G37 Sedan

Question about start up (buying g37)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:16 PM
JinV36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about start up (BOUGHT A G37S - PICS)

whats up guys !

Excuse my lack of knowledge as I am new to the forum. I'm looking at both the g35 and g37 , both v36s. I had a question about a 37 I checked out today.

So I went to look at a 2010 g37 sedan journey today. For the push button start, it started but sounded like it struggled. The second time, same thing but getting better. The engine had close to no coolant. Idk about oil. Been sitting in the lot for 30 days. It's at a good price. Idk why people aren't buyig it. You think the engine is bad ? Or it's the low level of coolant / maybe oil. Also had less than 1/4 gas.

I don't know the last time it had been started but it wasn't recently (5days). You think the struggle with the initial start up could be because of the gasket (paper gasket problem with the codes , oil pressure, etc)? Or just how cold the engine was / lack of fluids

Thank you so much for the help and look forward to getting a G

Last edited by JinV36; 04-12-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Welcome to the site. When you started it up was there any smoke? Also check the oil dipstick for any traces of coolant.
It's hard to diagnose a car over the internet, I'd be sure to really scrutinize this one, sounds like it's been pretty neglected at the minimum and could have much bigger problems.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 AM
JinV36

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site. When you started it up was there any smoke? Also check the oil dipstick for any traces of coolant.
It's hard to diagnose a car over the internet, I'd be sure to really scrutinize this one, sounds like it's been pretty neglected at the minimum and could have much bigger problems.
Do you think it could be because of a weak battery? No smoke came out. I'll check the oil dipstick next time I get out. I'm just wondering because it is at a great price.

The car is a 2010 Journey Base / Sport (according to carfax) and has 61k miles on it. 2 Owners, clean title. Priced at $17,900.

The car has been sitting for about a month, maybe more. Could the battery be weak from the lack of driving? Or is it possible, like you said, it might have more problems. I know its hard to determine as you aren't there, but I have pictures of the engine if that helps . Still need to test drive it. It's just the start up had me a little hesitant.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:22 AM
Slayerg37

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought my 2010 sedan about 5 months ago for 16,000. Had 50k miles when I bought it. Has 55k already lol.
Anyways, startups are always kinda weird on these cars until it warms up. But check it over, at that many miles shouldn't have any problems.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 AM
JinV36

Originally Posted by Slayerg37
I bought my 2010 sedan about 5 months ago for 16,000. Had 50k miles when I bought it. Has 55k already lol.
Anyways, startups are always kinda weird on these cars until it warms up. But check it over, at that many miles shouldn't have any problems.
Damn you paid 16,000? From a dealer or private seller. That's a good *** price compared to my area. Where do you stay?

And how weird is weird when you say that. Haha cause it didn't sound like a vq37hr starting. Sounded like ... I don't even know. I might stay away from it. I just liked it cause it had the 2011-2013 sport 19" rims on it for a 2010

Oh and also cause it's the only g out of 2 listed under 20gs
Old 04-07-2015, 01:00 AM
pitbull516

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got my 2011 Xs.. no regrets, sometimes i feel like it struggles on the start. haven't ran a battery test though. got 36K
such a beautiful car
Old 04-07-2015, 01:05 AM
JinV36

If you watch the video at 3:08, he starts the vehicle. It wasn't smooth like his. Took the same amount of time to start the engine, but it wasn't as smooth with the "chahahahaha" or whatever sound you wanna call it. It was more like "cha... cha... chachacha" when this was one a solid "chachachachacha". Idk if that makes sense.... Lmfao.

In other words, it takes the same amount of time to start the car, just isn't as smooth and consistent with the sound it makes.

Could this be because of a weak battery or more deep.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:13 AM
JinV36

I don't know if these pics of the engine will help you guys tell me an IDEA, HYPOTHESIS, ESTIMATION, of the condition of the vehicle. Haha, in other words, i don't expect much besides "it's dirty as ****". haha.
The car has 61k

But...

