Need Advise: Would you trade in a 2007 2nd gen G35 sedan for a 2015 GTI

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:16 AM
Crespo
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Advise: Would you trade in a 2007 2nd gen G35 sedan for a 2015 GTI

Need some advise:

My 07 G35 sedan is aging and has around 120000kms. Had some problems with the brakes, and airbags but it was fix. Afraid that more and more problem will arise as the car is starting to get old. Test drove a GTI the other day and quit like it. Getting an awsome deal on the GTI with performance package and dealer taking the car for $11000 cdn. Yes, I took a look at the new Q50 and it was over budget and Infiniti is only offering $8000 to 9000 for my G. Want the new car to stay around $40000 cdn because just purchase a new flat.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:23 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Does FWD bother you?

If my G got hit by a bus and totaled tomorrow, a Golf R would be on my short list of replacements.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:10 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Don't remember which major Auto mag it was in, but IIRC it just won car of the year, so should be decent option if FWD and a bit less room & power works for your situation. They sure are fun cars to flick around, haven't driven a Golf in a few years but they are entertaining for sure, and the GTI is nailed down real well.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:13 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
No. Golf R, maybe.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would lease if I were you and use the trade in from the G to lower your lease payments. If you were worried about the continued reliability of your G, I wouldn't be comfortable with a VW. The reliability of German cars has gotten better in the last few years but they had nowhere to go but up anyways. Some people will come on and say the reliability issue is overblown but I'm speaking from personal experience and friend's issues with specifically Audi and BMW. It's almost like the cars are programmed to start falling apart as soon as the warranty expires. And the parts are expensive that will burn a hole through your wallet quickly especially if you plan on driving it hard.

I'm not sure about the Golf itself but the Jetta seems about average with reliability. The Passat and Toureg however are complete money pits. I have a mechanic buddy who used to work at a VW dealership and the Toureg was a complete disaster. They had a lineup of them coming in daily with electrical issues and really weren't sure how to fix them.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Infiniti+Beyond

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I came from a 2011 GTI so I have first hand experience here. I can honestly say it depends on your needs. AWD to FWD will be a different feel but regardless I think you'd like the car. The car is great, however reliability is something to think about. I had a string of replacements from 30k-50k miles; water pump being one. (known issue with the mk5 and mk6 GTIs) I'd hope they've fixed it now but who knows. Also, if tuning is something you're going to be doing then I'd say go for 2014 MK6. The platform for tuning is much higher and the prices are stupid low. Also, I remember reading somewhere that the k03 turbo on the MK7 GTI is impossible to replace unless you go big turbo because it's welded to the manifold but don't quote me on that.

For daily driving, I hated my GTI. Although, the air-ride and nerves of the roads/snow didn't help. The ride compared to the G is awful. You feel every bump and on rough uneven highway I was being pin-balled around the lanes. Space was "ok" at most but I also had my Gf & our two dogs int he car alot so I always felt cramped.

For a weekend car, it will fill a void in which the G can't (IMO). It is a really fun car to drive and for the price, nothing beats it. I would buy another but not for everyday use. A simple tune will make you grin and the price for tunes/parts is super cheap compared to the G platform.

All in all, I'd decide what you're using it for the most and go from there. I dont think you'll be disappointed but you'll find that the G and the GTI are two completely different cars. They really can't be compared directly because each one does things great and the others not so much.

All this is just my opinion but if you'd like more info just PM me and I can try to go over more technical info about the VW platform. I've owned all euros up until the G last month. Know the platform pretty well and can tell you what to look for. Goodluck!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:03 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm actually looking to trade in my 2010 xS for a 2016 R. lol

The GTI is no joke with a downpipe and Unitronic tune.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:13 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Only if you need the better gas mileage & don't mind the FWD. I actually drove one recently when I accompanied a VW sales rep on car swap to PA. It was a 4 hour test drive. Car was a 6 speed. Nice car but completely different compared to my current 09 G37S. I like my car better, but wouldn't mind owning both.

Also it took me over a half hour to fully bond with the GTi. initially i really did not like it.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:12 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I had a 2008 GTI, Really liked it and was easy to mod, Minus you have to change the fump pump gear to add STG2 boost. But the Golf R looks good. IMO I wouldn't but I'm a old guy LOL and like the G better, maybe a G37 for you ?
Old 04-17-2015, 01:09 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
For the 95% of us who have no idea what 120000kms means, its about 75,000 miles. Hardly even broken in for a 2007 if you ask me. My (new in 2014) 2013 will likely reach 50,000 miles at the end of this year. Thats about 80,467.2kms per google translator.

If you want a new car, just get one. My daughter thinks all VW's are cute, so based on that I can't recommend. I hear the plant is Mexico is really improving though.
The following users liked this post:
SlimTV (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 01:17 PM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
A buddy of mine sold G37S coupe and got an STI. After he had his fun doing doughnuts in the snow this past winter, he got tired of the cheap interior and boy racer look, he's now looking to sell STI and he had it for less than a year.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:34 AM
Red00lght

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a 2015 gti and traded it for my 2013 g37s. Long story short...I had underestimated the cost of insurance on the gti lease and I seemed too big for the seats after a few days of owning the car. (I'm 6'7")
That said, I kinda regret having switched. It was just so much fun. It begged you to beat it. Also, it nearly doubled the mpg I get on the same routes in the g37. And just as I was turning it in, it seemed like I was finally adapting to the highly bolstered seat.
The 15 gti just feels like it was carved out of stone. Super solid. Braked good, and the dsg shifts so fast it was amazing.
I wouldn't do a black gti again...looked great when clean but keeping it that way was impossible.
Hope the above helps.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:52 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 234 Posts
Love the GTI as it is probably my favorite FWD car (drives better IMO than the Acura TL). VW also does an excellent job minimizing the torque steer on these cars, so you will sometimes forget its FWD. Nonetheless, it targets a different demographic compared to the G.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:22 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
For those who say the G is not as much fun I urge you to mod your car. I decent set of coilovers, tires, and exhaust make the G a really fun car. Trust me.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:26 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
For those who say the G is not as much fun I urge you to mod your car. I decent set of coilovers, tires, and exhaust make the G a really fun car. Trust me.
Have to do all of that and the G still isn't as fun as a GTI or R.

Fun, yes. But not Golf fun.

OP, have you thought about the Audi S3? It's the same engine as the R, and easy as can be to tune. Unitronic. APR. Neuspeed. G.I.A.C. Tons of options. Honestly, I'm getting bored with my G. I have the Stillen intakes, ERC HFC, Fast Intentions catback, Hotchkis swaybars, Swift springs. It's as fast and nimble as it's ever going to get short of investing another $1k on coilovers and $6-12k going FI. For all of that $, it seems like trading it in for something else just makes more sense.

Good luck!

Last edited by TheLocNar; 04-18-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Advise: Would you trade in a 2007 2nd gen G35 sedan for a 2015 GTI