G37 Sedan

Drove a Q50 AWD loaner for a day - my observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:12 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by serega13
They made a step towards more luxury, less sportiness, better MPG and less NVH with their non Sport Q50 model. That's why they went with electric steering to save 1mpg or so instead of old hydraulic steering and most former G owners hated it so now they are going back to old hydraulic. Funny thing is, most other car makes have electric steering and their owners have no idea their steering can be as good as in a G. Try a brand new BMW and their steering is terrible even though it used to be pretty good back in the day so all companies are headed in that direction of government mandated MPG limits, less noise, more comfort more electronics.

If you want something better handling and sportier, go for Q50S (which is not much better honestly) or just wait for the real deal which is new Q60. That car will be designed from the ground up including the new engine with emphasis on acceleration and handling.
False. The base model Q50 has power hydraulic steering (and always has), which is the same as the G37. Direct adaptive electronic steering is an option, an option which has been tacked onto the sport models (recently debundled). Therefore, the sport model would have "less sporty steering". Also, since the sport model doesn't have any power increase, and it has larger wheels and heavier rotors, the base model is historically lighter and faster than it's sport counterpart in the Infiniti lineup. So in summary, "going for the Q50S" doesn't equate to better handling and being sportier. Waiting for the "real deal Q60" is also a gamble since not much has been confirmed about the car. I know a lot of people wouldn't call it a "real deal sports car" without a manual transmission option which doesn't seem likely at this point (even though I personally don't believe manual transmissions are the only transmission appropriate for a true sports car).

I like to make posts based off information that can be supported by facts...
http://www.infinitiusa.com/sedan/q50/models-specs.html
Old 03-13-2015, 10:20 AM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Serpens
They didn't just go to electric steering, they went to drive by wire. And it really wasn't fully cooked yet- with continued development I'm positive the system will improve. As far as BMW's are concerned, the key is to spec them properly. The M-sport models are still great.
Originally Posted by Ryne
False. The base model Q50 has power hydraulic steering (and always has), which is the same as the G37.
I'm just going by what the experts in the auto industry say, although they have modified the article since the last time I read it, previously it said that all Q50 come with electric steering. Now it says that only 2016+ Q50 will get steering from G37.

Infiniti Q50S to Get G37-Derived Steering System for 2016 ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Last edited by serega13; 03-13-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by serega13
I'm just going by what the experts in the auto industry say, although they have modified the article since the last time I read it, previously it said that all Q50 come with electric steering.

Quote from your linked article:
Infiniti Q50S to Get G37-Derived Steering System for 2016 ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
Your article was correct, something was just lost in translation when you posted here that ALL Q50s have electronic steering. All Q50's do not, and did not, come with electronic steering. Base models have always had hydraulic steering.

"We’re talking about the Q50′s base hydraulic steering setup, not Infiniti’s wonky Direct Active Steer (DAS) option, a drive-by-wire system that offers zero road feel and lacks precision. While the base system is certainly the more preferable of the two, the motoring press and the enthusiast communities have been vocal in their dismay that neither system is as good as the heavenly steering in the beloved G37."

Summary:
Base = Nonsport = more preferable (sporty) steering system <----- Obviously, until Infiniti removes DAS from the sport model in the coming year

Infiniti is back tracking and unbundling the direct adaptive steering (DAS) from the sport models, but the base model has always had hydraulic steering.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Takran
Some Guy

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
Your article was correct, something was just lost in translation when you posted here that ALL Q50s have electronic steering. All Q50's do not, and did not, come with electronic steering. Base models have always had hydraulic steering.

"We’re talking about the Q50′s base hydraulic steering setup, not Infiniti’s wonky Direct Active Steer (DAS) option, a drive-by-wire system that offers zero road feel and lacks precision. While the base system is certainly the more preferable of the two, the motoring press and the enthusiast communities have been vocal in their dismay that neither system is as good as the heavenly steering in the beloved G37."

Summary:
Base = Nonsport = more preferable (sporty) steering system <----- Obviously, until Infiniti removes DAS from the sport model in the coming year

Infiniti is back tracking and unbundling the direct adaptive steering (DAS) from the sport models, but the base model has always had hydraulic steering.
As he said, the article (in fact, multiple articles from various auto publications) originally said the base steering was electric, which created some confusion. I'm also not sure where you're getting the idea that the Q50S is bundled with DAS, as it is not nor has ever been AFAIK. It's bundled with the Deluxe Touring package, which certainly is annoying and should be de-bundled - or bundled with the tech package, which is for people that can't drive anyways.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:14 AM
itengineer
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you, like us, have been disappointed in Infiniti’s aloof Q50 sedan as the ostensible replacement for the sporty G37—which, incidentally, Infiniti still sells as the “Q40″ for 2015—we have good news. The Q50S model is set to get considerably more sporty for 2016, thanks to a retro revision headed where the car needs it most: the steering rack.

We’re talking about the Q50′s base hydraulic steering setup, not Infiniti’s wonky Direct Active Steer (DAS) option, a drive-by-wire system that offers zero road feel and lacks precision. While the base system is certainly the more preferable of the two, the motoring press and the enthusiast communities have been vocal in their dismay that neither system is as good as the heavenly steering in the beloved G37. Happily, Infiniti got enthusiasts’ message and is looking to the past to cure its current sins. Speaking with Infiniti’s head of product planning, Keith St. Clair, we’ve learned that the brand is working on ditching the Q50’s base power steering in favor of a rack derived from the good old G.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:20 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by mcola
I found the inside of the Q to feel a little bigger, but the trunk is tiny, perhaps because its very shallow. At least the back seat folds down in the Q.
I don't think you can fold the rear bench. Trunk is shallow but it makes it easy to load and unload.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:58 PM
mcola
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
I don't think you can fold the rear bench,

