G37 Sedan

Tenabe Medalion Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 03:21 PM
csmith2030

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tenabe Medalion Sedan

Hey guys. So I'm buying a like new Tenabe Medallion axle back exhaust. They are in perfect shape. I'm getting them for $450. Does anyone have these? I've watched the videos and looked into it a lot. I was wondering what the general opinion on this setup is. I'm a heavy highway driver. I don't want anything over the top annoying, but would like a little more rumble than stock. I don't want to do muffler delete. I just want to know opinions on this setup. I love the look and believe I will enjoy the sound.

All opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:28 PM
bsettles

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I have Kinetix HFC's, Megan Y Pipe and the Tanabe Axleback and the car is actually relatively quiet until you mash the gas. Perfect for me, not annoying but noticeable when you want it to be. Idle is deeper than stock but not really loud.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Rennies5

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I had these on my old car. Tanabe's quality is excellent and they fit real well. Some people argue that the tips could be a little smaller (I'm of that opinion, but I am getting old). As far as sound goes, they add a little more growl especially when in the higher revs. You will get 0 drone so these will not bother you while on the highway. I think my only complaint would be that they are extremely close to the stock exhaust note. If they added just a little more note, I think they would be perfect for someone looking for a nice tone without drawing a lot of attention...

Last edited by Rennies5; 05-05-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
It's a great looking axle-back. Worth it on looks alone. However, there's very little love on this forum for these can & tip replacements with regard to sound... unless you've also modified other exhaust components. The overwhelming opinion is they're stock muffler replacements...

...which is fine, because the stock muffler and tips look like pooh.

Say, what's with that trapezoid bracket under the tip?

Last edited by Rochester; 05-05-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 PM
JinV36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in a similar situation where I'm looking at tanabe , Megan, and top speed. The thing is, I can't really change any more exhaust components where it's legal in ca (smog)and unless I learn how to take off and put back myself so I can pass smog.

Are Cais, say takeda, only for performance gains and not sound note? For example, would a full cat back exhaust (say Invidia) be louder than a top speed + takeda cai?

Edit ; any does intake and exhaust void my drivetrain warranty? Or only B2B. Jus wonderin as I have 2.5 years left of drive train and 6 months of B2B
Old 05-05-2015, 09:10 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 234 Posts
The best looking mufflers in existence are the Sebring Tuning mufflers that Fast Intentions uses on their CBE.

These leverage 2.5" inlets, stick is roughly 2", so custom modification coming off the end of the mid-pipe would need to occur (this would be simple and cheap at a decent muffler shop).

Someone said once you can buy them for $125 each, which would be a steal if you could figure out where exactly to buy them...
Old 05-05-2015, 10:48 PM
Rennies5

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Has anyone tried using this setup (Sebring mufflers)? I'd be interested in how just the mufflers ended up sounding...

Last edited by Rennies5; 05-06-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:14 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I had the Tanabe and honestly don't think its worth the money...might as well keep stockers
Old 05-06-2015, 10:26 AM
csmith2030

Damn. Thanks guys. Overwhelming opinion is that these generally suck. Haha. I am starting to feel like my money could be better spent at this point. I don't want anything too loud, but if i spend $450 I was to be able to hear her rumble. This is gonna make my choice a little harder now. The top speed has been impossible to find. It's also in the price range id be looking to spend. Just not quite sure what to do now. Keep the opinions and alternatives coming. It is much appreciated!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by csmith2030
Keep the opinions and alternatives coming. It is much appreciated!
Go ahead and purchase the Tanabe Axle-back, *and* a set of high-flow cats. Match them up to your OEM X-pipe (which is really two y-pipes), resonators and pipes to the cans. The cats will give you the added rumble you want, while the Tanabe will give you the attractive look of the SS cans and tips. That combo won't be loud at all, but certainly louder than stock... restricted by the little OEM pipes and resonators. The big benefit here is the undeniable power add because of the cats. And collectively, you can purchase both for under a grand. And you don't even have to install them at the same time, so you can do it on your own terms.

However, while the axle-back is a DIY install, the cats... not so much without either experience or determination.

Be forewarned, once you get under the car and start eyballing the OEM exhaust, you're going to want to get rid of it entirely... at which point you'll be reselling the Axle-back, but keeping the cats.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-06-2015 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
csmith2030 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 10:48 AM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Go ahead and purchase the Tanabe Axle-back, *and* a set of high-flow cats. Match them up to your OEM X-pipe (which is really two y-pipes), resonators and pipes to the cans. The cats will give you the added rumble you want, while the Tanabe will give you the attractive look of the SS cans and tips. That combo won't be loud at all, but certainly louder than stock...
I had the tanabe with HFCs and I did not like the sound at all...FYI
Old 05-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by botlfed98
I had the tanabe with HFCs and I did not like the sound at all...FYI
FYI? Really?

There are lots of things I don't like, but when I discuss them, I try to explain the reasoning. Otherwise the forum would be a lame collection of likes and dislikes (facebook ). Seems to me your experience and opinion about the combo could benefit the OP.

How did you get to that configuration? Which cats did you install? What didn't you like? What did you like (if anything)? What's your point of reference?

Let's hear it.
The following users liked this post:
csmith2030 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 10:10 PM
bsettles

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a wmv and 3gp of my setups sound in the garage, couldn't load it into my hosting site for some reason. Anyway I can upload it directly here?
Old 05-06-2015, 11:06 PM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry, but I gotta rant here since I've seen so many negative posts about tanabes. Yes, the tips are a bit large, but the sound is great. I bought mine used from another forum member for $350, and they had a few thousand miles on them; they had already been broken in. Sounds like the stock coupe exhaust IMO. There is zero drone, and since they're relatively quiet, you don't hear much until you're near 3k rpm. I have videos of my car before and after and the sound is a night and day difference from the outside. If you want loud, Tanabe is not the choice for you, but if want a noticeable exhaust note without being 'loud,' then tanabes are a solid choice. The Tanabe sound fits great for a 328hp sedan. It's not like we have C63s or something that truly justifies an over the top exhaust note. According to tanabe's website, they add 2 hp and 7 tq, but that's negligible. To answer a previous post, axle backs can removed/replaced in your driveway without lifting the car in less than a half hour.
The following 3 users liked this post by txg37x:
csmith2030 (05-07-2015), EdsNotHere (11-04-2015), OBJ (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 AM
csmith2030

Originally Posted by txg37x
Sorry, but I gotta rant here since I've seen so many negative posts about tanabes. Yes, the tips are a bit large, but the sound is great. I bought mine used from another forum member for $350, and they had a few thousand miles on them; they had already been broken in. Sounds like the stock coupe exhaust IMO. There is zero drone, and since they're relatively quiet, you don't hear much until you're near 3k rpm. I have videos of my car before and after and the sound is a night and day difference from the outside. If you want loud, Tanabe is not the choice for you, but if want a noticeable exhaust note without being 'loud,' then tanabes are a solid choice. The Tanabe sound fits great for a 328hp sedan. It's not like we have C63s or something that truly justifies an over the top exhaust note. According to tanabe's website, they add 2 hp and 7 tq, but that's negligible. To answer a previous post, axle backs can removed/replaced in your driveway without lifting the car in less than a half hour.
Anyway to email me those before and after videos? Csmith2030@gmail.com. That's exactly what I'm looking for

Quick Reply: Tenabe Medalion Sedan