EDIT: Sorry for the big pictures. I don't know how to make them smaller

Name:  IMG_3692_zpsj2efmotl.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  1.07 MB

Name:  IMG_3690_zpsl8qjwibs.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  1.02 MB
Old 04-07-2015, 02:14 AM
e3phung

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
wait is this car at a dealership or private? I think you should get it checked out at a mechanic shop, if it is a dealership then they haven't done anything with the car which is a red flag.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:17 AM
JinV36

Originally Posted by e3phung
wait is this car at a dealership or private? I think you should get it checked out at a mechanic shop, if it is a dealership then they haven't done anything with the car which is a red flag.
It's a business. In other words, it's a business who owns a decent sized piece of land on a busy road. They display, sell, handle all the paperwork, and get a cut / display fee from the seller. The lot has over 70 cars. In other words, it is all private sellers but I'm not actually TALKING to the seller, but a middle-man you can say. Not a dealership though.

In other words, this is a private seller being sold by a middle-man. I might go pay $70 for a little check up on it to see what is up with it. It's a clean G though (exterior).
Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Dreamerzcc

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JinV36
It's a business. In other words, it's a business who owns a decent sized piece of land on a busy road. They display, sell, handle all the paperwork, and get a cut / display fee from the seller. The lot has over 70 cars. In other words, it is all private sellers but I'm not actually TALKING to the seller, but a middle-man you can say. Not a dealership though.

In other words, this is a private seller being sold by a middle-man. I might go pay $70 for a little check up on it to see what is up with it. It's a clean G though (exterior).
Don't know where you are located but when I bought mine on 3-25-15 I took it to my mechanic at our local infiniti dealer and he looked it over for free since we take our FX35, V-8 Pathfinder and I also took my traded Xterra there. Sometimes when you stick with the same mechanic the little things you may not have to pay for. I would call your local infiniti dealer and see if they will look at it and promise them some business. Thats how I got started. I have dealt with the same service advisor for 6 years now. Everything except the FX35 has the extended warranty and I pay $0 deductible. FX35 only has 19K on it. Good luck and trust your gut feeling.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:59 AM
Eldan
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JinV36
That sounds like a curbstoning operation, which is definitely a red flag. The real "seller" is probably a dealer and if the car was any good it would be on their own lot.

Having said that, a struggling but successful start is probably just a weak battery.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:01 AM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Its called a cosignment lot, not a big deal and fairly common. Private owner isn't available 12 hours a day/7 days a week to show the vehicle, has no access to financing, not interested in advertising, doesn't want Charles Manson coming to his house via a Craigslist ad, so he splits a percentage of the sale proceeds with the cosignment lot owner. Nothing new. Little dust under the hood won't hurt anything, if anything I'd be skeptical of a super clean engine bay drenched with tire shine.

In reality, this is one of the better ways to buy. Private owner isn't trying to offload a troubled car on an unsuspecting dealer. He/she has the means to own a $20K vehicle but not use it for a month. 61K on a 2010 hardly sounds beatup.

If you are looking for the absolute cheapest G, expect to find some with issues.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:04 AM
TheG35Dude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my opinion if someone lets their car get that dirty under the hood they are not maintaining it properly. I would definitely take it to a mechanic.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:06 AM
JinV36

Originally Posted by GAWD
Its called a cosignment lot, not a big deal and fairly common. Private owner isn't available 12 hours a day/7 days a week to show the vehicle, has no access to financing, not interested in advertising, doesn't want Charles Manson coming to his house via a Craigslist ad, so he splits a percentage of the sale proceeds with the cosignment lot owner. Nothing new. Little dust under the hood won't hurt anything, if anything I'd be skeptical of a super clean engine bay drenched with tire shine.

In reality, this is one of the better ways to buy. Private owner isn't trying to offload a troubled car on an unsuspecting dealer. He/she has the means to own a $20K vehicle but not use it for a month. 61K on a 2010 hardly sounds beatup.

If you are looking for the absolute cheapest G, expect to find some with issues.
This man knows what he's talking about haha. Exactly as he said. I see them everywhere ? In california at least. But my question is this.

Do you guys think it's probably a weak battery? Is it worth it by looking at the picture to do further examination and inspection by taking it to a shop.

There's this G for 17.5gs ish, clean title, 60k, middle man private dealer. I can probably get this one and only this one down to maybe 16-16500

Another 37 for $18.8 with 55k, looks way cleaner (appearance wise, no dust, etc) at a toyota dealership. 3 owners. Clean title.

Another g37 for 19.3k wid 70k miles from an Audi dealership. 3 owners. Looks cleaner again.

What would yall do with these options and price ranges

Quick Reply: Question about start up (buying g37)