It does. When I traded my Mazda6 in to get the G, I forgot to bring the summer tire package I had for the car, and had to load them into the loaner Q I got because my G wasn't ready. The only way I was able to get 2 in the trunk was with the seat down, and the other 2 had to go on the folded seat.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:14 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by mcola
It does. When I traded my Mazda6 in to get the G, I forgot to bring the summer tire package I had for the car, and had to load them into the loaner Q I got because my G wasn't ready. The only way I was able to get 2 in the trunk was with the seat down, and the other 2 had to go on the folded seat.
Negative. Not sure why I'm unable to locate the lever to fold seat down in the 2014 Q50. Looked everywhere in the trunk and the seat. How did you fold it??? As far as I know sedans never fold unlike the coupes.

edit: lol it's a bs optional package 60/40 split

Last edited by HoldmyMouse; 03-16-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 PM
mcola
Registered Member

Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
Negative. Not sure why I'm unable to locate the lever to fold seat down in the 2014 Q50. Looked everywhere in the trunk and the seat. How did you fold it??? As far as I know sedans never fold unlike the coupes.

edit: lol it's a bs optional package 60/40 split

Positive! I don't know why yours doesn't go down. It did on my loaner.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:11 PM
mcola
Registered Member

Looks to only be available in the Premium trim level when the Deluxe Touring package is selected.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 PM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I had a Q50 with the DAS for five days as a loaner and don't understand what all the hate is about. Yes, there is no actual connection with the steering wheel and road, but in terms of driving experience, it feels great. No road vibrations through the wheel and sport mode stiffens up the steering considerably and steering ratio is tight. When I got back in my G with sways, springs, strut bar, and 19"s, it felt damn loose and I thought something needed readjustment. I had a Q50 w/o DAS for a couple days and the steering was noticeably less sporty than the G. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:02 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
I got use to the remote control steering. Had the car for over a year. It's okay for a Family Sedan but not worth the extra $$$ we had to dish out for it.

DAS (dumb-*** steering) should be a standalone package. NOT lumped in with the touring package.

Infiniti knows no one wants this car so they had to lump it in another package to make a claim that it's selling and it's something people want. They got it wrong and it looks like Infiniti will leave it out for 2016.

I wouldn't want this remote control steering on a sports car.

My previous G coupe with rear-active steering was a better option. It hugs the curve and changing lane was smooooth.

On some of the Q50, you cannot fold down the seats. It depends on the package you choose.

Infiniti is trying to push DAS on the new Q60 coupe. Not sure I would trust this type of steering on a high-performance sports car. It's just too sketchy.

People in cold weather had the steering wheel stop working on them. There was a recall that fixed it.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 AM
joebrez

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nissan/Infiniti did this in the late 90's also, they tried to become a high volume seller like Toyota. In the early 90's, Nissan/Infiniti had a great line of performing cars; 300ZXTT, Sentra SE-R, 240SX, Max, Q45 and J30. The problem is nobody bought them but enthusiasts. Car magazines loved them. Enthusiasts loved them.

The late 90's proved a bust, as they focused on Toyota sales number. The strong YEN introduced cost cutting measures such as the "Multi-Link BEAM" rear suspension system, and the death of most of those previously mentioned early 90's cars (in soul, not in name).

Then into the early 2000's, where unfortunately they needed to get bailed out by Renault, the infusion of French money allowed them to begin their return to better platforms. The 350Z and G35 FM Chassis led the way and eventually led Nissan and Infiniti into MUCH better vehicles by the late 2000's.

I hope the Q50 isn't an indication of Nissan's quest for Toyota Sales numbers again. It has always led to boring replacements.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:43 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Q50 has an optional stand alone 60/40 split seat as of 15. In 14 it was only on Deluxe Touring. Remove the spare tire and the foam base. Then you have the largest trunk in its class.

After all, who need spare tire package when it comes with run flats and you have 4 years of road side assistance for free? We have been ordering more Q50s with out the spare tire package and with the 60/40. People see that as a fair trade off.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:32 AM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by joebrez
Nissan/Infiniti did this in the late 90's also, they tried to become a high volume seller like Toyota. In the early 90's, Nissan/Infiniti had a great line of performing cars; 300ZXTT, Sentra SE-R, 240SX, Max, Q45 and J30. The problem is nobody bought them but enthusiasts. Car magazines loved them. Enthusiasts loved them.

The late 90's proved a bust, as they focused on Toyota sales number. The strong YEN introduced cost cutting measures such as the "Multi-Link BEAM" rear suspension system, and the death of most of those previously mentioned early 90's cars (in soul, not in name).

Then into the early 2000's, where unfortunately they needed to get bailed out by Renault, the infusion of French money allowed them to begin their return to better platforms. The 350Z and G35 FM Chassis led the way and eventually led Nissan and Infiniti into MUCH better vehicles by the late 2000's.

I hope the Q50 isn't an indication of Nissan's quest for Toyota Sales numbers again. It has always led to boring replacements.
This is exactly what they are doing going after better sales figures. At the end of the day Nissan can be loved by enthusiasts and become collectors cars but this doesnt help them stay afloat since car people are not the mainstream.

Look at what happened to the Supra or is happening to the Scion FRS, car people love these cars but they dont sell as well as the Camry no one goes on and on about how great a Camry is but they sell like hotcakes.
Honda gave up the NSX, Prelude to focus on Civic and Accords. I am only guessing that Infiniti figured people that shell out 40-50k for a car are not focused on performance but more on the velvet comforts of a Lexus.

Now if Infiniti / Nissan is listening experiment with a $50k GTR under either brand. I am pretty sure all the people leaving the brand because of the Q will be back quick!

Quick Reply: Drove a Q50 AWD loaner for a day - my observations