need for octane booster.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:04 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I say for piece of mind, it's worth $8.

I also agree with the above statement that most gas tank additives aren't going to do anything special for your car.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:00 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
I have used Seafoam on all my cars over the years. I use it once a year and only through the upper intake tract. Use the brake booster. Suck it up slowly and let it sit 20-30mins. Then take it for a spirited drive hitting WOT several times. It will clean your valves, upper intake channels well. I feel that it helps improve throttle response and is a good preventative maintenance step. I also use BG44K in my gas tank (wait until you are around 1/4 tank). I add this every oil change which is around 10k miles as I use Amsoil Sig Series 5W30 and either Amsoil filter or Mobil 1 extended performance filters only as they are superior to other filters per BITOG website which I've frequented for over ten years. Also why are you using octane boosters so often do you only have 91 octane nearby? If you have 93 then no need for octane booster.
Thanx man! No I only run 93 and from Shell( Same station) , I run the octane boost because I have been using it for 20+ years and I have tested it ( Cleanness of the intake manifold/ Carb) So is use it twice a month.

I do my oil changes every 2500 or so Mobil 1 Syn, but I have zero clue of what the guy before me did. I have the top half of the motor apart swapping intakes so I know its not dirty, the oil cap is clean, Maybe it doesn't need it?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Changing oil every 2500 miles it's doubtful that anything will ever get dirty in there. I change every 7500 or so and mine's clean as a pin, top and bottom end. I Seafom about once a year.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I do my oil changes every 2500 or so Mobil 1 Syn
That's way too early even for dino, much less synthetic. I don't get it.

As for the 93 octane... it took me a while to realize that in some places you can't actually get 91, so you do what you have to do.

Your money your time your car... that I get.

FWIW, I used Seafoam a few times in my previous car, but just for the curiosity of it all, and maybe for stroking some peace of mind. It was fun, and made zero difference in how well the engine ran... except for triggering a temporary vacuum leak CEL.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-08-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:30 AM
RickyDgmZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never really been a fan of seafoam. Only suggestion if you do use it is to change out your spark plugs after you run it through out the car. It can foul out your plugs and cause damage. I've personally never ran any types of cleaners through out my vehicles. I've ran nothing but Chevron 91 in my car. As to say for the previous owner I'm not too sure. I've thought of fuel tank additives to help clean out the fuel system. To each their own, some people think seafoam is a waste of time and money. Again I wouldn't run it due to it fouling out spark plugs which means when you're using the seafoam it's causing the car to run lean the whole time until all of that liquid is out of the vehicle.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by RickyDgmZ
I've never really been a fan of seafoam. Only suggestion if you do use it is to change out your spark plugs after you run it through out the car. It can foul out your plugs and cause damage. I've personally never ran any types of cleaners through out my vehicles. I've ran nothing but Chevron 91 in my car. As to say for the previous owner I'm not too sure. I've thought of fuel tank additives to help clean out the fuel system. To each their own, some people think seafoam is a waste of time and money. Again I wouldn't run it due to it fouling out spark plugs which means when you're using the seafoam it's causing the car to run lean the whole time until all of that liquid is out of the vehicle.
How exactly does it do this?
Old 05-08-2015, 02:38 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
IMO doing it via brake booster line does not distribute the sea foam evenly. The first two banks where the PCV hoses go should be the dirtiest from the blow by, so I run it both on booster line as well as the two pcv lines.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Seafoam